Uke upgrade

Still Water Weapons

Reaction score
I have been lurking and learning a lot from all you guys. I am a beginner and I am looking to upgrade from my Makala. I was considering a Kala SC but now I am looking at a Kamoa E3-C, solid Spruce and Maple, from MIM. The other possibility is a Pono with a blem from HMS, price of those two being equal, which do you like? I have looked around quite a bit and while the Ponos have great comments, so does Kamoa although there are very few mentions of them.

I like the look of Spruce and gloss, but I am willing to give up the gloss for sound. Being a wood worker, I am not a big fan of Mahogany, I just think it's kind of boring looking. I have to admit though, I like the clean look of the Pono.

As I write this, I feel I'm leaning towards the Kamoa, so I guess the question has become, can I go wrong with that one, set up by MIM?

Thanks for your thoughts and all the opinions I have been reading.

Chris

Pono's are very high quality uke's!

They're right up there with the K-brands!...But, it's up to you. If you like the look and sound of the Kamoa, I say go for it.

Welcome Still Water Weapons,
You are on the right track as a woodworker, I have a solid maple with a cedar top tenor I made in 1976. I would only swap it for a new car. HaHa!! So I guess I would go for the spruce and maple Kamoa.
Jim

I upgraded a few months ago. Starting with a Stagg soprano laminate, I then bought a Pono Acacia Concert from Ukerepublic and I am quite happy with it. Not that I ever played either a Kamoa or Kala, I can only say that I am having fun playing my Pono.

Main reason why I chose that one over others (don't remember which ones I also had a look at) was that I liked the look of it and I did not find any bad reviews for it. If there is a place somewhere where you could playtest all of these that would probably be the best way to decide. If there is no option like that for you, I guess you will be fine with any of those brands.

I'm a woodworker, too. I have 2 mahogany Mainlands and I can assure you the grain patter is not boring, such as basswood, red oak, etc.. I got the gloss finish. The resonance is phenomenal!

Love my Pono mahogany concert....would love to compare it to those Kamoas, have my eye on the Grand concert

I agree about the Mainland mahogany gloss. I got my first last week and can't stop looking at it long enough to play it.

I would choose sound over looks any day......saying that mahagany is my best choice...nice warm tones....it has lasted through the test of time....can't say that for the others except koa..
yup, I would go for the mahogany mainland....you won't be sorry in that price range....to me you get the best bargin for the price...and it's a real fun uke...Good Luck...Happy Strummings

I just got the Mainland Red Cedar Concert and it is absolutely gorgeous and sounds beautiful.

Great, just what I needed MORE CHOICES!! Thanks guys!:confused:

Seriously though, those are very nice and they are in the price range I want to be in. The Red Cedar with Rosewood is interesting, but out of stock.

So another big question...

Am I going to get a lot of more/better sound out of a Uke in the $200+ price range over my Makala? I recently had a Cordoba at home that was double the cost of the Makala, fit and finish were very nice and it was great to hold, but it sounded the same. My Girlfriend who has played violin for 10 years couldn't tell the difference when blindly listening. Keep in mind I'm not much of a player. LOL

Thanks!
Chris

I upgraded (slightly) just recently to the Kamoa E3 tenor and I love it - the factory installed pickup is a great option, sounds great for the extra $$$..... I got it from Mike at Uke Repbulic here in Atlanta. While in the store, I played almost everything else comparably priced that he had on the wall and there was no comparison, IMHO.... I really dig the Mainland red cedar, as well - there's one of those, for low G tuning, in my near future..... I've played a few different instruments from Pono, as well - they are nicely made, play well, and sound great, but for my style and preferences for feel and tone, the Kamoa and Mainland are both hard to beat.....

Top Bottom