$100 range for entry level instrument

I really like the Dolphins, they get very good reviews here and I think it would be a nice first uke and they come in many colors. I got mine for $30.00.

The black one rocks!!!!! :eek:

Last edited:
I was planning on buying some Kala Dolphin ukuleles this month. I have a 3,5,7,and 9 year old. I am going to follow this thread. I am planning on getting them soprano/standard size ukuleles. My tenor seems a little big for them.

You aren't going to find too many $100. ukes in the Luthier Lounge. Probably better in uke talk I think.

Jack and Rick that is so helpful haha I'm up to $250 per build in materials I figured that the builders have a better idea which brands are the best value. Besides I don't hang out in the other rooms.

For kids past six I would recommend a concert. Just make sure you get it from a place like Hawaii Music Supply that sets them up. I have never tryed a dolphin but most likely it would have very high action and bad intonation. This would be fixed with a setup.
Why a concert. I'm way past six and still like a soprano.

Dolphins are perfect for any age beginner. Tough, well built and the perfect beater for when you upgrade. Depending on who you buy it from regarding the set up, but that goes with most assembly line ukes. I have bought several from MGM in the past for friends and I was very happy with them. Mim is also a wonderful dealer. Not sure if she's carrying dolphins anymore.

Please don't criticize something you have no experience with.

Me neither. Build 'em and sell 'em. Never buy them. Have far more interesting things to drop cash on than instruments. Like more materials, machinery and tools.

And like the rest of the group here, materials are certainly in the $100+ range for many instruments.

+1 on Dolphins, they are great for beginners, kids and adults alike. They're very sturdy, are easy to play and sound pretty good compared to most ukes in their price range. Make sure to have Aquilas put on (great strings for this type of laminate uke) and the action lowered if it's too high. Soprano size works for any ages, no need to go for bigger sizes unless you want a deeper sound, need more finger space (highly unlikely for a kid), or want to try different tunings like low G or DGBE. But for a kid who's just starting to play I wouldn't worry about it. You don't need to upgrade in size like you would for a cello for example.
Have fun! :)

Top Bottom