Manland Ukulele and Mya Moe - A Tale of Customer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimUke

Reaction score
A few months ago, I bought a Tenor ukulele from Gordon and Char at Mya Moe ukes. Sadly, I soon discovered that the tenor size just wasn't for me. I felt terrible about this and didn't even want to tell Gordon and Char because in my eye they were in no way responsible for the choices I made when building my uke. Anyway, the folks at Mya Moe were concerned because as Char said....we want you to absolutely love your Mya Moe. I tried a few string changes and in the end the decision to part with the uke was reached. What did MM do? They bought back my uke and found it a new home AND WERE HAPPY TO HELP.

A month or so ago, I bought a Mainland Pineapple from a member of this forum who purchased the uke in April. Shortly after the purchase, the bridge of the uke popped off. I called Mike @ Mainland Ukes and started to tell him the story. Before I could get the words out about the bridge popping off...Mike said...Aah the bridge popped off....I thought ok...he knows of this happening with this uke (and a forum search and internet searching confirmed that this is an issue with this particular uke) so all will be ok. I expected a sorry this happened to you....we will replace this immediately...or ship it back for a fix....SOMETHING that showed a little concern for someone just being exposed to his brand and experiencing a problem just 4 months after the uke was put in service. Instead, there was an immediate reluctance to help. I was told to write him an email (which I did) and that he would have to discuss the matter with his wife.

To make a long story longer, when Mike got back to me I was told that the only way they would help me is if I shipped the ukulele back to the purchaser (whose reputation was attacked in the email) and then shipped to him. When I pushed a little harder saying...why not work with me directly then...because shipping this inexpensive uke around the country 4 times instead of two made little sense, I received no further response.

I made the decision that it was MORE important to get this story out than to have my ukulele replaced/repaired by Mainland - because frankly - I can afford to eat the expense where other future customers may not have that luxury or may wish to reconsider purchasing a uke whose bridge is known to pop off. So, I've put my money where my mouth is.
I don't want reluctant customer service!

This is MY experience with Mainland. I am not really interested in praise of the company or more damaging stories, I just wanted to share my story.

I did let Mike know that I would be vocal in sharing my experience. I didn't want to be threatening - as I mentioned specifically to Mike - but it seemed completely absurd to be in a position where obstacles driving the cost of a repair or replacement of the uke were being intentionally put in my way. I really don't see how expecting a repair on a 4 month old uke with a known issue is unreasonable and why an owner wouldn't be bending over backwards to rectify the situation in the easiest way possible.J

The End

Sorry about the experience, personally, I have come to know Mike as extremely knowledgeable about his product and responsive. Also, his prices (both components and products) are competitive.

A few months ago, I bought a Tenor ukulele from Gordon and Char at Mya Moe ukes. Sadly, I soon discovered that the tenor size just wasn't for me. I felt terrible about this and didn't even want to tell Gordon and Char because in my eye they were in no way responsible for the choices I made when building my uke. Anyway, the folks at Mya Moe were concerned because as Char said....we want you to absolutely love your Mya Moe. I tried a few string changes and in the end the decision to part with the uke was reached. What did MM do? They bought back my uke and found it a new home AND WERE HAPPY TO HELP.

A month or so ago, I bought a Mainland Pineapple from a member of this forum who purchased the uke in April. Shortly after the purchase, the bridge of the uke popped off. I called Mike @ Mainland Ukes and started to tell him the story. Before I could get the words out about the bridge popping off...Mike said...Aah the bridge popped off....I thought ok...he knows of this happening with this uke (and a forum search and internet searching confirmed that this is an issue with this particular uke) so all will be ok. I expected a sorry this happened to you....we will replace this immediately...or ship it back for a fix....SOMETHING that showed a little concern for someone just being exposed to his brand and experiencing a problem just 4 months after the uke was put in service. Instead, there was an immediate reluctance to help. I was told to write him an email (which I did) and that he would have to discuss the matter with his wife.

