Aloha Spirit re: "No Bashing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just read my morning meditation and I felt like I wanted to share a part of it, with a very slight edit:

"we know that our duty is to speak words of hope and love, not condemnation and antagonism. With the right attitude of love and kindness, we can create an atmosphere where people, especially people who think differently than you are lifted up, an atmosphere where the truth is spoken gently, kindly, and respectfully."

Many new ukers visit our forums, filled with the newly discovered "Joy of Uke". Some are naive, full of hope and wonderment, some are short on financial resources, seeking instruments that they can love, play well, and afford. I believe they deserve kind "mentorship", especially when they ask questions and guidance about instruments
that aren't exactly on our "A" list. They ask for our guidance. Do not ignore them.

I think that we do an admirable job. I also think that some of us could do better. All of us were noobs once.

ALOHA to a bunch of great ukers!

Aloha Phil,
I agree the we should welcome the new members and guide them with graciousness so they too can pass on
the Aloha spirit here...when I started, I got me a soprano Rogue and it is still one of my favorite go to ukes.
some of the most budget friendly ukes are the most fun for me still...sure it's nice to have beautiful expensive
ukes, but when you're starting it is not necessary...main thing you have fun with your uke and here at the UU.
Happy Strummings..

I just read my morning meditation and I felt like I wanted to share a part of it, with a very slight edit:

"we know that our duty is to speak words of hope and love, not condemnation and antagonism. With the right attitude of love and kindness, we can create an atmosphere where people, especially people who think differently than you are lifted up, an atmosphere where the truth is spoken gently, kindly, and respectfully."

Many new ukers visit our forums, filled with the newly discovered "Joy of Uke". Some are naive, full of hope and wonderment, some are short on financial resources, seeking instruments that they can love, play well, and afford. I believe they deserve kind "mentorship", especially when they ask questions and guidance about instruments
that aren't exactly on our "A" list. They ask for our guidance. Do not ignore them.

I think that we do an admirable job. I also think that some of us could do better. All of us were noobs once.

:agree: with this! I couldn't have put it better myself :D

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment you've expressed here. It's also been my experience that the "bashers" tend to go away eventually when the "fuzzy bunnies" can't be provoked into a full blown argument, or the bunnies gather to admonish the basher . . . or the mods step in and keep everything on the up and up. In any case the "bashers" tend to lose interest and wander off. I LOVE the peeps on UU and I'm thankful to Aaron, Ryan and Aldrine that they let us play here on their playground.

Very good post!

Most people don't have a budget available for K-brands or custom-made ukes and there are plenty of good-quality affordable ukes to recommend. A lot of people turn to the ukulele because it is a fun and inexpensive instrument, and that's a very valid reason. People shouldn't need to feel that they have to invest lots of money to have a good uke and have fun playing, or that they need to own 417 ukes... ;-)

There's something for everyone in this community, let's embrace it and celebrate it. It's all about having fun :)

True dat.

I think a lot of times people think they are being funny when they are really coming across as mean. Text is a tricky medium and we should all be aware that for every 5 people reading our words, there are 5 different interpretations of what we meant.

I don't go out of my way to buy expensive ukes for two reasons 1. I can't afford them 2. With a little tinkering a less expensive one can sound great.

Very true statement about the medium of text Freeda. Many people misinterpret the sentiment of the content.

I think there needs to be a healthy balance between the two.
I've also seen the opposite where someone had a legitimate complaint and it got panned by fans of that particular brand or seller.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment you've expressed here. It's also been my experience that the "bashers" tend to go away eventually when the "fuzzy bunnies" can't be provoked into a full blown argument, or the bunnies gather to admonish the basher . . . or the mods step in and keep everything on the up and up. In any case the "bashers" tend to lose interest and wander off. I LOVE the peeps on UU and I'm thankful to Aaron, Ryan and Aldrine that they let us play here on their playground.

I think a lot of times people think they are being funny when they are really coming across as mean. Text is a tricky medium and we should all be aware that for every 5 people reading our words, there are 5 different interpretations of what we meant.
There is also the fact that we have quite a few members for whom English is not their native language. Then we have the Brits and the Aussies who speak a whole 'nother version of English than us 'mericans. ;)

I was called out by a moderator for being a sarcastic jackass on one of my very first posts. And rightfully so.

...and I felt doubly bad. Not just because I had inadvertently offended, but also because I'd worked so hard on the post.

It's something I have to be careful about in general--Focusing energies in the Right Place.

I agree all parts what OP said. I remembered when I came here in ~1yr ago, it was friendly and warmly welcomed new comer by others.
Now you can see some new faces post in Marketplace, or join a long(fighting) thread to say whatever he wants. I don't think it is because we don't accept new friend to come, it is actually because UU grows bigger and bigger then finally it reaches a point that we don't know people as 'friends' anymore.

Pretty sad, lately I am just coming here to see my private message with few friends, and check the first few threads in Market place and Uke talk. Then I will just leave. I am scared to check any thread longer than 3 pages because I don't need to read through someone else's shitty joke then it is the bomb to cause a flamewar. I don't even go back to check the old thread I posted and what others said after.

I agree all parts what OP said. I remembered when I came here in ~1yr ago, it was friendly and warmly welcomed new comer by others.
Now you can see some new faces post in Marketplace, or join a long(fighting) thread to say whatever he wants. I don't think it is because we don't accept new friend to come, it is actually because UU grows bigger and bigger then finally it reaches a point that we don't know people as 'friends' anymore.

Pretty sad, lately I am just coming here to see my private message with few friends, and check the first few threads in Market place and Uke talk. Then I will just leave. I am scared to check any thread longer than 3 pages because I don't need to read through someone else's shitty joke then it is the bomb to cause a flamewar. I don't even go back to check the old thread I posted and what others said after.

We are UU, we make it good and unfortunately we can make it bad. If there is something that you don't like, make sure to balance it out with something positive. Walking away is not the answer. UU should never become a we / they sort of place, it is a community based on joy and respect.

I don't have much experience with internet communities like this..... my first exposure - I spent a short while at a forum linked to a political news site and quickly realized it - like most forums - was a complete waste of time, worse than a slumber party full of dull and spiteful 13 year old girls - and the grammar was even worse. It made me realize that arguing about anything with relative strangers online - especially religion or politics - is the sure sign of nothing better to do and somewhat masturbatory.

My second experience was on a guitar forum and it was better. Some really talented, helpful people but tinged with a slight undercurrent of ego and machismo that was not very welcoming. Lots of good information, but a fair amount of silly arguing and name calling by otherwise reasonable-seeming adults. But it did lead me here....

And this place is great. I can see why some folks might be put off by the super-positivity, but it's a lot better than the alternative. In my opinion, the heavy moderation is a good thing - all that negative crap is really just a waste of time for reasonable people who just want information and educational interaction with like-minded ukers. Plus, with the volume of traffic here, it seems to be the widest information base and the best clearinghouse of all things ukulele related out there. All things considered, this place pretty much polices itself - the flies in the ointment are pretty few and far between and the moderators do a great job of mopping up the rest. When it's all said and done, I'll take people being too nice to each other over childish bull$hit any day.

Last edited:
I don't have much experience with internet communities like this..... my first exposure - I spent a short while at a forum linked to a political news site and quickly realized it - like most forums - was a complete waste of time, worse than a slumber party full of dull and spiteful 13 year old girls - and the grammar was even worse. It made me realize that arguing about anything with relative strangers online - especially religion or politics - is the sure sign of nothing better to do and somewhat masturbatory.

My second experience was on a guitar forum and it was better. Some really talented, helpful people but tinged with a slight undercurrent of ego and machismo that was not very welcoming. Lots of good information, but a fair amount of silly arguing and name calling by otherwise reasonable-seeming adults. But it did lead me here....

And this place is great. I can see why some folks might be put off by the super-positivity, but it's a lot better than the alternative. In my opinion, the heavy moderation is a good thing - all that negative crap is really just a waste of time for reasonable people who just want information and educational interaction with like-minded ukers. Plus, with the volume of traffic here, it seems to be the widest information base and the best clearinghouse of all things ukulele related out there. All things considered, this place pretty much polices itself - the flies in the ointment are pretty few and far between and the moderators do a great job of mopping up the rest. When it's all said and done, I'll take people being too nice to each other over childish bull$hit any day.

Well put! I second that.

I am guilty of sometimes in an attempt to be funny and/or sarcastic it can be read as mean.
I guess the problem with the written word is you can't see the smile or hear the tone of a voice.
I believe I have always been encouraging and helpful to beginners, many great players have been very generous with me.

I've been wondering lately that with our new world of instant gratification, is instant frustation an unforseen side-effect? I saw an article recently about students in Thailand not being as patient as they used to be, they attributed this to cell phones and other gadgets that are supposed to make our lives better.

I love that this forum has threads about how to be nicer to each other when it is already the friendliest forum I've ever been on. Sign of a good community!

I think there needs to be a healthy balance between the two.
I've also seen the opposite where someone had a legitimate complaint and it got panned by fans of that particular brand or seller.

Agree. Seems this way to me too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom