PDA

View Full Version : Aloha Spirit re: "No Bashing"

PhilUSAFRet
08-27-2012, 03:18 AM
I just read my morning meditation and I felt like I wanted to share a part of it, with a very slight edit:

"we know that our duty is to speak words of hope and love, not condemnation and antagonism. With the right attitude of love and kindness, we can create an atmosphere where people, especially people who think differently than you are lifted up, an atmosphere where the truth is spoken gently, kindly, and respectfully."

Many new ukers visit our forums, filled with the newly discovered "Joy of Uke". Some are naive, full of hope and wonderment, some are short on financial resources, seeking instruments that they can love, play well, and afford. I believe they deserve kind "mentorship", especially when they ask questions and guidance about instruments
that aren't exactly on our "A" list. They ask for our guidance. Do not ignore them.

I think that we do an admirable job. I also think that some of us could do better. All of us were noobs once.

ALOHA to a bunch of great ukers!

mm stan
08-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Aloha Phil,
I agree the we should welcome the new members and guide them with graciousness so they too can pass on
the Aloha spirit here...when I started, I got me a soprano Rogue and it is still one of my favorite go to ukes.
some of the most budget friendly ukes are the most fun for me still...sure it's nice to have beautiful expensive
ukes, but when you're starting it is not necessary...main thing you have fun with your uke and here at the UU.
Happy Strummings..

joeybug
08-27-2012, 05:41 AM
I just read my morning meditation and I felt like I wanted to share a part of it, with a very slight edit:

"we know that our duty is to speak words of hope and love, not condemnation and antagonism. With the right attitude of love and kindness, we can create an atmosphere where people, especially people who think differently than you are lifted up, an atmosphere where the truth is spoken gently, kindly, and respectfully."

Many new ukers visit our forums, filled with the newly discovered "Joy of Uke". Some are naive, full of hope and wonderment, some are short on financial resources, seeking instruments that they can love, play well, and afford. I believe they deserve kind "mentorship", especially when they ask questions and guidance about instruments
that aren't exactly on our "A" list. They ask for our guidance. Do not ignore them.

I think that we do an admirable job. I also think that some of us could do better. All of us were noobs once.

:agree: with this! I couldn't have put it better myself :D

gyosh
08-27-2012, 06:25 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment you've expressed here. It's also been my experience that the "bashers" tend to go away eventually when the "fuzzy bunnies" can't be provoked into a full blown argument, or the bunnies gather to admonish the basher . . . or the mods step in and keep everything on the up and up. In any case the "bashers" tend to lose interest and wander off. I LOVE the peeps on UU and I'm thankful to Aaron, Ryan and Aldrine that they let us play here on their playground.

Lalz
08-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Very good post!

Most people don't have a budget available for K-brands or custom-made ukes and there are plenty of good-quality affordable ukes to recommend. A lot of people turn to the ukulele because it is a fun and inexpensive instrument, and that's a very valid reason. People shouldn't need to feel that they have to invest lots of money to have a good uke and have fun playing, or that they need to own 417 ukes... ;-)

There's something for everyone in this community, let's embrace it and celebrate it. It's all about having fun :)

Freeda
08-27-2012, 07:53 AM
True dat.

I think a lot of times people think they are being funny when they are really coming across as mean. Text is a tricky medium and we should all be aware that for every 5 people reading our words, there are 5 different interpretations of what we meant.

spookefoote
08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
I don't go out of my way to buy expensive ukes for two reasons 1. I can't afford them 2. With a little tinkering a less expensive one can sound great.

Very true statement about the medium of text Freeda. Many people misinterpret the sentiment of the content.

Paul December
08-27-2012, 08:32 AM
I think there needs to be a healthy balance between the two.
I've also seen the opposite where someone had a legitimate complaint and it got panned by fans of that particular brand or seller.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment you've expressed here. It's also been my experience that the "bashers" tend to go away eventually when the "fuzzy bunnies" can't be provoked into a full blown argument, or the bunnies gather to admonish the basher . . . or the mods step in and keep everything on the up and up. In any case the "bashers" tend to lose interest and wander off. I LOVE the peeps on UU and I'm thankful to Aaron, Ryan and Aldrine that they let us play here on their playground.

Lalz
08-27-2012, 08:35 AM
With a little tinkering a less expensive one can sound great.

