Help, with a forum etiquette question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammer40

Reaction score
I need some advice regarding forum etiquette. I have seen a member here post that they have just purchased a uke, and it happens to be one I previously bought and returned with some needed repair. Do I contact that member and let them know I have owned and returned it? Do I at least check to see if they are aware that it needed some repair work done to it?

I know if it were me, I'd be most appreciative if someone told me that the uke I just bought was in need of repairs if that information was withheld by the seller. I wouldn't disclose that to them in public view but I'd send a PM to them. Worst case. the new owner was made aware of the issues and he'd thank you just the same.

Last edited:
I would hope that if I were in that situation, that the person who previously returned it let me know about it.

I think the question comes down to responsibilities of the seller who should disclose any defects, repairs or whatever. But we know that's not always the case. If you feel the compulsion to inform the buyer because you are familiar with the instrument, do so as stated above via PM. That's what I would do and again, just my dos centavos. Maybe some others who have experienced this type of situation will chime in.

Whew! Nothing in my inbox!

Interestingly, I had something the other way around. I returned a uke, and mentioned it on my blog. Very minor issue, but one resourceful uker on here got in touch with store, bought it at a bargain price and then messaged me to tell me they bought it!

I'd have to at least urge caution. Yeah, if it's obviously a real no-kidding defect (cracks, really bad intonation, terrible setup, loose bracing, and so on then a PM wouldn't be out of line). On the other hand, if the uke just didn't meet your standards for less obvious "problems" then it might be doing buyer and seller both a disservice to put your 2 cents in... :)

I'd have to at least urge caution. Yeah, if it's obviously a real no-kidding defect (cracks, really bad intonation, terrible setup, loose bracing, and so on then a PM wouldn't be out of line). On the other hand, if the uke just didn't meet your standards for less obvious "problems" then it might be doing buyer and seller both a disservice to put your 2 cents in... :)

Yes, it was a "no kidding" defect. The uke was 100 percent unplayable. Anything cosmetic or subjective and I wouldn't even have given it a thought, it wouldn't have been my place to get involved.

This thread can be closed, I have been in contact with the buyer. Again, thanks for the advice everybody.

Yes, it was a "no kidding" defect. The uke was 100 percent unplayable. Anything cosmetic or subjective and I wouldn't even have given it a thought, it wouldn't have been my place to get involved.
I see three possible scenarios here:

- The seller repaired the defect before re-selling.

- The seller disclosed the defect and the buyer went in with eyes wide open.

- The buyer was just as surprised and disappointed as you were, in which case bringing it to their attention will only rub it in more. The only purpose it would serve would be in "outing" the seller as someone with suspect trading practices.

Thread closed as per OP's request.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom