PDA

View Full Version : Other Forums?

Tailgate
08-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Are there any other ukulele related forums that you visit and find helpful? I've yet to scratch the surface of all of the great online sites that are full of information, but forums are fun to connect and to be able to interact with basic questions (like this one).

This forum is fantastic and everyone is super nice, but I was just wondering if you visit multiple uke communities online?

Fermin
08-27-2012, 08:06 AM
A couple of weeks ago I started visiting a spanish ukulele forum. It has very little activity, though. Mostly the same 6 or 7 people.

hoosierhiver
08-27-2012, 09:09 AM
I think some people frequent the Flea Market Music Forum

pulelehua
08-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Ukulele Hunt occasionally. Flea Market, but really just for the market bit, so that doesn't really count.

Would love to know about others.

ukulelecowboy
08-27-2012, 11:04 AM
There is Ukulele Cosmos. But I do urge caution. The environment is not as welcoming and ecumenical as it is here. Last year, I was involved in a healthy debate in an ongoing thread here in UU with a decent resolution and all involved shaking "virtual hands" with one another when the thread was eventually locked.

I found out later that I was the subject of a thread in the Ukulele Cosmos forum that slammed and ridiculed me for the position that I had taken. The thread was filled with flame and personal attacks.

Needless to say, I haven't visited there again.

Mike

Plainsong
08-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Yeah I know some people from the other forum irl, and they're nice enough. But I'd say that as much as they don't understand us, we don't understand them. And they really really don't like us. I used to lurk there, but I'm getting that more current vibe from some unpleasantness that kept from there into my FB feed this weekend. I can kinda (stress kinda) get why. If you feel that people are being nice to the point of fakeness... But if we're fake, then they're too far in the other direction for my taste.

I don't know, I don't actively dislike them. That kinda stuff is just insane. And because it's insane, I don't go there. But if you're the sort to feel your bitchiness isn't getting its proper outlet, then there's the forum for you.

ukuleledaveey
08-27-2012, 11:18 AM
There is Ukulele Cosmos. But I do urge caution. The environment is not as welcoming and ecumenical as it is here. Last year, I was involved in a healthy debate in an ongoing thread here in UU with a decent resolution and all involved shaking "virtual hands" with one another when the thread was eventually locked.

I found out later that I was the subject of a thread in the Ukulele Cosmos forum that slammed and ridiculed me for the position that I had taken. The thread was filled with flame and personal attacks.

Needless to say, I haven't visited there again.

Mike :agree: yep totally get where your coming from i got slammed on there to, i dont go there now.

itsme
08-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Ukulele Hunt occasionally. Flea Market, but really just for the market bit, so that doesn't really count.
Uke Hunt has a forum? I can't find it on the home page.

OldePhart
08-27-2012, 12:29 PM
There is Ukulele Cosmos. But I do urge caution...

Sounds like it might be a lot of "half-converted" guitarists on that one. (Never have visited it, actually, just making funny...)

There are a lot of nice guitar players but for some reason it seems like the worst of them are the ones you're most likely to see on a public forum... It was like that in the pre-web days, even. The alt.guitar newsgroup was pretty much useless because of the egos involved.

John

haolejohn
08-27-2012, 12:54 PM
UCB!!! Uke Crazy B------!! I really enjoy reading their takes. Pretty funny.

But I only come here. Maybe once a month I'd go to UCB site but haven't been in almost a year.

I always see that UU is the 3rd best ukulele website...I wonder what the other two are?

Tootler
08-27-2012, 01:35 PM
I found ukulele cosmos but I don't like forums that won't let you browse first before registering so I didn't bother joining.

Dwjkerr
08-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Ukulele-Tabs and Chords has a forum set up.

It's only been running for a few weeks.

Markr1
08-27-2012, 03:05 PM
I was interested in ukulele about 15 months ago and joined here before I got one and joined just to see what it was all about because it seemed to be the most user friendly site and don't remember how now but got connected with MMStan and he helped steer me in the right direction to get my first ukulele. I have Stan to thank for getting me to where I am now. He's been a good friend.

I joined Flea Market and asked a few questions on there and was immediately slammed. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I may go to that site once a month or maybe every couple of months just to see the ukes they have for sale. I don't get involved in any of the forums nor do I read any of the posts. I am perfectly happy with having UU as my only go to site. I have gotten to know many nice people on here and have no need for another.
This site hands down is the best. I feel perfectly happy and feel I'm at home when I'm here.