So true! :agree:

itsme
08-27-2012, 08:56 AM
I think a lot of times people think they are being funny when they are really coming across as mean. Text is a tricky medium and we should all be aware that for every 5 people reading our words, there are 5 different interpretations of what we meant.
There is also the fact that we have quite a few members for whom English is not their native language. Then we have the Brits and the Aussies who speak a whole 'nother version of English than us 'mericans. ;)

spookefoote
08-27-2012, 09:05 AM
There is also the fact that we have quite a few members for whom English is not their native language. Then we have the Brits and the Aussies who speak a whole 'nother version of English than us 'mericans. ;)

Ah yes the old "nations divided by the same language" issue.

cheekmeat
08-27-2012, 04:20 PM

I was called out by a moderator for being a sarcastic jackass on one of my very first posts. And rightfully so.

...and I felt doubly bad. Not just because I had inadvertently offended, but also because I'd worked so hard on the post.

It's something I have to be careful about in general--Focusing energies in the Right Place.

foxfair
08-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I agree all parts what OP said. I remembered when I came here in ~1yr ago, it was friendly and warmly welcomed new comer by others.
Now you can see some new faces post in Marketplace, or join a long(fighting) thread to say whatever he wants. I don't think it is because we don't accept new friend to come, it is actually because UU grows bigger and bigger then finally it reaches a point that we don't know people as 'friends' anymore.

Pretty sad, lately I am just coming here to see my private message with few friends, and check the first few threads in Market place and Uke talk. Then I will just leave. I am scared to check any thread longer than 3 pages because I don't need to read through someone else's shitty joke then it is the bomb to cause a flamewar. I don't even go back to check the old thread I posted and what others said after.

savagehenry
08-28-2012, 02:46 AM
I agree all parts what OP said. I remembered when I came here in ~1yr ago, it was friendly and warmly welcomed new comer by others.
Now you can see some new faces post in Marketplace, or join a long(fighting) thread to say whatever he wants. I don't think it is because we don't accept new friend to come, it is actually because UU grows bigger and bigger then finally it reaches a point that we don't know people as 'friends' anymore.

Pretty sad, lately I am just coming here to see my private message with few friends, and check the first few threads in Market place and Uke talk. Then I will just leave. I am scared to check any thread longer than 3 pages because I don't need to read through someone else's shitty joke then it is the bomb to cause a flamewar. I don't even go back to check the old thread I posted and what others said after.

We are UU, we make it good and unfortunately we can make it bad. If there is something that you don't like, make sure to balance it out with something positive. Walking away is not the answer. UU should never become a we / they sort of place, it is a community based on joy and respect.

23skidoo
08-28-2012, 03:56 AM
I don't have much experience with internet communities like this..... my first exposure - I spent a short while at a forum linked to a political news site and quickly realized it - like most forums - was a complete waste of time, worse than a slumber party full of dull and spiteful 13 year old girls - and the grammar was even worse. It made me realize that arguing about anything with relative strangers online - especially religion or politics - is the sure sign of nothing better to do and somewhat masturbatory.

My second experience was on a guitar forum and it was better. Some really talented, helpful people but tinged with a slight undercurrent of ego and machismo that was not very welcoming. Lots of good information, but a fair amount of silly arguing and name calling by otherwise reasonable-seeming adults. But it did lead me here....

And this place is great. I can see why some folks might be put off by the super-positivity, but it's a lot better than the alternative. In my opinion, the heavy moderation is a good thing - all that negative crap is really just a waste of time for reasonable people who just want information and educational interaction with like-minded ukers. Plus, with the volume of traffic here, it seems to be the widest information base and the best clearinghouse of all things ukulele related out there. All things considered, this place pretty much polices itself - the flies in the ointment are pretty few and far between and the moderators do a great job of mopping up the rest. When it's all said and done, I'll take people being too nice to each other over childish bull$hit any day.

hoosierhiver
08-28-2012, 04:32 AM
I don't have much experience with internet communities like this..... my first exposure - I spent a short while at a forum linked to a political news site and quickly realized it - like most forums - was a complete waste of time, worse than a slumber party full of dull and spiteful 13 year old girls - and the grammar was even worse. It made me realize that arguing about anything with relative strangers online - especially religion or politics - is the sure sign of nothing better to do and somewhat masturbatory.

