Alternate Uke Tunings?

ToneMasterDelux

Reaction score
First off, I am new to ukuleles and this forum, I have either a Soprano or Tenor Banjolele (if you know how to find out please tell me the neck is 17 frets and roughly a foot long)

Anyways I tuned it to my own liking because it sounded best for a song I was writing, the tuning is Ab Eb Gbb(F) Bb (I had to use a guitar tuner)

What I would like to know is if this is okay for the neck/ hardware. I don't want to warp anything or cause too much tension. Thanks.

First off, I am new to ukuleles and this forum, I have either a Soprano or Tenor Banjolele (if you know how to find out please tell me the neck is 17 frets and roughly a foot long)

Anyways I tuned it to my own liking because it sounded best for a song I was writing, the tuning is Ab Eb Gbb(F) Bb (I had to use a guitar tuner)

What I would like to know is if this is okay for the neck/ hardware. I don't want to warp anything or cause too much tension. Thanks.

Maybe swap that C string (that you've tuned to Eb) to an E string, but aside from that the rest should be fine since you're only tuning up a half step.

... I have either a Soprano or Tenor Banjolele (if you know how to find out please tell me the neck is 17 frets and roughly a foot long)

Measure from your nut to your saddle (the two "bones"). If this distance is around 13", you have a Soprano, around 15", a Concert, and around 17" a Tenor.

The tuning you reference is E flat, an old tuning sometimes used on Sopranos and handy today on Sopraninos and the like. It's a step up from the old "ukulele standard" tuning of D and 2 steps up from where most of the modern players tune - to key of C.

It's unlikely this would cause problems on a Soprano, but it all depends on the strings - everyone has their own idea on where tension should be on C tuning, so there's no consistency from one string maker to the next. If you like the E flat tuning, you'll just need to keep trying until you find something that's comfortable and sounds good.

Our Light Gauges may be a good option for that.

Measure from your nut to your saddle (the two "bones"). If this distance is around 13", you have a Soprano, around 15", a Concert, and around 17" a Tenor.

The tuning you reference is E flat, an old tuning sometimes used on Sopranos and handy today on Sopraninos and the like. It's a step up from the old "ukulele standard" tuning of D and 2 steps up from where most of the modern players tune - to key of C.

It's unlikely this would cause problems on a Soprano, but it all depends on the strings - everyone has their own idea on where tension should be on C tuning, so there's no consistency from one string maker to the next. If you like the E flat tuning, you'll just need to keep trying until you find something that's comfortable and sounds good.

Our Light Gauges may be a good option for that.
I currently use super light strings (it was made to use steel ball ends), I measured to the bridge (which is moveable btw since its a banjolele) and got about 13in, the neck itself is 8 1/2 in long from nut to last fret.

Top Bottom