Black Fret Markers: How? Where?

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
I have a custom tenor ukulele on order with a "blonde" maple fretboard for later this year.

I have asked the respected luthier about black fret markers--nothing different from the traditional dots, only black color for the light fretboard, and I was told they are not available, at least from this luthier at this time.

Can anyone direct me--is there a source for simple, round black (or ebony or whatever) tenor fret dots? Is there a suggestion about coloring the standard abalone dots before installation to make them black?

Thank you for your ideas.:).

Who is making it?
I have a custom tenor ukulele on order with a "blonde" maple fretboard for later this year.

I have asked the respected luthier about black fret markers--nothing different from the traditional dots, only black color for the light fretboard, and I was told they are not available, at least from this luthier at this time.

Can anyone direct me--is there a source for simple, round black (or ebony or whatever) tenor fret dots? Is there a suggestion about coloring the standard abalone dots before installation to make them black?

Thank you for your ideas.:).

Thanks so much! Great replies and I will likely buy some from LMI or Stewmac and mail them to the custom builder. I'll determine size from him first Thank you.

Thanks so much! Great replies and I will likely buy some from LMI or Stewmac and mail them to the custom builder. I'll determine size from him first Thank you.

I'm sorry but this really strikes me as odd. This is what you're paying him to do. Its not like these things are expensive or rare. Any builder should be able to fulfill this request.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. Now that you all have guided me to black fret dots, at $2 for a package of twenty, I;m not sure why the custom builder won't put them on, either. Perhaps just have a method of doing things a certain way and don't wish to change it...and I can respect that.

I think, in the end, just because it;s easier for the luthier, I'm just going to go by what they told me in the email ---they don;t do black fret dots--- and leave it at that. Go with the flow. If I want to change then, a fine point Sharpie marker and a steady hand might work. lol

Thanks for everyone's tips/

It doesn't make much sense to me but if that's his terms then that's his terms. There isn't any reason you can't add them later.

Now hang on a minute. You're getting a custom uke made. My impression has always been that a custom uke is one that you want a luthier to make according to a bunch of specifications that you give them. A good luthier will gently manage to convince a customer that some of the more outlandish requirements are not a good idea.
However, I can't see why black dots on a white fretboard would be any more difficult that white dots on a dark fretboard. The idea is certainly not outlandish, it's an aid to playing.
If you want black dots then hang out for black dots. It's your custom uke. You're paying good money for it. You should get the uke you want. Black dots and all. (Though you may need to source them yourself).
Miguel

Maybe the fretboard is finished and attached to the neck and the Luthier doesnt want to spend more time on it. Time is money.

Will the neck be one piece maple like a Fender or will just the fretboard be maple over a traditional neck?
I look forward to seeing the uke.

Top Bottom