It doesn't get any better then that.

Many thanks Stan for helping me to get my start....

Jiva
08-27-2012, 03:14 PM
I had been a reader here for a couple of years, when I first got a ukulele. Only played for a month or two. I finally started playing uke again and started posting. I am such a newbie and everyone here has been so supportive and nice....even when I ramble a bit!

I love to read about other member's experiences playing and fixing ukes. It is so interesting.

Thanks to the mods for keeping everything in order!!

Teena

ricdoug
08-27-2012, 03:36 PM
There's also the Taro Patch Forum. It follows Island music in general.

The Flea Market Music site has a lot of good info, too.

I still like the Ukulele Cosmos. You just have to keep in mind that's it's like walking into a British pub. There's a wealth of knowledge over there. Some of it comes with pub like banter. The forum owner Allie, went to registered users only because of bandwidth issues taking them off the web. It may not be everybody's cup o' tea, but the have a large membership.

Ric

BlackBearUkes
08-27-2012, 03:55 PM
There's also the Taro Patch Forum. It follows Island music in general.

The Flea Market Music site has a lot of good info, too.

I still like the Ukulele Cosmos. You just have to keep in mind that's it's like walking into a British pub. There's a wealth of knowledge over there. Some of it comes with pub like banter. The forum owner Allie, went to registered users only because of bandwidth issues taking them off the web. It may not be everybody's cup o' tea, but the have a large membership.

Ric

Like a pub is right and everyone seems a bit drunk and rude. I quit after a very short time, didn't feel welcome and got the "why was I there anyway". Screw that!

webby
08-27-2012, 10:10 PM
I think this is the best Uke forum online by a country mile, the mods here do such an excellent job, they even manage to keep a maniac like me under control so kudos to them !

MisterRios
08-27-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm also a member on the German Forum: http://www.ukulelenclub.de/Forum/UseBB/index.php

They're also a bunch of great people and very helpful. They have a German Aloha- I can't really describe it, but it's pretty great and I love being on there as much as I love being on here.

The only thing I don't like (and even then it's not bad at all) is that German ukulele availability influences the forum. There's less talk/desire of K-brand or custom ukes, more talk about DIY set-up (cheaper ukes are easier to get because of what the market will bear), and no one talks about custom ukes unless they're Brükos (however some of these Brükos are spectacular).

They also have a Marketplace which is not as active, but can have a few great offerings. Once someone offered a Pono Tenor for 200€!

RevWill
08-28-2012, 01:54 AM
I never had any problems with the Cosmos. Good people, good players, lots of fun. At UU I found a community that gave the kind of support I respond to better. This place fits my personality better, so this is where I keep coming back. I still check in on Fleamarket Music's boards, but they're just not as busy.

Ukeval
08-28-2012, 02:07 AM
I'm also member of the french forum ukulele.fr. Many members are also members here. Ok french speaking, but very friendly and fun.

BolD
08-28-2012, 02:50 AM
there is a Dutch forum since may which is going really well. It's primary goal is to interact in Dutch on ukulele related subjects and get together every now and then.
Up to now it is going really well. There are already 80 members, and the first forum meeting is sceduled for september. At least 15 members will be attending this meeting.

There are about 25 post a day on the forum. Another goal is to get an overwiew with local ukeclubs and interact with them, and help them. So they can get a webpage on the site, with a contact form etc. And an own forum only accesabble to the members of that specific ukeclub, which can be there interactive clubhouse.

And yes, I'm the owner of the website ;)
Although most members are on the UU forum, it sometimes is easier to communicatie on a specific subject in your native language. And it is way easier to make an oppointment when you are living in the same country. ;)

forum: http://forum.UkeClub.nl

Manalishi
08-28-2012, 04:34 AM
The Cosmos is a fine forum,one of the best! Okay,different
to the UU but thats okay.I joined both when I was a newb
and I still check into both on a regular basis!

ukulelecowboy
08-28-2012, 05:15 AM
The Cosmos is a fine forum,one of the best! Okay,different
to the UU but thats okay.I joined both when I was a newb
and I still check into both on a regular basis!

If they had written about you what they wrote about me, you might have a different perspective. It was some of the most derisive bashing I had ever encountered. And all behind my back. Honestly, I wish I had never seen it.

I immediately had the admin cancel my registration and I haven't returned since.

ukuleledaveey
08-28-2012, 10:28 AM
I immediately had the admin cancel my registration and I haven't returned since.

How did you manage that, i emailed asked for mine to be cancelled and all i got was more abuse on their forum, ive just delelted all links and contact info so i cant remember what to log in on there, i will never go back to there again . UU is the best by a long way but thats just my opinion doesnt mean alot lol

Plainsong
08-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Sounds like it might be a lot of "half-converted" guitarists on that one. (Never have visited it, actually, just making funny...)

There are a lot of nice guitar players but for some reason it seems like the worst of them are the ones you're most likely to see on a public forum... It was like that in the pre-web days, even. The alt.guitar newsgroup was pretty much useless because of the egos involved.

John

I know right? In the real world, when I first got into guitar and was at the local reputable shop, crowded with axe virtuosos and virtuoso-sos alike, everyone was all welcoming, like I was becoming the member of a secret club. Very encouraging, like coming here to the Uke Beginners forum. Fast forward many years and I'm on uke now, but the same guys are in that shop, and they remember me, ask me how I've done. I explain that I play uke, and pick up a Martin off the wall and show em what I can do. Instead of acting like I'm playing a toy, they were in agreement - the uke is my jam. It's what I'm supposed to play. Still open and friendly and encouraging, like real musicians tend to be.

But those same guys in a forum? Forget it! :D

Manalishi
08-29-2012, 03:13 AM
ukulelecowboy & ukuleledaveey, I don't know what
happened to either of you on the Cosmos,nor is it
any of my business.You feel aggrieved by what you
see as your 'ill treatment' over there: All I can do,is
speak as I find.And I have always found the members
there to be helpful and kind,especially with song help,
chord advice and set-up tips,for newbies,as I was at
the time.Each to their own, I believe? I like the Cosmos
and will continue there as a member;plus I have met a
good many of the members at various get togethers,and
in person,they are like me,what you see is what you get.

Plainsong
08-29-2012, 05:51 AM
I don't think anyone means to put you down by putting down a forum favorite of yours. It's just I've seen what they're talking about, and I guess it's a case of either you get it or your don't. Just like how most of them don't get us. I don't think it's a case of Uke Cowboy feeling aggrieved, if I remember correctly, it was half a heartbeat away from some 4chan stalking. Real personal stuff.

On the one hand I get why this forum rubs them the wrong way, but on the other, I don't get the level of aggression either. But hey, you like the place and you get along with them and understand them so good for you. :)

ukulelecowboy
08-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Let's be clear. I was not an active member of the Ukulele Cosmos forum. In fact, I hadn't even known of its' existence. Members of the Cosmos forum followed a thread that was on going here. In this forum. At which point, the generated a thread built upon personal attacks. Directed at me. Another UU forum member was kind enough to bring this to my attention.

My issue isn't with the Cosmos members. Members come and go. Comment or don't comment. Appear and disappear. My issue is with the Cosmos moderators. This was inexcusable behavior for a public forum. It was embarrassing and hurtful.

To the OP, I'll say it again. Proceed with caution.

Manalishi
08-29-2012, 07:04 AM
ukulelecowboy, my apologies,I assumed that both you
and Davey were (once) members. As I said in my last
post,I do not know the story (nor want to!) but to each
his or her own,right?

Plainsong
08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Let's be clear. I was not an active member of the Ukulele Cosmos forum. In fact, I hadn't even known of its' existence. Members of the Cosmos forum followed a thread that was on going here. In this forum. At which point, the generated a thread built upon personal attacks. Directed at me. Another UU forum member was kind enough to bring this to my attention.

My issue isn't with the Cosmos members. Members come and go. Comment or don't comment. Appear and disappear. My issue is with the Cosmos moderators. This was inexcusable behavior for a public forum. It was embarrassing and hurtful.

To the OP, I'll say it again. Proceed with caution.

I thought you were a member there or I would have said something to you! You just assume that they wouldn't be attacking outside their own, but I guess not! If I'd known I should let you know, I would have. I used to lurk there, but after my account was purged, it wasn't worth the effort to go back.

ukuleledaveey
08-29-2012, 10:32 AM

Yep thats cool mate and i dont want to sling mud, i am just relieved it wasnt just me lol as long as your having a good time there thats good, and I am sure there are some decent people on that forum, i just had a bad experience there and thats, that. I will leave it in the past, my therapy is over lol.I have my nirvana here on the underground :)