PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts an prayers...

TCK
08-28-2012, 04:42 PM
I have made a lot of friends here over the last nearly two years, and one of the best of them is Mr. Dirk Wormhoudt, the man who makes my strings.
Dirk is about the nicest guy in the world, he will do anything we ask of him to make our ukes sound better, and he is fun guy to talk too whenever, because man...what he knows about music...it would boggle the minds of most. What he knows about strings is even more amazing.
I figure most of us may not know old Dirk is 9th Ward Louisiana. He may strangle me for writing this, but he just finished rebuilding from Miss Katrina (not sure that is common knowledge), and 7 years to the day...here comes Isaac. No matter, The Cloverdale Kid...he speaks from the heart and inserts the foot often.
Now, I am not sure, but I figure that the pain of rebuilding comes from a tie to a musical heritage that cannot be denied for him...hell, I figure we are all tied to the plot of land we owe the bank for, but in the case of Mr. Dirk, it might go a little deeper. I could be wrong.
Bottom line, the fellow is my friend (and makes me awesome strings), and there are lots of really strong people...the strongest people in the world I figure, going through this all over again.
I hate to oblige, but could you all bow your heads for a minute for our fellow ukers...our fellow humans really, in Louisiana- the birth place of our American music, and send them your best wishes?
Love you guys...you know that. Mr. Dirk, I certainly hope all is well with you and yours and that Mr. Isaac is nothing like the last.
Bless you my friend-On my knees asking the higher power to send you nothing but sunshine.
The Cloverdale Kid and his lovely Wifey

roxhum
08-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Amen........

PhilUSAFRet
08-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Been praying for that area right along.....have some relatives in Bay St. Louis MS.

Steedy
08-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Great post Kid! Praying for Dirk W. and everyone in the Gulf Coast region tonight.

Patrick Madsen
08-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Amen to that.

mm stan
08-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Aloha Dave,
Yes My prayers sent everything will be all right...Yes Dirk has the kindest geneous heart and shares so much of his aloha with us all here...his friendship means so much...Take Care Dirk and
all in the that area....

TCK
08-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Bless up brothers and sisters. Miss Katrina taught us exactly how resilient the human condition is, and I have followed that daily for exactly 7 years. Beautiful people for certain down there. People that inspire me constantly to be stronger and better than I am. Not ashamed to admit I have been wiping away tears for all of them all day as the news comes in.
Phil, consider you and yours added to my docket.
Dave

seeso
08-28-2012, 05:05 PM
All my best to Louisiana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGs2iLoDUYE

Kimosabe
08-28-2012, 05:16 PM
I agree 1000%. He's a wonderful guy who has been extremely kind in his responses to me regarding strings. He has also talked music and life. Solid gold.

His strings have been a revelation. I have his Cuatro strings on my baritone and they're opened up so many possibilities in terms of rhythm and lead playing.

And I have his classical metal strings on my Kanilea. They're beautiful in tone and feel. The tension is just like nylon but they're metal and they don't wear out.

I also have his various types of strings on all my other ukes. I like Aguila but Southcoast strings are best.

I'm not a religious person but I do wish the force is with Dirk. He deserves the best. He has suffered enough. Give him a hand and buy his strings and his ukes. Thank you for posting your sympathy.

TCK
08-28-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm not a religious person but I do wish the force is with Dirk.
The force is all we need mate...beautiful post for sure. Would love to see or hear the Kanilea if you have a sample.
Bless ya with the force...
TCK

Trinimon
08-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Let's hope it's not another Katrina. My thoughts and prayers goes out to the folks in the Gulf Coast and wish them safe passage thought Isaac.

808boy
08-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Well put, fellow UU members. Thoughts and prayers to all affected by this natural disaster................

