Other Forums?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Are there any other ukulele related forums that you visit and find helpful? I've yet to scratch the surface of all of the great online sites that are full of information, but forums are fun to connect and to be able to interact with basic questions (like this one).

This forum is fantastic and everyone is super nice, but I was just wondering if you visit multiple uke communities online?

A couple of weeks ago I started visiting a spanish ukulele forum. It has very little activity, though. Mostly the same 6 or 7 people.

Ukulele Hunt occasionally. Flea Market, but really just for the market bit, so that doesn't really count.

Would love to know about others.

There is Ukulele Cosmos. But I do urge caution. The environment is not as welcoming and ecumenical as it is here. Last year, I was involved in a healthy debate in an ongoing thread here in UU with a decent resolution and all involved shaking "virtual hands" with one another when the thread was eventually locked.

I found out later that I was the subject of a thread in the Ukulele Cosmos forum that slammed and ridiculed me for the position that I had taken. The thread was filled with flame and personal attacks.

Needless to say, I haven't visited there again.

Mike

Yeah I know some people from the other forum irl, and they're nice enough. But I'd say that as much as they don't understand us, we don't understand them. And they really really don't like us. I used to lurk there, but I'm getting that more current vibe from some unpleasantness that kept from there into my FB feed this weekend. I can kinda (stress kinda) get why. If you feel that people are being nice to the point of fakeness... But if we're fake, then they're too far in the other direction for my taste.

I don't know, I don't actively dislike them. That kinda stuff is just insane. And because it's insane, I don't go there. But if you're the sort to feel your bitchiness isn't getting its proper outlet, then there's the forum for you.

There is Ukulele Cosmos. But I do urge caution. The environment is not as welcoming and ecumenical as it is here. Last year, I was involved in a healthy debate in an ongoing thread here in UU with a decent resolution and all involved shaking "virtual hands" with one another when the thread was eventually locked.

I found out later that I was the subject of a thread in the Ukulele Cosmos forum that slammed and ridiculed me for the position that I had taken. The thread was filled with flame and personal attacks.

Needless to say, I haven't visited there again.

Mike
:agree: yep totally get where your coming from i got slammed on there to, i dont go there now.

There is Ukulele Cosmos. But I do urge caution...

Sounds like it might be a lot of "half-converted" guitarists on that one. (Never have visited it, actually, just making funny...)

There are a lot of nice guitar players but for some reason it seems like the worst of them are the ones you're most likely to see on a public forum... It was like that in the pre-web days, even. The alt.guitar newsgroup was pretty much useless because of the egos involved.

John

UCB!!! Uke Crazy B------!! I really enjoy reading their takes. Pretty funny.

But I only come here. Maybe once a month I'd go to UCB site but haven't been in almost a year.

I always see that UU is the 3rd best ukulele website...I wonder what the other two are?

I found ukulele cosmos but I don't like forums that won't let you browse first before registering so I didn't bother joining.

Ukulele-Tabs and Chords has a forum set up.

It's only been running for a few weeks.

I was interested in ukulele about 15 months ago and joined here before I got one and joined just to see what it was all about because it seemed to be the most user friendly site and don't remember how now but got connected with MMStan and he helped steer me in the right direction to get my first ukulele. I have Stan to thank for getting me to where I am now. He's been a good friend.

I joined Flea Market and asked a few questions on there and was immediately slammed. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I may go to that site once a month or maybe every couple of months just to see the ukes they have for sale. I don't get involved in any of the forums nor do I read any of the posts. I am perfectly happy with having UU as my only go to site. I have gotten to know many nice people on here and have no need for another.
This site hands down is the best. I feel perfectly happy and feel I'm at home when I'm here.

It doesn't get any better then that.

Many thanks Stan for helping me to get my start....

I had been a reader here for a couple of years, when I first got a ukulele. Only played for a month or two. I finally started playing uke again and started posting. I am such a newbie and everyone here has been so supportive and nice....even when I ramble a bit!

I love to read about other member's experiences playing and fixing ukes. It is so interesting.

Thanks to the mods for keeping everything in order!!

Teena

Last edited:
There's also the Taro Patch Forum. It follows Island music in general.

The Flea Market Music site has a lot of good info, too.

I still like the Ukulele Cosmos. You just have to keep in mind that's it's like walking into a British pub. There's a wealth of knowledge over there. Some of it comes with pub like banter. The forum owner Allie, went to registered users only because of bandwidth issues taking them off the web. It may not be everybody's cup o' tea, but the have a large membership.

Ric

There's also the Taro Patch Forum. It follows Island music in general.

The Flea Market Music site has a lot of good info, too.

I still like the Ukulele Cosmos. You just have to keep in mind that's it's like walking into a British pub. There's a wealth of knowledge over there. Some of it comes with pub like banter. The forum owner Allie, went to registered users only because of bandwidth issues taking them off the web. It may not be everybody's cup o' tea, but the have a large membership.

Ric

Like a pub is right and everyone seems a bit drunk and rude. I quit after a very short time, didn't feel welcome and got the "why was I there anyway". Screw that!

I think this is the best Uke forum online by a country mile, the mods here do such an excellent job, they even manage to keep a maniac like me under control so kudos to them !

I'm also a member on the German Forum: http://www.ukulelenclub.de/Forum/UseBB/index.php

They're also a bunch of great people and very helpful. They have a German Aloha- I can't really describe it, but it's pretty great and I love being on there as much as I love being on here.

The only thing I don't like (and even then it's not bad at all) is that German ukulele availability influences the forum. There's less talk/desire of K-brand or custom ukes, more talk about DIY set-up (cheaper ukes are easier to get because of what the market will bear), and no one talks about custom ukes unless they're Brükos (however some of these Brükos are spectacular).

They also have a Marketplace which is not as active, but can have a few great offerings. Once someone offered a Pono Tenor for 200€!

I never had any problems with the Cosmos. Good people, good players, lots of fun. At UU I found a community that gave the kind of support I respond to better. This place fits my personality better, so this is where I keep coming back. I still check in on Fleamarket Music's boards, but they're just not as busy.

Top Bottom