My second experience was on a guitar forum and it was better. Some really talented, helpful people but tinged with a slight undercurrent of ego and machismo that was not very welcoming. Lots of good information, but a fair amount of silly arguing and name calling by otherwise reasonable-seeming adults. But it did lead me here....

And this place is great. I can see why some folks might be put off by the super-positivity, but it's a lot better than the alternative. In my opinion, the heavy moderation is a good thing - all that negative crap is really just a waste of time for reasonable people who just want information and educational interaction with like-minded ukers. Plus, with the volume of traffic here, it seems to be the widest information base and the best clearinghouse of all things ukulele related out there. All things considered, this place pretty much polices itself - the flies in the ointment are pretty few and far between and the moderators do a great job of mopping up the rest. When it's all said and done, I'll take people being too nice to each other over childish bull$hit any day.

Well put! I second that.

SailingUke
08-28-2012, 05:25 AM
I am guilty of sometimes in an attempt to be funny and/or sarcastic it can be read as mean.
I guess the problem with the written word is you can't see the smile or hear the tone of a voice.
I believe I have always been encouraging and helpful to beginners, many great players have been very generous with me.

hoosierhiver
08-28-2012, 05:42 AM
I've been wondering lately that with our new world of instant gratification, is instant frustation an unforseen side-effect? I saw an article recently about students in Thailand not being as patient as they used to be, they attributed this to cell phones and other gadgets that are supposed to make our lives better.

Lalz
08-28-2012, 06:25 AM
I love that this forum has threads about how to be nicer to each other when it is already the friendliest forum I've ever been on. Sign of a good community!

KimUke
08-28-2012, 06:37 AM
I think there needs to be a healthy balance between the two.
I've also seen the opposite where someone had a legitimate complaint and it got panned by fans of that particular brand or seller.

Agree. Seems this way to me too.

luluwrites
08-28-2012, 06:55 AM
I've been wondering lately that with our new world of instant gratification, is instant frustation an unforseen side-effect? I saw an article recently about students in Thailand not being as patient as they used to be, they attributed this to cell phones and other gadgets that are supposed to make our lives better.

I think this is true. The world is faster and we are making more impulsive decisions.

Because I write for kids, I think about this a lot. In particular, I remember how on a Friday you might be told that a particular boy likes you, and how you could take the bus home and spend the weekend thinking about that by yourself (especially if, as in my home, there was only one telephone and it was in the kitchen where you could be heard by the entire family). By the time you got back to school on Monday, you might have a better idea of how you really felt about that boy, and what action you might want to take (or avoid taking). Now, kids are expected to respond immediately and their responses are often public. We are training ourselves to respond instantly and to expect instant results. We are learning to respond publicly to situations that might once have been dealt with privately.

And yeah, this changes the way we do business, the things we expect from our business transactions, and the level of care we use in both.

(Apologies for the thread detour -- this is a concern of mine and I can't help myself.)

Plainsong
08-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Agree. Seems this way to me too.

You spammed us with three threads (the original thread, the one in the beginners forum, the post in the ongoing thread in general discussion) on the subject. People tried to explain to you where your thought process was flawed, but you're still not getting it. You're just wrong. You wouldn't be wrong to have an opinion on what Mainland's warranty should be, but you are wrong that you think their current policy should be different just for you. Your beef is with the seller, no one else. Get it fixed or quit spamming the board with your pointless complaints. Two threads locked so far. Do you want to go for a third?

disagreeing with you != an attack

Edit to add:

The aloha of a forum relies on us as well. It's not that you can't disagree or dislike a brand, it's how you say it. Compare three threads and counting, complaining about the same thing, with this:

Opening a thread where you ask about warranties, asking if a product is expected to last at least x amount of time, what does the transfer of ownership matter to a company supporting its product?

Now there's an interesting thread and people will jump in with all sorts of opinions. A good time had by all.

Kanaka916
08-28-2012, 07:25 AM
OK - Stop it! You guys are not bringing the fallout of one thread and resurrect it here. All posts referring to those threads will be deleted.

caukulele
08-28-2012, 07:28 AM
I believe in the Aloha Spirit, and try and live my life..as much as possible. I love the fact that this forum is well moderated...I think that sometimes people can take advantage of the "anonymous factor" and write negative, mean or even hurtful things that they would never say to a person face to face. One sees this all over the internet and unfortunately anyone can become a victim. Fortunately, due to the "aloha spirit", helped by the hard work of the moderators, there is a lot less bashing on this forum then other places.....

