Cheap way to humidify your uke.......

808boy

Reaction score
Aloha Kakou,
Don't know if anyone else is doing this but I like it and I can put it in the soundhole without stretching the strings.
Found Water Pillows at a cigar shop for $2.50 and used a hair pin to secure to a string.................works for me...................BO..............

Attachments

• 2006-01-01 005.jpg
    2006-01-01 005.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 2006-01-01 006.jpg
    2006-01-01 006.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 2006-01-01 007.jpg
    2006-01-01 007.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 2006-01-01 008.jpg
    2006-01-01 008.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 2006-01-01 009.jpg
    2006-01-01 009.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 66
You bringing back pics from the grave or is your date stamp on the camera wrong? :p

You showing off your ukes again? :)

Eh, Bruddah Gary, just showing how I put it in the sound hole with different configurations, but then you knew that, you humbug. hahahaha

Nice idea! Do those use the water absorbing crystals?

@Doc, yes they do and they work great. Cheap way for guys with alot of ukes.........................

@BIGDB,
Yes they are reusable. I resoak mine when the bags are shrunk (they're fat when hydrated).
Oh, on ebay, 12 for less than $10.00 including shipping, bought 24 for $19.96. A no brainer for cheap insurance.............................BO........................

@BIGDB,
Yes they are reusable. I resoak mine when the bags are shrunk (they're fat when hydrated).
Oh, on ebay, 12 for less than $10.00 including shipping, bought 24 for $19.96. A no brainer for cheap insurance.............................BO........................

ok thank you

Aloha Doc,
Yes they do work well. I built some out of the skinnier glidder tubes as per Oldfarte to use between the strings in the sound holes. My concern was when I picked up the uke case, the tube was banging inside of the sound hole with each step, and the strings were still stretched a little to hold the tube in place. With this method, no string stretch, and no banging inside of the uke. And no fabrication involved...................................BO..........................

Yep Bo those humidor bags do seem also easier and less messy.
I usually just put a humidifier in the case, I never put one in the sound whole.
So far never had a problem. But then we don't need much humidifying here in Georgia, just a little when heating in Dec-Feb.

Aloha Bruddah Bo,
Wow what a pracitical and inexpensive way to hydate your ukes......thank you for sharing... on hot days I put a jigger of water in my room and check it in 3 days and there is 25% gone...

@Doc. I guess Georgia is humid like Hawaii. When I go there, it takes me a few days to get acclimated. And it's hard to sleep without an air conditioner, so sticky.
@Stan, let me know if you need some. I'll send some over.......................BO.......................

Aloha Doc,
Yes they do work well. I built some out of the skinnier glidder tubes as per Oldfarte to use between the strings in the sound holes. My concern was when I picked up the uke case, the tube was banging inside of the sound hole with each step, and the strings were still stretched a little to hold the tube in place. With this method, no string stretch, and no banging inside of the uke. And no fabrication involved...................................BO..........................

Wow, banging in the sound hole? I've never had that - in my cases the padded top actually presses down (gently) against the top of the tubes. I'd say I've never had a problem except last weekend when we went to Houston I was carrying an armload of stuff up the stairs and my mahogany soprano in it's foam case got away from me and bounced pretty good (it didn't help that I actually kicked it trying to catch it :( ). No damage but both of the tubes I had in the strings went into the uke and I had to fish them out! So...I definitely wouldn't recommend those tubes for shipping or flying with!

John

@John,
I guess my cases are'nt as good as yours hence the movement of the tube. In any case, the Water Pillows do work well without any concern of damage to the uke.....................................BO..............................

Kalihi-Do those water pillows leak or are they wet to the touch? I had a little homemade humidfier that dripped all over the uke label in the sound hole. Caused all the colors to bleed off the sticker. No biggie but I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Mahalos for the advice.

Eh, Bruddah Kauai,
Never had any problem of leakage. After I soak the pad, I shake off the excess water, dab it with a paper towel, then put them in the plastic pouch. No muss, no fuss and no, they are not wet to the touch being enclosed in the pouch.............................BO........................

Last edited:
Top Bottom