TCK
08-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Play a tune folks, tramp down old Isaac...
Bless you all, and all of yours.
Love this place-
Dave

gitarzan
08-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I'll make sure I'll remember everyone down south.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-28-2012, 06:37 PM
I'll play a few extra New Orleans tunes on my uke to generate extra good vibes for everyone down NOLA way.

joeybug
08-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Thoughts and prayers for those in the path of Issac, have a few friends in that area as well...

Lalz
08-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Oh no! Haven't been reading the news in the past few days, didn't realise there was another hurricane coming their way. All my prayers to them.
New Orleans is probably one of the greatest cities in the world, can't believe they have to go through this again :( At least they seem better prepared this time, I hope things will go ok.

patfia
08-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Thoughts are with those in the path of Isaac. Still remember Katrina, the images of the desperate at the Astrodome. Mary Chapin Carpenter has a haunting song titled "Houston" that gives voice to the plight of the dispossessed. I hope Dirk and all in the path come out well on the other side.

Camsuke
08-28-2012, 10:47 PM
My thoughts and prayers from Australia go out to all you good people, fingers crossed for the best possible outcome.

ukuleledaveey
08-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Heard this on the news last night and sent a cold shiver down my spine, those poor people, after what they faced after the last one, shows they are a strong band down there.
I am non religous, but sending love and what ever,positive karma , hope they make it through and it is at some of the ugliest times that we get to see a glimpse of the beauty and wonder of human nature, the spirit to get through and help others.
Hope it is not as bad as Katrina, will certainly play a few tunes to make those bad old winds change course. All the best from over the pond for our cousins in New Orleans.
best wishes.

kvehe
08-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Thinking of Dirk and all in the path of Isaac.....

Kathryn

CTurner
08-29-2012, 03:10 AM
Total agreement with this thread. I just received an order from Southcoast with the same level of care and skill Dirk has always shown. His commitment to his craft is obvious. Thoughts for the people in Louisiana.

sumppump
08-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Be Praying for you Dirk. Our son is here in Austin; just got out in front of the storm. Lives in St. Bernard Parish. We are watching the TV to see if his trailer is going to hold in there. So far OK. Ps. He is a uker too. Sumppump

southcoastukes
08-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Hello to all @ UU & thanks so much for the kind wishes - it really means a lot!

I had just got back in town from a short trip and had to go into full hurricane prep mode. 20 hours straight of hurricane panel install & general battening down. Then close to a day or so of sleep. Now things are relatively calm.

The storm is not as strong as forecast and has taken more of a westward path, so it's a little further away. Since 2005, I have been across Lake Ponchartrain from New Orleans - about 5 blocks from the Lakeshore. The water came to the other side of the street during Katrina. Even though Isaac isn't generating any killer winds, it's moving slow and pushing a lot of water ahead of it. Folks to the south of us will get it today, and the Lake should peak here on the north around 7 P.M. local time today. Still, I'm not anticipating it getting more than a couple of blocks from here, and we're elevated 3 feet above ground.

In the meantime, we're all secure, indoors (can't see out), listening to the winds and rain and we have a generator. We'll just keep our fingers crossed for the stability of the big water oaks and pines around us (the city won't allow anyone to cut them).

Strings sales, as you might guess, will be suspended for a few days. Deliveries should resume late this week. I should get in some computer time and get a little closer to finishing the new string website. Actually I had put all that mostly aside, as in fact, I had not quite finished rebuilding from Katrina. I was doing everything I could to finish by the 7th anniversary (today), but couldn’t quite do it. At this point, I am just redoing things that weren’t done right the first time.

There were a lot of people back then doing work they had never done before, so it’s not surprising there were a lot of mistakes. Even though it has taken me 7 years to get to this point, there are a lot of folks who still take a bit of each week’s paycheck and buy a few more pieces of sheetrock. If any of them get it this time around, I just hope they’ll be in shape, both financially and spiritually to bounce back again.

Thanks again for all the kind wishes. We’re not quite out of the woods, but at the moment it feels like it could have been a lot worse.