To make a long story longer, when Mike got back to me I was told that the only way they would help me is if I shipped the ukulele back to the purchaser (whose reputation was attacked in the email) and then shipped to him. When I pushed a little harder saying...why not work with me directly then...because shipping this inexpensive uke around the country 4 times instead of two made little sense, I received no further response.

I made the decision that it was MORE important to get this story out than to have my ukulele replaced/repaired by Mainland - because frankly - I can afford to eat the expense where other future customers may not have that luxury or may wish to reconsider purchasing a uke whose bridge is known to pop off. So, I've put my money where my mouth is.
I don't want reluctant customer service!

This is MY experience with Mainland. I am not really interested in praise of the company or more damaging stories, I just wanted to share my story.

I did let Mike know that I would be vocal in sharing my experience. I didn't want to be threatening - as I mentioned specifically to Mike - but it seemed completely absurd to be in a position where obstacles driving the cost of a repair or replacement of the uke were being intentionally put in my way. I really don't see how expecting a repair on a 4 month old uke with a known issue is unreasonable and why an owner wouldn't be bending over backwards to rectify the situation in the easiest way possible.J

The End

Thanks, Christian.

The stance taken here is inexplicable to me.

The problem: The uke is known to be 4 months old...the bridge popped off.....it has happened to other owners...

The solution: Stand behind what you sell, fix uke, please customer, sell more ukes!

The crazy thing is that I was going to buy another one...because I want a non- pineapple....but how do I ignore how this is being handled and feel good supporting this type of customer service?

Most companies only honor a warranty for the original owner. I know there are exceptions, but this is the case most of the time.

KimUke: "The stance taken here is inexplicable to me." With all due respect, KimUke, it's explicable to me when I read their warranty.

For what it's worth, here's the Mainland Warranty, directly from their website:

Our Guarantee

If you are not satisfied with your ukulele return it within 15 days for a refund.

Since our ukuleles are all solid wood, it is possible that small crack could develop in the wood grain if they are not cared for properly. As long as you take good care of your ukulele and consider the heat and humidity with caring for your instrument, we will of course cover you if any flaw would become apparent within a years time. We will make every effort to be available for you and will reply to your concerns promptly. Your satisfaction is our top priority.

Ukuleles purchase from dealers, must be returned thru that dealer.

Warranty is valid only to the original purchaser.

Any modification to the ukulele will void the warranty.

Our warranty does not cover damage due to negligence, accident or improper storage, including exposure to extremes in temperature, humidity and lack of humidity and other enviromental extremes.

*****The lesson I learned from your important and respected posting is to always, always, read and understand the benefits and limitations of a manufacturer's warranty, even when buying a used uke. Thank you for raising this key point, KimUke.

Last edited:
Hey Kim, Since the uke isn't covered under warranty rather then shipping it all over the country if it were mine I would take it to my local luthier and have them put the bridge back on. It shouldn't be a big deal for a luthier and shouldn't cost to much. It would probably be a lot cheaper then the shipping cost your going to have to pay.
I'm not a luthier and I've put a couple of bridges on guitars with the right clamps with good outcomes.

In my opinion, KimUke, you are being a little unreasonable. Mainland is not obligated to help you with this matter, though sure they could and that would be nice if they did, but they are not obligated. He made a business transaction with the original buyer, not you. You should take this up with the guy you bought the uke from, not Mainland.

Hey Kim, Since the uke isn't covered under warranty rather then shipping it all over the country if it were mine I would take it to my local luthier and have them put the bridge back on. It shouldn't be a big deal for a luthier and shouldn't cost to much. It would probably be a lot cheaper then the shipping cost your going to have to pay.
I'm not a luthier and I've put a couple of bridges on guitars with the right clamps with good outcomes.

I had this issue. Local guitar shop fixed it up pretty for $25.

Sorry guys . . . closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom