PDA

View Full Version : medley of "old Genesis" songs

uke4ia
08-28-2012, 12:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgIEiCnJ2F8

Over the years, I've learned bits and pieces of a lot of songs from Genesis' progressive rock days. For many of the songs, either I can't play the entire song on uke or there are sections where the key is wildly outside my singing range. So I took pieces of nine different songs from 1970 to 1980 and put them together in a medley.

PoiDog
08-28-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm certain you are more than aware of this already, but whenever I attempt to play anything by one of the "masters" the thing that stands out the most for me is a huge respect for just how incredibly good the professionals really are.

And just how much better than me you are, as well.

Good job and thanks for the nostalgic medley.

Me? I'm just a lawnmower. You can tell me by the way I walk.

Barbablanca
08-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Nursery Crime and Foxtrot were masterpieces. I still have all the hairs on my body stand on end when Gabriel sings: "Take us to the new JERUSALEM!" - It's up there with key moments in Beethoven's Ninth.

To revive an old debate, they were never the same after Gabriel left :rolleyes:

PS What are the chords you use for "Watcher of the Skies"?

spookefoote
08-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Nursery Crime and Foxtrot were masterpieces. I still have all the hairs on my body stand on end when Gabriel sings: "Take us to the new JERUSALEM!" - It's up there with key moments in Beethoven's Ninth.

To revive an old debate, they were never the same after Gabriel left :rolleyes:

I didn't know Genesis existed after Gabriel left. Didn't it become the Phil Collins sing about my divorce band?

By the way, you are ten men!

PoiDog
08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
I didn't know Genesis existed after Gabriel left. Didn't it become the Phil Collins sing about my divorce band?

Now, now, now. He sang about some other things. Not many, but I do seem to recall at least one song about immigration policy ...

:P

uke4ia
08-28-2012, 11:41 AM
The advantage of the Phil Collins years as singer was all their albums got published in sheet music. From the Peter Gabriel years, some songs were covered in the Seconds Out and Genesis Anthology books, but there's a lot that you have to figure out on your own if you want to play it, or find someone on-line who's done the work for you. Prog rock is hard to figure out on your own.

Barbablanca, I'll try to find time tonight to write down the chords for Watcher of the Skies.

uke4ia
08-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Barbablanca, here's what I play for Watcher of the Skies. I know the "more than their childhood games" line isn't the same chords as the record.

Bmaj7 C# Bmaj7 C# F#

F#
B E F# B
Watcher of the skies watcher of all
E B F#
His is a world alone no world is his own,
B E F#
He whom life can no longer surprise,
E B F#
Raising his eyes beholds a planet unknown.

Bmaj7 C# Bmaj7 C#

Bmaj7 C#
Creatures shaped this planet's soil,
Bmaj7 C#
Now their reign has come to an end,
Bmaj7
Has life again destroyed life,
C#
Do they play elsewhere, do they know
D# A# C D F#
More than their childhood games?
B E F#
Maybe the lizard's shed its tail,
E B F#
This is the end of man's long union with Earth.

F# Bm
E Am
D Gm
C D

23skidoo
08-29-2012, 02:13 AM
Holy smokes, Jim - mind officially blown.....

uke4ia
08-29-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm certain you are more than aware of this already, but whenever I attempt to play anything by one of the "masters" the thing that stands out the most for me is a huge respect for just how incredibly good the professionals really are.

The masters don't worry me, they inspire me to play better. I accept that I'll never get to their level, and just try to see what level I can get to.

The ones who worry me are the guitar groupies on YouTube who've taken many years of guitar lessons and learn all of their heroes' licks note for note. For example, I'm subscribed to one prog-rock fanatic on YouTube who memorizes all of these obscure instrumentals off solo albums by Anthony Phillips (the Genesis lead guitar before Steve Hackett). A week ago, he posted a note-perfect re-creation of just the guitar part from "More Fool Me" on the "Selling England by the Pound" record. Whenever I post a video of a Genesis or Yes song, I expect these kind of folks to give me crap for not playing a couple of notes the way they were on the original. I've been thinking about doing a video of "Roundabout" on soprano instead of tenor just to keep the Steve Howe groupies from complaining that I changed a riff or didn't play the harmonics. But you know, while I worry about this, in truth the worst I've had so far was someone pointing out that I played one song in a different key than the original.

PoiDog
08-29-2012, 04:54 PM
The masters don't worry me, they inspire me to play better. I accept that I'll never get to their level, and just try to see what level I can get to.

The ones who worry me are the guitar groupies on YouTube who've taken many years of guitar lessons and learn all of their heroes' licks note for note. For example, I'm subscribed to one prog-rock fanatic on YouTube who memorizes all of these obscure instrumentals off solo albums by Anthony Phillips (the Genesis lead guitar before Steve Hackett). A week ago, he posted a note-perfect re-creation of just the guitar part from "More Fool Me" on the "Selling England by the Pound" record. Whenever I post a video of a Genesis or Yes song, I expect these kind of folks to give me crap for not playing a couple of notes the way they were on the original. I've been thinking about doing a video of "Roundabout" on soprano instead of tenor just to keep the Steve Howe groupies from complaining that I changed a riff or didn't play the harmonics. But you know, while I worry about this, in truth the worst I've had so far was someone pointing out that I played one song in a different key than the original.

I totally hear you about the inspiration. Shootz, I get inspired by the guy who can still play a first position E cleanly on a consistent basis (I have about a 50-50 success rate with that buggah).

As far as the clones, you're totally right to give them the short shrift. I mean, it's great that they can be as perfect as the record, but so what? Two examples I have (both on guitar) are Rush's Limelight and Zappa's Camarillo Brillo. I struggle with each but can almost do a passable version - minus a lot of the extra curricular stuff that Alex Lifeson or Zappa added. If someone were to give me grief over it, I suppose I'd give them a bit of a blank stare and wonder why they were so upset about it.

In any case, I totally dig the stuff you do. Uke Prog is just da kine application!