TCK
08-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Thank god man- so glad to hear you and yours are all right, and the storm is not as bad as it seems here in California where all we get is silly little quakes (lol). Bless you and yours, and definitely let us know when you are totally out of the woods and up and running again.
Thanks for the update and we will keep sending the mojo Dirk-
Stay safe
Dave

southcoastukes
09-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Well, we didn't do great, but it could have been a lot worse. We got a big generator after Katrina, so we always had power, but phone, internet and cable were out until yesterday. We had one fair sized water oak go down, but it fell away from the house - other than that, just minor damage.

It was a close call, though. For a category 1 storm it did as much with water in our area as Katrina - meaning that it got very, very close. A lot of the houses here are elevated, but those that still aren't got flooded. Still, so much of the damage here occurs from big trees going down, and that didn't happen as much.

You would think with 40-65 mph winds it wouldn't happen at all, but the reason we had all the water is that the storm took the worst possible path for us - close, but to the west. That pushes water north from Lake Ponchartrain, and when it moves slow - slow - slow - like this one (0-5 mph) and dumps all that water for 3 straight days, 24 hours a day, there's no place for it to go! The lake (24 miles wide) is coming north - the bayous try to flow south and it all ends up in between - in other words on us! Then, when the ground is as much water as dirt, it doesn't take as much wind to push over a "floating tree".

The rebuilt levees in New Orleans and upper Jefferson and upper Saint Bernard kept things dry there - sumppump, I hope your son was inside the levees, because outside there was a lot of water!

I'm posting a few pictures I took here in the neighborhood. The first is the front yard with the water oak. The picture with my faithful canine companion, Boo, is half a block down the street (w/ Lake Ponchartrain at the end), the one with the mini-van in the distance is a block away - shot to the left toward Bayou des Coquilles, and the last one is four blocks away on the lakefront at "Donz", a favorite nieghborhood watering hole here since about 1840 (I didn't take that one).

Thanks again for all the "Thoughts an prayers". It looks like they helped!

p.s: string orders started "flowing out" again yesterday.

mm stan
09-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Aloha Dirk,
Thank you for the update and wow it still look like a lot of damage and flooding...but I am Glad to hear you are all right...and see you back....
I hope you have hurricane and flooding insurance and it must be required there....hey man, you are a wonderful, kind and generous man..
I wish you the best in rebuilding and getting back to things as normal soon as possible...wish I could do more for you in these natural disasters..
Main thing you and your family and friends are safe..God's Blessings and my prayers.... Your friend, Stan

southcoastukes
09-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Aloha Dirk,
Thank you for the update and wow it still look like a lot of damage and flooding...but I am Glad to hear you are all right...and see you back....
I hope you have hurricane and flooding insurance and it must be required there....hey man, you are a wonderful, kind and generous man..
I wish you the best in rebuilding and getting back to things as normal soon as possible...wish I could do more for you in these natural disasters..
Main thing you and your family and friends are safe..God's Blessings and my prayers.... Your friend, Stan

Many thanks, Stan -

I imagine you get this kind of thing from time to time out your way, too.

May we all stay safe!

Thanks again -

TCK
09-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Love the picture of Boo off to try and figure out what the heck Pontchartrain is doing in the middle of the block...seems you were able to dodge a bullet there, glad to here it was just minor.
My friend Johnny found his shop looking like this after the flood
He is all right, and it seems clean-up is moving along with the help of friends, but his livelihood got buried.
Can't imagine it for a second...

Plainsong
09-03-2012, 12:15 AM
It's always those big unflexing trees that you worry about. It sucks that it's gone, but at least it fell away from you. I can't believe you werent't allowed to remove the pines though! Do you have power back, or is it generator time? What a time of the year to be without power... :(

Yeah we had a mystery leak for years after our new-Hugo roof. Those dodgy post-hurricane repairs.

Glad to hear that the lake didn't rise into your home, and that you're ok. I bet this feels like you're watching a bad rerun. You've seen this one already, turn the channel. :)