Hibiscus Fretboard markers

Nice. They look Devine

Allen I wish I could say that I made them myself. These are Maple overlaid onto a backing.

Beau are you being factitious?

Wow, nice. I just wanted black fret markers and couldn't get them. Yours are hibiscus!

Beau are you being factitious?

HAhaha- No. Whenever i see that flower, i think of devine.
I think the fret markers look pretty good- I saw something similar in a...kinda..native american bead shop- heaps of designs but they all were a touch to big for frets, but good for headstock inlay. I think they were laser cut maple.

Beau, Devine may have popularized the flower sound hole, he was by far not the first to do such a profile. ANd yes I do admire Devine his work is amazingly beautiful.

Beau, Devine may have popularized the flower sound hole, he was by far not the first to do such a profile. ANd yes I do admire Devine his work is amazingly beautiful.

Aloha...
what kind of bracing do you use and why did you go with the flower sound hole instead if a round one?

The bracing is traditional fan bracing. The hibiscus sound hole just gives it an island feel. Something slightly different as I am bored with a standard round hole.Although I will say now that I've done 6 with the hibiscus sound hole I'm bored with that now as well. Time for some exotic rosettes.

The bracing is traditional fan bracing. The hibiscus sound hole just gives it an island feel. Something slightly different as I am bored with a standard round hole.Although I will say now that I've done 6 with the hibiscus sound hole I'm bored with that now as well. Time for some exotic rosettes.

hey bruddah..do you build at home or what..i am going to move back to oahu to retire..taking the hanalima classes when i get back//did you start there..i am doing just as a hobby..how do you finish your ukes tru oil?or other stuff

Definitely take the Hana Lima classes. Mike is a wealth of information. I use True Oil as a finish but am getting ready to experiment with some other finishes such as French polish, lacquer ( sprayed on) and possibly some water based finishes.

Definitely take the Hana Lima classes. Mike is a wealth of information. I use True Oil as a finish but am getting ready to experiment with some other finishes such as French polish, lacquer ( sprayed on) and possibly some water based finishes.

MMstan has a contact on oahu who does finish for ukes/guitars..(i like the nitrocelluose lacquer)if i build a uke that looks okay i might go with him..i think getting a nice gloss finish takes time/talent..and the right tools/work space..

Last edited:
Top Bottom