pickups for resonators?

ukulele-melee

Reaction score
Having a discussion over the weekend regarding a reso build and was asked about putting in a pickup. I assume this has been done before, is it necessary to use a microphone type pickup? Or is there a better method?

My experience is with resonator guitars and not ukes but what I use may cross over. I've tried lots of pickups but have not really been happy with any. They're all for spider setups too and very expensive. For the Fishman Nashville pup and Jerry Douglas pedal you're lookin at nearly $450.00. What I have gone to is a K&K Silver Bullet mic. It's a small mic and can be had for $120.00 or so and comes with a pre. I like the xlr setup best and it just plugs right into the board. I made a rubber "plug" that wedges in one of the cover plate openings. The plug has a hole that will take the mic which is maybe 1/4" or 5/16 dia, something like that. Slide the mic in the hole and you're good to go. The little mic has very good tone to my ears and you can play at some pretty highs spl's without feedback. You kinda gotta experiment with just the right location on the cover plate for the best sound. Here's a pic of how I use to do it when I bent some spring wire and clipped the mic to the plate. The plug works best tho.

DSC00548.jpg

Top Bottom