PDA

View Full Version : What exactly IS a Ukulele car?

Tudorp
08-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Ok.. I just thought this was funny. A little unknown (in this forum) thing about me is that I am a HUGE (no pun intended) car guy. Since I was able to walk I followed my dad around (he was an old hot rod guy back in the 1940s) and had actually built my 1st car at age 15 before I even had a license to drive it. Built many hot rods, or restored classics over the decades of my adult hood before I became disabled and not able to enjoy that hobby as I loved to. Not only hot rods, but also classic Volkswagens. Myself and my wife build several VW projects over the years before my daughter was born but that has been on hold for years due to disability as well as raising my daughter. My daughter also has a huge love of classic VWs and we just bought as a family project, and also as my daughter's first car (yeah, she's coming into the driving age) a 1969 VW Bug. When I was showing it off to a friend, he smiled as most do when they see it, and said to me (he also knowing I'm a huge Uke guy), "Well, buddy, you being such a huge guy and loving small thing, this doesn't suprize me. THIS is the perfect Ukulele Car my friend!!!"

What do you think? Is it a match? Uke Car? ;)
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Tudorp/1969%20VW/08282012a.jpg

SailingUke
08-28-2012, 09:59 AM
this is a ukulele car !!!
http://www.facebook.com/anacapaukulele (http://www.facebook.com/anacapaukulele)

Cornfield
08-28-2012, 10:05 AM
A King Midget would be a perfect Ukulele car. An original AC Cobra would also be a perfect uke car.

Tudorp
08-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Never thought about the term before, but when he said "Uke Car", the images of VW's, Mini Coopers, Nash Metropolatian all came to mind.. I don't see AC Cobra when I think "Uke Car" for sure though.

janeray1940
08-28-2012, 10:11 AM
BMW Isetta (http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/bmwisetta250.html) would be the perfect uke car. Just pop open the front door and you've got an instant stage!

Freeda
08-28-2012, 10:12 AM
BMW Isetta (http://microcarmuseum.com/tour/bmwisetta250.html) would be the perfect uke car. Just pop open the front door and you've got an instant stage!

Haaaaaahahahaaaa... I love that! Is that for real?

janeray1940
08-28-2012, 10:13 AM

They're totally for real! I've driven a couple of them. So fun.

vanflynn
08-28-2012, 10:15 AM
The obvious would be a Woodie, but I think the Isetta is a great choice.

Cornfield
08-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Never thought about the term before, but when he said "Uke Car", the images of VW's, Mini Coopers, Nash Metropolatian all came to mind.. I don't see AC Cobra when I think "Uke Car" for sure though.

Well, maybe someone on the UU forum would let me borrow their AC cobra so I could prove it. :)

Here are pictures of a King Midget and a Messerschmit

OldePhart
08-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Love the old air-cooled VWs - bugs and busses alike.

Haven't owned one in years though because I need my AC living here in TX and the AC (factory and aftermarket) just plain sucked on them. Took about half the power of the poor little motors to give you lukewarm air through the vents. That was why I didn't bring my pristine bus back from Iceland - I knew I was going to the SoCal desert (if I'd been headed for LA I would've kept it for sure).

I have to agree both the bugs and busses are great "uke cars" though. In fact, I wish I had a bus for the annual UWC trip...

John

Plainsong
08-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey, with the right paint job, that would be a very ukadelic car. :)

My vote for an also uke-mobile would be the Fiat 500 (classic) or if it's the new one, the Fiat 500 Abarth.

Tudorp
08-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Love the busses too. I restored and drove a 57 kombi splitty years ago. Wish I still had that one.
[
QUOTE=OldePhart;1031253]Love the old air-cooled VWs - bugs and busses alike.
Vft
Haven't owned one in years though because I need my AC living here in TX and the AC (factory and aftermarket) just plain sucked on them. Took about half the power of the poor little motors to give you lukewarm air through the vents. That was why I didn't bring my pristine bus back from Iceland - I knew I was going to the SoCal desert (if I'd been headed for LA I would've kept it for sure).