Paul December
08-28-2012, 07:31 AM
The aloha of a forum relies on us as well. It's not that you can't disagree or dislike a brand, it's how you say it. Compare three threads and counting, complaining about the same thing, with this:

Opening a thread where you ask about warranties, asking if a product is expected to last at least x amount of time, what does the transfer of ownership matter to a company supporting its product?

Now there's an interesting thread and people will jump in with all sorts of opinions. A good time had by all.

Would you agree that the opposite should be true? Many posts boarder on sales pitches.
If you can't post a complaint, should you then be able to post constant praise?

I didn't quote the 1st part of your post in hopes that you too follow the "aloha spirit" and edit-it-out. IMO it is a bit unfair to complain that someone brings up a topic too many times in other threads, then bring up the details yourself in this one.

KimUke
08-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Plainsong - With all due respect, I participate on this forum regularly and as time permits. I have sold a uke to a forum member and purchased several from other forum members. I am not a spammer and have made no personal attacks or been aggressive in my wording.

2ndly, I don't dislike any brand and have never tried to be disrespectful to anyone. I have a right to express an opinion - whether it meets with your approval or not.

While I agree that a product has a warranty -- I still believe that cases still need to be taken on a case by case basis -- esp. when one considers that the Mainland Pineapple ukulele has had repeated issues with the bridges popping off. You can search here and on google and see others reporting the problem.

Yes, the letter of the law says tough shit -- but when there is a KNOWN issue -- it seems to me that the owner of a company would 1. want to know and 2. resolve the issue because they care about customers and recognize that ukes are not designed to last 4 months. You may disagree and yes the warranty sides with you. But, I think people have a right to know how they can expect to be treated if they encounter this problem. This was my experience, I shared it and have no bias.

I stand by my remarks.

kirbo
08-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Plainsong - With all due respect, I participate on this forum regularly and as time permits. I have sold a uke to a forum member and purchased several from other forum members. I am not a spammer and have made no personal attacks or been aggressive in my wording.

2ndly, I don't dislike any brand and have never tried to be disrespectful to anyone. I have a right to express an opinion - whether it meets with your approval or not.

While I agree that a product has a warranty -- I still believe that cases still need to be taken on a case by case basis -- esp. when one considers that the Mainland Pineapple ukulele has had repeated issues with the bridges popping off. You can search here and on google and see others reporting the problem.

Yes, the letter of the law says tough shit -- but when there is a KNOWN issue -- it seems to me that the owner of a company would 1. want to know and 2. resolve the issue because they care about customers and recognize that ukes are not designed to last 4 months. You may disagree and yes the warranty sides with you. But, I think people have a right to know how they can expect to be treated if they encounter this problem. This was my experience, I shared it and have no bias.

I stand by my remarks.

I don't see any reason why the threads were locked. She's pretty much SOL, but she's letting the rest of us know what happened in her situation. There's a Mainland concert for sale on the marketplace. I'm glad I now know that if there was a defect, the warranty would not be transferable, and I would have to send it to the seller (who may then have to send it to the seller who may then have to send it to their seller and so on and so on since we know that a uke may change hands many times) before getting it fixed. That kind of information is important and would definitely affect my decision to purchase a used Mainland. Just my 2 cents.

*edit My apologies for going OT, but the other threads have been locked.

Lalz
08-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Would you agree that the opposite should be true? Many posts boarder on sales pitches.
If you can't post a complaint, should you then be able to post constant praise?

Regarding to this, IMO as long as people are honest about why they praise a certain product (whether they're affiliated with it or are just superhappy with it as costumers), I think it should be allowed to advice people about something one believes in. But I agree that it shouldn't become a sales pitch, and given that I have a tendency to be super-enthusiastic about things I like, your comment made me think that I might sometimes need to think about how I express this enthusiasm. In your opinion, what would be an appropriate level of praise for a product, and at what point do you start crossing the line?
Cheers! :)

Paul December
08-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Regarding to this, IMO as long as people are honest about why they praise a certain product (whether they're affiliated with it or are just superhappy with it as costumers), I think it should be allowed to advice people about something one believes in. But I agree that it shouldn't become a sales pitch, and given that I have a tendency to be super-enthusiastic about things I like, your comment made me think that I might sometimes need to think about how I express this enthusiasm. In your opinion, what would be an appropriate level of praise for a product, and at what point do you start crossing the line?
Cheers! :)

