Another First Uke Thread

MoonBoots432

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking at getting a uke, but I need to know some things about Tenor vs. Concert. I'm pretty sure I don't want a soprano or baritone. For the record, I do play guitar, but that is sort of irrelevant, since I'm not worried about it being similar to guitar or something. I just kind of want to know what the general thought is on Concert versus Tenor (Number of frets, preference in tone, etc.), I'm not worried about one being larger and easier for me to play or anything. If anyone knows what type of uke Zach Condon from Beirut plays, that would be awesome to know as well.

I'm looking to spend up to $200. I sort of want a familiar brand of uke, not some near unheard of company or anything. Places to buy as well? I'm not looking for a beginner uke per say, I don't want to upgrade for a while, unless 200 dollars is not enough.

Lastly, if anyone could kind of give me a spiel on strings, that would be awesome. This is kind of demanding, but greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Looking at these:
Lanikai CK - T Tenor - Bit spendy, but doable.
Mitchell Concert Size 12-Fret Ukelele - Looks iffy to me.
Lanikai LU21C Concert Ukulele - Beginner?
Lanikai LU21T Tenor Ukulele
Or none of these?

Last edited:
check the kala's here: MGM

concerts are nice to start on, but i like the depth of tenors. sopranos are high pitched and unique as a size. concert is between soprano/tenor. i like tenors better. most professional ukulele players play tenors. ex. jake shimabukuro, aldrine, raiatea helm, brittni paiva, etc.

as for strings, theres plenty of threads on this here, use the search function. generally, you have to keep trying til u find what u like.

see this thread which basically asks the same question with one exception, you have a bit more of a budget. You'll notice numerous referrals to MGM and that's a good thing. Check out his sight, you'll have a wider selection to choose from in that price range.

I purchased a Mitchell MU-70 2 weeks ago at guitar center here in Minneapolis. The first couple days it would go flat after a few minutes of playing mostly on the A and E strings. After about a week of playing it stays in tune no problem. I like the sound now that I am starting to understand how to play it. Intonation is fine, finger board is straight and it looks pretty good as well. GC gave a 30 day return no questions asked, so I had nothing to lose. All in all I think that for the money it is just right. Some day I will graduate to an all Koa uke, and I am in the process of building myself a concert out of Marblewood. So far so good. about 2 weeks I will be playing it.

Cool - take a few pics of your build so the rest of us can envy your work.

Hi, I am looking at getting a uke, but I need to know some things about Tenor vs. Concert. I'm pretty sure I don't want a soprano or baritone. For the record, I do play guitar, but that is sort of irrelevant, since I'm not worried about it being similar to guitar or something. I just kind of want to know what the general thought is on Concert versus Tenor (Number of frets, preference in tone, etc.), I'm not worried about one being larger and easier for me to play or anything. If anyone knows what type of uke Zach Condon from Beirut plays, that would be awesome to know as well.

I'm looking to spend up to $200. I sort of want a familiar brand of uke, not some near unheard of company or anything. Places to buy as well? I'm not looking for a beginner uke per say, I don't want to upgrade for a while, unless 200 dollars is not enough.

Lastly, if anyone could kind of give me a spiel on strings, that would be awesome. This is kind of demanding, but greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Looking at these:
Lanikai CK - T Tenor - Bit spendy, but doable.
Mitchell Concert Size 12-Fret Ukelele - Looks iffy to me.
Lanikai LU21C Concert Ukulele - Beginner?
Lanikai LU21T Tenor Ukulele
Or none of these?

Hey MGM always gets good reviews from the guys who buy from him so he'd be your best bet for Kala etc.

I have the concert version of the Lanikai CK uke and can't fault it. I think the tenor version would be really good cos it has a greater range for you to work with.

The Lanikai is a solid instrument and sounds really good. Even with the standard strings I really liked it, I just changed my strings to D'Addario Pro Arte strings (from the UU store) and to be honest I can't tell that much of a difference but they do feel a lot smoother and the sustain is better. The uke stays in tune all of the time, looks good and feels good, I'd say go for it!

John

So of the Lanikai CK-T or this Kala Tenor uke, which would people say?

Sorry about being so needy, I just don't want to buy a uke I'm not going to be happy with.

The Lanikai is Koa body, Rosewood fretboard, but the Kala is all mahogany. Thoughts?

Sorry about being so needy, I just don't want to buy a uke I'm not going to be happy with.

The Lanikai is Koa body, Rosewood fretboard, but the Kala is all mahogany. Thoughts?

Of those two I personally would probably go with the Kala. You get a soild body uke and MGM's setup plus a case. I also have a Kala and have been pretty pleased with it so far.

95% of the time when faced with a decision between a solid wood instrument and a laminated wood instrument, I'd go with the solid one.

A solid wood instrument will have more projection, sound more complex, have more sustain, and will sound better over time as it "settles."

Go with the Kala.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Unless someone has a different one, you can let this die.

Top Bottom