I have to agree both the bugs and busses are great "uke cars" though. In fact, I wish I had a bus for the annual UWC trip...

John[/QUOTE]

1931jim
08-28-2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Freeda

We had a neighbour in the Army who brought one back with him from Germany in the late 50's. It was as you say janeray1940 "So fun" except it was always getting stuck in the snow, and it tipped and turned over at the drop of a hat or a bottle of beer. Thanks for the memories everyone and not forgetting Tudorp.
Jim

LM in Kentucky
08-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Heres a pic of my first car, this is not mine, but soooo exact Im wondering if this isnt the same car, 1959 Fiat I got in 1973. No starter, had to be pushed to start. suicide doors, 4 sp on the column . . .
Definititely a UKE GT ;)

http://www.ystafell.is/old/Fiat_1100_web_s.jpg

vanflynn
08-28-2012, 03:13 PM
LM, I'm lovin that Fiat.

BTW, the Bug back window well is where they put the youngest (ie. me) back before kid seats and seatbelts

ksiegel
08-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Heres a pic of my first car, this is not mine, but soooo exact Im wondering if this isnt the same car, 1959 Fiat I got in 1973. No starter, had to be pushed to start. suicide doors, 4 sp on the column . . .
Definititely a UKE GT ;)

http://www.ystafell.is/old/Fiat_1100_web_s.jpg

Can't be a real one - there isn't enough rust!

(Of course, I live in Upstate NY, where road salt is ubiquitous, and older Fiats tended to disintegrate...)

-Kurt

LM in Kentucky
08-28-2012, 03:39 PM
LM, I'm lovin that Fiat.

BTW, the Bug back window well is where they put the youngest (ie. me) back before kid seats and seatbelts

Ha ha ha :o

Mine had these crazy hemp/rope storage sack type things on the back of each front seat, also good for stashing the kidlettes and small dogs or cats ;)

LM in Kentucky
08-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Can't be a real one - there isn't enough rust!

(Of course, I live in Upstate NY, where road salt is ubiquitous, and older Fiats tended to disintegrate...)

-Kurt

Not just Fiats . . . I lived in Vermont for a few years. That caustic salt/slush stuff totally destroyed the bottom of my Suzuki :uhoh:

Peel Trident,
THIS---is a UKEmobile !!!! :shaka:

http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/9/d2/9d2a3894987770621277d16adffcff8c-orig

sim4lin
08-28-2012, 04:45 PM
My uncle's '28 Willy's Whippet... This is a good banjo ukulele car!

vanflynn
08-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Definitely a banjo Uke car sim.

I had a 76 Mustang II and a 80 Chev Chevette. Even the kazoo forum wouldn't want them babies.

Ron
08-28-2012, 05:59 PM
In New Zealand i think we'd go for the Trekka - a short lived home-grown production from the sixties.42364I just has a sort of agricultural appeal. Maybe goes with this songhttps://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/402115_330548373646298_200444435_n.jpg

sim4lin
08-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Definitely a banjo Uke car sim.

I had a 76 Mustang II and a 80 Chev Chevette. Even the kazoo forum wouldn't want them babies.

Nose flute maybe...

808boy
08-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Aloha Tudor,
The 69 Bug IS perfect. Built the same model for my daughter's 16 B-Day, but it had the Auto-Stick, so no chance of burning the clutch.
Had a 73 Bus (X Deadhead Bus), de-Hippied it, lowered it, fixed the A/C, beefed up the 1.8 motor to 2.0, ran like a champ in the NorCal Valley with the A/C on and 100 degrees outside air. Never over heated due to external oil cooler with helper fan.
Pretty girl, Ukulele, 69 Bug = perfect for each other. .........................BO....................

mm stan
08-28-2012, 10:20 PM
I love bugs and it is a great car...your daughter will be very happy...

Ukeval
08-29-2012, 12:11 AM
The less expensive cabriolet, very nice ukulele car !

