Laminate Ukuleles (Kiwaya KS-1 vs Martin OXK)

delray48209

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a laminate soprano ukulele that I can take outside during football season tailgate parties. I've narrowed it down to either a Kiwaya KS-1 or the Martin OXK. I'd be delighted to hear comments and suggestions between the two. I should also mention that I already have a Flea, but I'm looking for something more traditional in shape and sound. As always, thank you in advance for your comments.

Regards,
Frank

Links worked for me. I have been thinking the same thing , Ks-1 or OXK , I like to leave a uke on the coffee table so I can grab it whenever I want. Reading about humidity problems I thought one of these would be a worry free uke. Now I've done a 180 and I'm thinking I'm just going to keep my Martin SO out on the coffee table all the time , humid or dry. If it cracks it cracks but I'm thinking it wont.
My old Gibson LG-1 was never humidified and it never cracked. All the old Martin ukes that are still around crack free were never humidified. Instead of me getting a laminate , I'm just going to leave my SO out on the table and take my chances.

Sorry about dredging up such an old thread but a was about to post this same question just before I found the thread with a Google search.

And, there wasn't a definitive answer to the OP question except maybe that a Martin SO would probably be rugged enough to survive living on the coffee table.

So here goes. Between a Martin OXK and a Kiwaya KS-1, which is a better choice for tailgate parties, travel and other stuff you may not want to use your solid wood uke for?

Sorry about dredging up such an old thread but a was about to post this same question just before I found the thread with a Google search.

And, there wasn't a definitive answer to the OP question except maybe that a Martin SO would probably be rugged enough to survive living on the coffee table.

So here goes. Between a Martin OXK and a Kiwaya KS-1, which is a better choice for tailgate parties, travel and other stuff you may not want to use your solid wood uke for?
the Kiwaya is fragile like a regular uke, where the OXK is very rugged.
Not the same tone by any means, but the outdoor uke is another option that was not available when this was first posted.

I only have experience with the oxk but I must say its a great soprano. Martin strings on it sound better than the aquillias that were installed but either way, it has great sound projection, tone and sustain. I personally like the neck being a bunch of pieces laminated together. It looks like no other. The body is alright but this thing is solid and you could beat up on it at will. Holds tune pretty well. I have 3 decent ukes and this is the one i play everyday. Build quality is superb. You cant go wrong with a new martin imo. Give it a whirl, worse that could happen is u return it. Best of luck!

the Kiwaya is fragile like a regular uke, where the OXK is very rugged.
Not the same tone by any means, but the outdoor uke is another option that was not available when this was first posted.

Thanks for responding. I would have never guessed that the Kiwaya is as fragile as a regular uke.

Lot's of great info on this site!

I only have experience with the oxk but I must say its a great soprano. Martin strings on it sound better than the aquillias that were installed but either way, it has great sound projection, tone and sustain. I personally like the neck being a bunch of pieces laminated together. It looks like no other. The body is alright but this thing is solid and you could beat up on it at will. Holds tune pretty well. I have 3 decent ukes and this is the one i play everyday. Build quality is superb. You cant go wrong with a new martin imo. Give it a whirl, worse that could happen is u return it. Best of luck!

This is the kind of feedback I was hoping to see. It's starting to tip towards the Martin OXK although the Outdoor uke is something I hadn't considered.

Thanks for posting

Take a look at a Favilla mahogany soprano. They are solid wood, and because they're vintage, they've had years in various weather and probably are pre-dinged for you. The ones made in the 1950s and 60s are rugged, and if you polish them up and put on Worth brown strings, they are very impressive, both in looks and sound.

The one I have has a repaired crack and some finish wear, and it's just great to play, with a boomy mahogany sound. It's my travel uke.
They come up for sale on ebay about once a week and, depending on condition, sell around $200-325.

Take a look at a Favilla mahogany soprano. They are solid wood, and because they're vintage, they've had years in various weather and probably are pre-dinged for you. The ones made in the 1950s and 60s are rugged, and if you polish them up and put on Worth brown strings, they are very impressive, both in looks and sound.

The one I have has a repaired crack and some finish wear, and it's just great to play, with a boomy mahogany sound. It's my travel uke.
They come up for sale on ebay about once a week and, depending on condition, sell around $200-325.

So a travel uke doesn't have to be a laminate? Interesting concept!

I've played the Martin OXK at a shop---great, classic uke sound.

I own a laminate Kiwaya KS-0P (thin body pineapple uke). It's great sounding, and it's been plenty tough to be my travel/in-the-car/take-on-a-walk uke for the past couple years.

Don't think you can miss with either uke. But remember, no uke can withstand the abuse a random drunk person can do in one second. ("Dude, can I see your little guitar for a sec? Thanks. Cool. LOOK EVERBODY, I'M THE GUY FROM THE WHO!") Maybe better to get a uke you won't miss when it's gone for tail-gating (almost always a good deal on the local craigslist).

I've got an OXK. That thing is built like a tank. Might even survive WW3! hehe

Sound is mellow and good. The uke is heavy though.

Petey

Lots of good input. Not the least is the idea of, "get a uke you won't miss when it's gone for tail-gating". (Thanks Ralf) I had a similar situation with motorcycles when I switched from a BMW to a Kawasaki. With the Kawasaki I don't worry about dings and dents as much.

Have you considered a Makala Dolphin? Properly set up they sound good and if you spill beer on it you can just wipe it down. I think they're like $50 new.

Have you considered a Makala Dolphin? Properly set up they sound good and if you spill beer on it you can just wipe it down. I think they're like $50 new.

The price is right! So right now sitting by the computer practicing chords and tryin songs on the Mainland is cool but I am a little paranoid about taking the new uke anywhere it might get bumped. That will probably wear off in time I guess.

I am a little paranoid about taking the new uke anywhere it might get bumped.

Bump it right there, then take it for a walk.

Not sure what's your definition of a "beater" uke. :p

I've got a laminate (not the expensive ones like the Kiwaya and Martin) and I'm afraid of bringing it out where people can slam it around or drop it. Or crushing it when I go hiking. Or dropping into the sea. So I'm seriously considering the ODU when it comes back in stock (new headstock logo!) since I quite enjoy its abuse thread, haha~

The ODU is back in stock, according to their FB post. The new ones have the headstock logo and D'Addario titanium strings.

I dont know if the sound will be quite what you are looking fot, even though i cant imagine a better sounding $50 uke, but my Makala dolphin can stay in my hot/cold car for weeks and only sounds better and better. and no buzzing absolutely anywhere (bought from uke republic - reccomended for setup)

Top Bottom