Up-Strumming techniques...

bdn3191

Reaction score
I've been having problems in getting my strumming right. I can down strum, but when I upstrum it feels unnatural, and sometimes I will inadvertently pluck a string. Is there a better way to upstrum? I strum down with my nail and upstrum with the "fleshy bit."

Try using a pick until you get the hang of the rhythm then go back to using your finger. Coincidentally when I started playing, as a young lad, I used my thumb instead and I actually find it difficult to strum with my finger so perhaps you could try that also.

Hope this helps and welcome to the underground.

There's no "best" way to strum---fingers, thumbs, picks, and combinations can all work well. Eventually, each uke player develops her/his own style (or a few styles).

To help develop your upstrum, I'd recommend upstrumming (with no downstrums in between) softly and very slowly---like one strum at a time. Pay attention to how your fingertip makes each string sound. As these slow upstrums start to sound and feel good to you, begin to upstrum less quietly and more quickly---along with a slow foot tap. If you notice a problem, slow back down and play a little more softly. Keep increasing volume and tempo as you gain confidence.

Once the upstrum's feeling good at normal volume and tempo, integrate it with your downstrum. If problems arise, slow down and play a little more softly.

Have fun!

Ralf's advice is great. I'd also suggest you try playing some sequences which use a lot of upbeats like Reggae. Try a basic C F and G sequence and hit the bass string with a down stroke and then follow that with three upstrokes in a kind of Boom chic, chic, ,..., chic pattern so characteristic of Reggae. I think it helps to have a sound in your mind to aim for.

Good luck with developing that upstroke!

I had the same problem as you, I could down strum, but tried pretty much everything in search for what I termed "the allusive up strum" after trying and trying and practising in a way similar to Ralf's suggestion, I finally got it!

So you've been given great advice, keep trying. I strum with my thumb both up and down, it's the only way that ever felt "right" to me and as someone also said, there is no "right" or "wrong" way, just go with what works for you. I also used a pick for a while and that helped give me the sound I was looking for, but still had to practice with my hands a lot.

Keep going, you'll get there! Welcome to UU :D

Top Bottom