Tudorp
08-29-2012, 02:22 AM
When we lived in California, and I was working in the Yuppie world. All my co-workers drove around in their BMWs, Audi, and their other cars, and they used to give me hell because MY car of choice was a sweet, show room condition 1974 Ford Pinto, complete with all the original Avocato green interior and shag carpet. I loved that car. It was as clean as it was new, and I put "Vanity" license plates on it that read "MOLOTOV". Those around in that era might understand that plate.. lol.
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Tudorp/pinto.jpg

OldePhart
08-29-2012, 07:01 AM
LM, I'm lovin that Fiat.

Heh, heh. I worked in a grocery store back in high school. I worked in the produce department but sometimes helped out up front when we'd get busy. I hated canning season because we'd get little old ladies buying two or thee 100lb sacks of sugar, sometimes. I remember one time they called me up front to bring a six-wheeler with two bags of sugar. This little gramma about ninety if she was a day had a full cart of groceries, several cartons of canning jars, and the two bags of sugar. We got out to her car and it was a bug...and it was already half-full of junk. I had to wrestle one of those 100lb sacks of sugar up behind that seat and to this day I have no idea how, or if, her grandson managed to get it out when she got home...

I suspect she may have just made a lot of trips to the car with a measuring cup each time she needed sugar...

John

Kerry1976
08-29-2012, 07:05 AM
I vote for the Isetta or the Trident!

1931jim
08-29-2012, 07:21 AM
OldePhart wrote.............
I suspect she may have just made a lot of trips to the car with a measuring cup each time she needed sugar...

John
That is one sweet car story.

janeray1940
08-29-2012, 07:25 AM

As a teenager just coming of driving age in Southern California, many of my friends had Bugs as their first car. The back window well was where they put *me* because I was the smallest!

Teenagers + no seatbelts + the dawn of punk rock + bars and liquor stores only too happy to serve the underaged = it's a wonder I'm even here to write this :)

Kauai808
08-29-2012, 07:56 AM
That is a nice bug! Female enough for your daughter with just the right amount of cool. I think it's perfect!

OldePhart
08-29-2012, 12:30 PM
OldePhart wrote.............

John
That is one sweet car story.

Groooaaaaannnnn! :)

Could have been pretty funny if she'd been in an accident... Well...you know what I mean.

About ten or fifteen years ago a tanker truck carrying syrup overturned on one of the freeways here. I remember they called out the hazmat teams in moon suits to clean up the mess - which really makes you wonder what the heck we're putting on our pancakes!

OldePhart
08-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Teenagers + no seatbelts + the dawn of punk rock + bars and liquor stores only too happy to serve the underaged = it's a wonder I'm even here to write this :)

Ain't that the truth! I can remember packing nine of us into my Datsun hatchback for a 100+ mile round trip on icy roads on more than one occasion...

Tudorp
08-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Now how many of us remember riding down the freeway at 70+ mph in the back of an open pick up? I remember me, a friend, and two of my sisters riding in the back of the pick up when my dad was bringing home an old piano mom bought. We sat on the bench, playing the hell out of that piano and singing at the top of our lungs all the way down the freeway home. Sure, we got looks, but thqt only made us play and sing louder.. was a blast we can never again do without getting arrested. Lol

vanflynn
08-29-2012, 01:32 PM
. We sat on the bench, playing the hell out of that piano and singing at the top of our lungs all the way down the freeway home.

Now that sounds like fun!

Teek
08-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Ain't that the truth! I can remember packing nine of us into my Datsun hatchback for a 100+ mile round trip on icy roads on more than one occasion...

We were coming back from Sequoia a few weeks ago and stopped for gas. A little beater hatchback pulled over to the air station and about four people got out and a big kid in a football jersey was given the job of airing the back tire. Either he didn't pay attention, didn't know any better, or the pressure gauge was broken. In maybe half a minute there was a huge POW! and he staggered back stunned. He'd blown up the tire, probably blew it off the rim. He was fine but shell shocked. The adult male came back out of the store with his crew of women and kids and buddies, and surveyed the damage. Then he told everyone in the rear seat to get out, it was maybe three more, and then he opened the hatch to get to the jack and tire tools, but first three kids had to crawl out.

I was hoping they were locals and weren't going very far....

Love the eyebrows on the Bug! Very very cute.

My ex had an Isetta in the 70s, he said you never had to worry about starting it if the battery was flat, you just rock in the seat and pop the clutch. My family also sold Fiats in the '70s and we had a little vintage bright red 500 with the store name in gold leaf on the doors.

I would say those three plus the Nash Metropolitan are all cool little uke cars. And probably the little bullet nosed Studebaker.

mangorockfish
08-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Hey Tu', someone changed the front fenders. Those aren't 69s, they're 66s or before. I AM a bug guy.

Tudorp
08-29-2012, 02:55 PM
You gots a good eye mango. Yes, its a late 69, but a 73 1641 dp, and 64 Fenders. I love the earlier fenders. More character IMHO.

weerpool
08-29-2012, 03:06 PM
i own one!!! mine is aqua blue 42390but i love my jag better. i collect european micro car aside from vintage electric guitar.

vanflynn
08-29-2012, 03:23 PM
i own one!!!42390

now that is a sweet ride you can be proud of.

WOBster
08-29-2012, 06:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1963.landrover.s2a.arp.jpg
I think this is a Uke car...the go anywhere do anything series Land Rover...just like the go anywhere do anything ukulele!

TCK
08-29-2012, 06:37 PM
I would give my eye teeth for an Isetta, but thanks to Erkel, it is an accordion car. Vespa 400 is a uke car.
Built lots of Falcons over the years, and I am down to only one (mixed blessing), but when you jump out of one of them with a uke in hand, no one seems surprised at all

OldePhart
08-30-2012, 06:37 AM
Built lots of Falcons over the years, and I am down to only one (mixed blessing),

Heh, the first car I had that was really mine was a red Falcon wagon ('61 if I remember right). I traded a ten-speed bicycle for it. It was a mosquito killer for sure - had piston slap so bad you could hear it coming three blocks away. From J.C. Whitney I got some drop-in pellets that, together with an oil additive, were supposed to replate the insides of the cylinders. It did help enough that the car quieted down quite a bit though it still smoked like a coal-fired power plant. I drove it for a few months and then traded it for...a ten-speed bicycle (albeit a better one so overall I "traded up").

TCK
08-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Haha- yeah, we tend to spend a little time smoothing out what most folks remember as the "Falcon Experience" before we throw them at the highway 42470
Heh, the first car I had that was really mine was a red Falcon wagon ('61 if I remember right). I traded a ten-speed bicycle for it. It was a mosquito killer for sure - had piston slap so bad you could hear it coming three blocks away. From J.C. Whitney I got some drop-in pellets that, together with an oil additive, were supposed to replate the insides of the cylinders. It did help enough that the car quieted down quite a bit though it still smoked like a coal-fired power plant. I drove it for a few months and then traded it for...a ten-speed bicycle (albeit a better one so overall I "traded up").

vanflynn
08-31-2012, 03:13 AM
From J.C. Whitney I got some drop-in pellets

Thank God for JC Whitney. They keep many a POS car on the road (sorta) with little expense

ralphk
08-31-2012, 03:27 AM
An earlier posting suggested a Studabaker. How about this one?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Studebaker-champion-convertible-1950.jpg

sim4lin
08-31-2012, 04:24 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Studebaker-champion-convertible-1950.jpg

Hmmm, red Studebaker convertible with a drum kit in the back...
Yep, that's the one!

OldePhart
08-31-2012, 06:43 AM
Haha- yeah, we tend to spend a little time smoothing out what most folks remember as the "Falcon Experience" before we throw them at the highway 42470

Well, that one certainly looks a lot nicer than mine did! I remember being glad mine was faded red because it made the rust less obvious...in fact, it was often hard to tell where oxidized paint ended and real rust began...

OldePhart
08-31-2012, 06:46 AM

Sweet! But, begs the question, "was the lambskin there to protect the car or the drums?"

tattwo
09-01-2012, 11:14 AM
My uke car ;)