That's a tricky question...
I'm not saying there aren't any good dealers that post here, because there definitely are!
I guess I'm more concerned that there is a general feeling (to me at least) that you can say whatever you want positively, but somehow you can't post anything negative.
I participate in other forums (for other endeavors) and the names of dealers hardly ever come (or not allowed), or are only PMed. OTOH, ukuleles may be different since the same uke sold by dealer X may not be set-up nearly as well as dealer Y.

UKEonomics
08-28-2012, 07:52 AM
I'm very thankful to have stumbled upon the UU. I've learned a lot from it and it's come through for me when google search couldn't. Of course, there's some negative folks on here that try to ruin the fun and the general ukulele fellowship, but as someone already said, you find that everywhere on the web. People tend to think that they're 10 foot tall when they're behind a computer screen.

"A gentle answer turneth away wrath". Yeah, there are those that try to start the fire, but each person has a choice - pour water on it and quell it or pour gasoline on it and spread it.

At any rate, this place is awesome! And there's a ton of great people on here!

KimUke
08-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Kirbo - Thank you for understanding the thread and the spirit it which is was written. I think the threads were locked because opile-ups that was about to occur.Very frustrating to not be able to respond to some of the posts.
Not matter, I have had PM's and emails from folks (who actually know me) giving me moral support. Like you, if I had know that the bridges on Mainland pineapples were prone to popping off and that this was the customer service I could expect (in or out of warranty - i really don't care) I would not have made the purchase. There are those companies that do all the can to please customers and those that don't. Period.

Plainsong
08-28-2012, 07:59 AM
I don't see any reason why the threads were locked. She's pretty much SOL, but she's letting the rest of us know what happened in her situation. There's a Mainland concert for sale on the marketplace. I'm glad I now know that if there was a defect, the warranty would not be transferable, and I would have to send it to the seller (who may then have to send it to the seller who may then have to send it to their seller and so on and so on since we know that a uke may change hands many times) before getting it fixed. That kind of information is important and would definitely affect my decision to purchase a used Mainland. Just my 2 cents.

*edit My apologies for going OT, but the other threads have been locked.

She's not at all SOL, she's just choosing to be. A fix was offered and she turned it down. The post that I was replying to was edited in this thread. Her first post was that she was being attacked, and then she quickly edited that.

Kinda on the same subject lines of trying to be nice online and all that, I like when you type a post out... and everyone here knows what I mean because it's happened to all of us... and only the first part of what you wrote is actually read. Frustrating. I went on to suggest to her a different way of bringing up the same topic, but I don't think she saw it.

ukes_in_the_wire
08-28-2012, 08:03 AM
I've really only just landed here but it seems a pretty jolly place to hang out. I've been pretty spoiled forum-wise since my first forum was unicyclist.com - perhaps the, friendliest and least moderated forum I've ever come across. It's saying something that from what I've seen so far, this is up there in the general jollity and helpfulness of subscribers stakes. I think perhaps ukulele's are a kind of musical equivalent to unicycles and as such attract similar sorts of personalities; people don't always take them seriously, people make jokes about missing strings (you've lost a wheel, mate is the phrase every unicyclist would banish to the bowels of hell), each is more compact and instantly fun than their larger counterparts and each require putting time and effort into learning something others would dismiss as silly solely for the pleasure derived rather than ego inflation.

I'm certainly looking forward to getting to know some folks around here and am very much appreciating how useful this place has already been to me during my first fumblings with a uke.

Paul December
08-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Out of curiosity...
...can someone tell me if people in Hawaii actually use the term "Aloha Spirit"?
After reading this and other threads I could obviously figure out its meaning, but honestly I've never heard the term before this forum.
Granted, I live in the Midwest so that may have something/everything to do with it :D

KimUke
08-28-2012, 08:09 AM
She would like to say....

Shipping a CHEAP ukulele 4 times doesn't seem like a sincere fix....on the contrary....almost seems like an intentional obstacle to getting it fixed...

And she didn't "quickly edit" anything after reading your post -- it was edited when the she thought better of making matters worse....

Plainsong
08-28-2012, 08:15 AM
She would like to say....

Shipping a CHEAP ukulele 4 times doesn't seem like a sincere fix....on the contrary....almost seems like an intentional obstacle to getting it fixed...

And she didn't "quickly edit" anything after reading your post -- it was edited when the she thought better of making matters worse....

My mistake. The fix wasn't "sincere" enough. :wtf: <-- Leave it alone already. You refused the fix, so quit bringing it up in threads that have nothing to do with it. You've done it twice it's there for everyone to see.

Edit to add - No one is attacking you. We're just disagreeing and wishing you'd stop trolling other threads about it.

gyosh
08-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Out of curiosity...
...can someone tell me if people in Hawaii actually use the term "Aloha Spirit"?
After reading this and other threads I could obviously figure out its meaning, but honestly I've never heard the term before this forum.
Granted, I live in the Midwest so that may have something/everything to do with it :D

Yes, the term "Aloha Spirit" is used . . . usually just "Aloha" . . . and lived by, for the most part.

gyosh
08-28-2012, 08:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaprpYfH4Rg

Sorry . . . I couldn't resist. This song gets stuck in my head. :)

KimUke
08-28-2012, 08:20 AM
No, your mistake is thinking that you should be able to tell other people what to do. Might I suggest that you leave it alone already. :) Ignoring threads is always an option ifthey're to WTF'ish for you to handle.

The Big Kahuna
08-28-2012, 08:22 AM

The term "Aloha Spirit" was invented by someone in marketing in the 1950's (or thereabouts).

Lalz
08-28-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm not saying there aren't any good dealers that post here, because there definitely are!
I guess I'm more concerned that there is a general feeling (to me at least) that you can say whatever you want positively, but somehow you can't post anything negative.
I participate in other forums (for other endeavors) and the names of dealers hardly ever come (or not allowed), or are only PMed. OTOH, ukuleles may be different since the same uke sold by dealer X may not be set-up nearly as well as dealer Y.

I see what you mean

haolejohn
08-28-2012, 08:25 AM

I could totally see this. It really is strange how our convenience items actually cause more problems than good.

Dan Uke
08-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Out of curiosity...

My wife is from Hawaii and she mentions it all the time cuz I don't have it especially commuting in LA traffic

gyosh
08-28-2012, 08:27 AM
The term "Aloha Spirit" was invented by someone in marketing in the 1950's (or thereabouts).

Translation: "Be nice to the tourists so they spend more money." :) But hey, still a good sentiment!!

haolejohn
08-28-2012, 08:29 AM

I agree with you Paul. THere is a point that even if you have a valid concern about something...the wolves start circling. I don't mind constructive criticism and I don't mind positive attitude. I also like to see the good and bad of a product. It's like the dolphin. Reading about that uke here you would think it was the best thing since sliced bread.

gyosh
08-28-2012, 08:39 AM
I agree with you Paul. THere is a point that even if you have a valid concern about something...the wolves start circling. I don't mind constructive criticism and I don't mind positive attitude. I also like to see the good and bad of a product. It's like the dolphin. Reading about that uke here you would think it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Or you choose to not participate in those threads. Dolphins hurt my ears! My son is five now and doesn't bang his uke around. He no longer has a Dolphin. He has something much better. When I come across a thread singing the virtues of a Dolphin I happily move on and find another thread to occupy my time. I could stop and express my negative views/opinions about them, but what for? Just to aggravate a thread? A Dolphin is a fine uke if you believe it to be so. I don't. I choose to move on.

In the end, this isn't my sandbox. I'm a guest in UU. If the kids are playing a way I don't agree with, I don't try to get them to play my way . . . I move over and play on my own or find kids who play the way I like. I try not to cause problems as a guest.

seeso
08-28-2012, 08:45 AM
The "No Bashing" thread was not written to protect ukulele companies. It was written to protect members. There's a difference.

You can say whatever you want about ukulele companies. There have been plenty of negative threads in the past.

Yes, some of them get locked.

I try to let the threads get to a conclusion, as long as there aren't any personal attacks. Look how long that Kanile'a thread went for, and that is the company that custom-made Aldrine's ukulele.

UkuleleSprinter
08-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Out of curiosity...
Living in Hawaii, I hear "Aloha Spirit" all the time. It's a sort of mutual respect.

Farmer Rob
08-28-2012, 09:03 AM
One of the things here that comes off as "not Aloha" in nature is people posting crazy comments in a persons for sale thread. I've seen it recently in several other folks instrument sales and I can't figure it out...

I participate heavily in another forum (36,000 members) and they instituted 2 rules that heavily killed the troll factor some folks have mentioned (and raised membership). They kept all sections of the forum open to the public EXCEPT the sales section. Killed 95% of the rude traffic just about immediately and garnered the forum owners a few$ to upgrade their services... They also instituted a second rule much later that disallowed discussions in sales post ( a bit heavy handed but effective in the long run).

This is a much mellower crowd in general given the focused nature of discussion- but as a newbie poster- I've been reading here a long time, it's good to see folks discussing this etiquette ..

Aloha

mm stan
08-28-2012, 09:05 AM
All I can tell you about the Aloha Spirt it is strong in Hawaii....it has been that way for a long time...here is a good interpetation of it...enjoy....Aloha
Like In anything, there is good and bad....you just have to choose where you want to go... and who you associate with...http://iamaloha.me/2012/08/26/aloha-spirit-law/

ukuhippo
08-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Allthough I see the positive meaning of this thread, I think this forum would be better without threads like these. This forum must have the highest population of polite and friendly people on the whole interwebz. The not so polite people are either banned by moderators or threads get closed, and there's room for disagreeing with people and healthy discussion. Perfect.
There's no need to bring attention to the problems that are either non-existant or are taking care of by the moderators, it only creates opportunities to continu discussing those not-wanted subjects. If it were me this thread would be closed and we would all carry our happy lives on this great community.

coolkayaker1
08-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I try to let the threads get to a conclusion, as long as there aren't any personal attacks. Look how long that Kanile'a thread went for, and that is the company that custom-made Aldrine's ukulele.

And yet, without personal attacks, it still got locked.

If anyone has something left to say, as long as no personal attacks, threads should stay open, in my opinion. One person's "conclusion" may not be another's. It's fine to let civil people post indefinitely if they have something to say without shutting off the microphone.

haolejohn
08-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Or you choose to not participate in those threads. Dolphins hurt my ears! My son is five now and doesn't bang his uke around. He no longer has a Dolphin. He has something much better. When I come across a thread singing the virtues of a Dolphin I happily move on and find another thread to occupy my time. I could stop and express my negative views/opinions about them, but what for? Just to aggravate a thread? A Dolphin is a fine uke if you believe it to be so. I don't. I choose to move on.

In the end, this isn't my sandbox. I'm a guest in UU. If the kids are playing a way I don't agree with, I don't try to get them to play my way . . . I move over and play on my own or find kids who play the way I like. I try not to cause problems as a guest.
Well said. I am glad I'm not the only person who accepts the dolphin for what it is...a dolphin:)

I also like how you don't try to get kids to play the way you play...I think I will adopt this philosophy.

haolejohn
08-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Allthough I see the positive meaning of this thread, I think this forum would be better without threads like these. This forum must have the highest population of polite and friendly people on the whole interwebz. The not so polite people are either banned by moderators or threads get closed, and there's room for disagreeing with people and healthy discussion. Perfect.
There's no need to bring attention to the problems that are either non-existant or are taking care of by the moderators, it only creates opportunities to continu discussing those not-wanted subjects. If it were me this thread would be closed and we would all carry our happy lives on this great community.

But even the not so polite people are rarely banned. Since 2008 I may have been the first banned person (I asked and Seeso obliged me but it wasn't for being rude) and I only know of three or is it two people that have been banned. There may have been others b/c I am not as active as I used to be so I have no idea.

We got some good mods. Some are better than others IMO but none are bad.

I do think that negative talk about a favorite dealer or maker is not as acceptable by community but tolerated by mods.

Regardless, this is the only online community that I participate in. I've joined other forums after coming here but I never visit them. No need.

seeso
08-28-2012, 10:16 AM
And yet, without personal attacks, it still got locked.

If anyone has something left to say, as long as no personal attacks, threads should stay open, in my opinion. One person's "conclusion" may not be another's. It's fine to let civil people post indefinitely if they have something to say without shutting off the microphone.

Your opinion is valid and has been noted.

Sometimes one moderator will have a different opinion than another moderator as to when a thread should be locked or not. I realize this can be frustrating, but the alternative is the Ukulele Cosmos' style of non-moderation. I'll take our style over theirs every time.

I stand by my moderators and their decisions. If you have a problem with the moderation of this board, please let us know.

Uke Republic
08-28-2012, 10:46 AM
We need to pass the virtual Kava bowl around sometimes:) Overall this is a great site with some excellent people . Very glad to be part of this community, ALOHA!!!

pulelehua
08-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Just read this thread from first post to last.

It is perhaps the most ironic thread ever posted on UU.

:)

The Big Kahuna
08-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Impossible. Americans don't have irony. :)

ukes_in_the_wire
08-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Similar to steely, isn't it?

Freeda
08-28-2012, 11:13 AM
What's kava?

cheekmeat
08-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Whoa. I'm sorry to have misunderstood the point of the thread.

Hope I didn't mellow anyone's harsh...:rolleyes:

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-28-2012, 11:19 AM

I'll respectfully disagree with you, ukuhippo.

It's always a good idea to take a moment to consider what's important to you as a member of a community. That community could be your family, your city, your nation, your college class (as an instructor, I think about this one a lot), or an online forum. We can only improve our forum by thoughtfully discussing (and, yes, critiquing) it. If we don't discuss the UU's aloha spirit, we risk letting it slip away.

Now, ukuhippo, let me also give some respect to your sparkly black Dolphin. If David Bowie (when he was extremely cool in the 70s) could choose only one ukulele (from his past or his future) on which to play Ziggy Stardust, I'm sure he'd choose a sparkly black Dolphin. That's quite a cool ukulele.

mm stan
08-28-2012, 11:24 AM
What's kava?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kava

Uke Republic
08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
It's a drink you make in a big bowl, no alcohol in it. Drank a lot in many Pacific Islands like Hawaiia, Tonga, Vanuatu and even in Atlanta. It relaxes you and gets you talking most pleasant. The taste is like pepper and aspirin,mmmm so chase it with some Fanta!
What's kava?

Freeda
08-28-2012, 11:28 AM
It's a drink you make in a big bowl, no alcohol in it. Drank a lot in many Pacific Islands like Hawaiia, Tonga, Vanuatu and even in Atlanta. It relaxes you and gets you talking most pleasant. The taste is like pepper and aspirin,mmmm so chase it with some Fanta!

Sounds more like weed or a coca leaf according to that wiki! :P Is that stuff legal? May have to make another trip to Hawaii...

Uke Republic
08-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Thats even a better description. It's the anti-energy drink

Uke Republic
08-28-2012, 11:29 AM
You can get it on line and they sell teas and capsules in a lot of vitamin shops.
Sounds more like weed or a coca leaf according to that wiki! :P Is that stuff legal? May have to make another trip to Hawaii...

Markr1
08-28-2012, 11:32 AM
I'd like to have some of that. I heard the Indians smoked tobacco in their peace pipes but I always wondered what did they really smoke in them?

ukuleledaveey
08-28-2012, 11:38 AM
found kava on ebay lol might have to try a smoothie before i do a open mic next time :eek:

Hippie Dribble
08-28-2012, 11:43 AM
It's the anti-energy drink

yeah, good stuff, a bit like the valium thickshakes that eugenie makes for me before I hop on the 'marketplace' board :p

Hippie Dribble
08-28-2012, 11:47 AM
People shouldn't need to feel that they ... need to own 417 ukes... ;-)

:)

aah Lalou, I didn't know you'd been to Stan's place mate. how awesome. Hope you managed to find him under the pile of cases ha ha ...shucks...sorry Stan he he :shaka:

Guitar2ukulele
08-28-2012, 12:10 PM

Betel Nuts much better

haolejohn
08-28-2012, 12:14 PM

It is legal. When I moved back to Georgia from Maui back in 2002 (guards were still walking around airport with loaded m-16s) I had three big bags of Kava in my carry on bag. My bag also had explosive residue from my job (I dug up unexploded ordnance). I was only detained for about two hours. But once everything checked out legal and why I had residue I was allowed to board my flight.

haolejohn
08-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Kava NOte:

Please be careful how much you drink. It will numb your body. Numbing starts in mouth and if enough is consumed...your legs. Very funny to see.

seeso
08-28-2012, 12:40 PM
This thread has probably gone on more than long enough.

http://i.imgur.com/rBdZV.jpg