how many ukes do you have?

One and a half.

Of course, the one is my favourite. It's a soprano by Pablo Kiernan, an Argentinian luthier. It is very well built, and sound very good, although not so good with the current strings I have on it (classic guitar strings... I can get ukulele strings now, who would guess I'd have to move to a country with a tenth of the population to find a music store that carried them, and about five different types). The only thing about it is that as I'm learning more, I'm noticing the intonation is not as perfect on the higher frets, but that might be my technique (if I fret too hard the note can be a bit sharp, am I right).

The half one is a very very cheap chinese ukulele I bought at a music shop just to have something to strum on while I waited the three months it took Pablo Kiernan to build the one. It was completely unplayable out of the box. I may now take some tools to it and turn it into at least a beater for when small kids or big drunks are around.

I'm thinking of expanding the family quite drastically, though. I'd like to have a concert and a tenor, so I'm evaluating a couple of different makers to buy from. And I may do some long trip through Latinamerica next year, so I'm quite tempted to get one of those plastic ukes that are on kickstarter now to just tie it to my backpack and not worry about getting it wet, dirty or anything.

Counting the busted up project and the one under construction? Six. No! Seven. Oh wait, no, I have eight, Yeah. Eight.

5 (see my sig), Dolphin number two is my favourite.

I have now 6, waiting for number 7 in a few months.
Favorite is the last one, a Glyph tenor I waited for 3 years... and then the Pineapple made by Gérard (French amateur luthier, but great instrument) But I love all the collection, the Brüko n°6 is a sweet little friend and I recommand it to everyone starting with uke, the vintage supertone is a great player, and the banjos fun and fun ! Next on will be also a Brüko, but a custom one... I'll tell more when arrived home.

I have several. Among them: Baritones: Mya-Moe myrtle, Kamaka, Pono mahogany; tenors: MM myrtle, two Kamaka HF-3s and one Kamaka 8-string, a Pono mahogany 6-string, a Willie Wixom off-the-rack koa, a Big Island Honu Traditional koa, a Kala solid acacia, a Kala thinline travel tenor, and a KoAloha. I also have a Kamaka concert and a rebuilt Kamaka soprano. The others don't get played much and I'm in the process of considering whether to sell them or donate them to music programs for kids.

See my Signature line for details.

Favourite aesthetically is the Kala Tenor - but I've had a lot of fun lately with my little green dolphin.

Last edited:
About 17 - my Koaloha Soprano and Kanile'a tenor are those I would run into a burning building to save.

Four.
Favourite being the one I'm playing at the time.

A lot. Someone would come and lock me up if the true number were revealed, and another one is arriving today (Brian Griffin Tenor # 28, henceforth known as "The McLaren"). After this one, I'm done (except for the Mya-Moes and Brad Donaldson in the works).

I like some more than others, but it's hard to pick a favorite, since some are good for one thing and some for another. The one I've been using this week while practicing (lesson tonight!) is my Pono all-rosewood tenor.

Kathryn

Last edited:
14, with one more on the way soon.

L to R. Moore Bettah Cutaway, Collings UT-1, Kamaka Liliu six string, Kamaka HF-3, William King Claro Walnut/Spruce long scale tenor, Moore Bettah slotted headstock, Moore Bettah "Phoenix", KoAloha Crown bridge tenor, KoAloha pikake concert, soprano flea (my son's), tenor Tiki flea, Custom painted tenor Fluke, Singing Treholipee.

Camera shy: Polk-A-lay-lee, tenor flea(at work)
On the way: Custom Boat Paddle

001-7.jpg

14 After I send my Cordoba tenor to my grand daughter. After my pre-war Martin O, it would have to be my Mele all solid koa tenor, then my Pono mahogany concert, then ??? My new Bruce Wei is climbing up the list though. Sounding better as those new Aquila strings settle in. I'm still going to have it "fine tuned" by my luthier.

Top Bottom