What are truly the BEST, darkest, prettiest sounding strings for my Mahalo Sop. Uke??

Chase

Reaction score
Hey everybody!

I've had my Mahalo Soprano Ukulele for a little under 4 months, and I am really tired of the twangy, bright, and OUT OF TUNE sound the strings have!

Do any of you know what the darkest, nicest, roundest, etc... strings are that I could purchase for my instrument???

Anything helps!

try either D'addario concert strings (yes you can use concert size strings on a soprano, and you can buy them here on the UU store), or some Worth browns. I have some D'addario strings myself and i love them because of the mellower sound than other strings i have experimented with. I have heard the Worth browns are pretty mellow sounding but I have no first hand experience with them. I would go with D'addario.

I'm sorry, this is too tempting - its not the strings.

Sorry, but he is right.

You simply cannot buy $10 and expect a $25 dollar uke to sound good.

You really should upgrade the uke. If that is not an option though, I'd suggest Aquila strings. They seem to make worse ukes sound better. :D

Sorry, but he is right.

You simply cannot buy $10 and expect a $25 dollar uke to sound good.

You really should upgrade the uke. If that is not an option though, I'd suggest Aquila strings. They seem to make worse ukes sound better. :D

yeah yeah i know.....I bought this beginner ukulele for around $45 in a guitar shop in Florida. It isnt just a piece of crap, but again you guys are right when you say it is most definitely NOT an amazing one. For right now, i cant really afford to whip $100+ out of my pocket for a nice tenor uke (which is what i hope to get in the future).....that will take alot of saving and time...hahahaha

so for now, i just want to upgrade some nicer strings onto the instrument.....i've read some articles that say even that can help out the sound alot

yeah yeah i know.....I bought this beginner ukulele for around $45 in a guitar shop in Florida. It isnt just a piece of crap, but again you guys are right when you say it is most definitely NOT an amazing one. For right now, i cant really afford to whip $100+ out of my pocket for a nice tenor uke (which is what i hope to get in the future).....that will take alot of saving and time...hahahaha

so for now, i just want to upgrade some nicer strings onto the instrument.....i've read some articles that say even that can help out the sound alot

The upgrade to Aquila's will be very noticeable. I have a Lanakai LU-21 Soprano that I wouldn't call a great uke, but with the Aquila's on it, it sure sounds better.

If I sounded like I was mean, I didn't mean to be! :D I am just trying to let you know that no matter what kind of strings you put on it, it will still sound like a cheaper end uke.

These guys (another Forum) are in love with the Mahalo, after reading this it makes me want to go out and buy one, just so I can join the Yellow Mahalo Club!!!!

http://ukulelecosmos.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9060&sid=6f328a1b38227ee32ddf4a8c45667828

The store where I get my Uke's has a yellow one and I have even played it a few times, my Uke guy said if I do it to put Aquilla Concert strings on it.

Even a stock Mahalo sounds better than the Rouge Soprano a friend gave me and they cost more!!!

Last edited:
Well that's just because Rogue ANYTHING is completely awful. Very inexpensive, you get what you pay for.

I'd like to try a Mahalo and see what all the stink is about. They have some crazy ones at a local store.. even some shaped like V guitars.

kind of like lipstick on a pig isn't it?

picture.php

The upgrade to Aquila's will be very noticeable. I have a Lanakai LU-21 Soprano that I wouldn't call a great uke, but with the Aquila's on it, it sure sounds better.

If I sounded like I was mean, I didn't mean to be! :D I am just trying to let you know that no matter what kind of strings you put on it, it will still sound like a cheaper end uke.

haha, no no, you werent bein mean at all, i was just trying to build the little uke up a bit cuz i do personally want a better one, but i havent tried a better one yet, so i dont have a real feel for a good one...

the Aquila strings are sounding really tempting, thanks for all the advice!:)

p.s. are the Aquila strings metal-wound and such? clear nylon? i havent heard a lot about them.....and whether or not they will warp my Mahalo outta shape...hahaha ;)

if they arent over-priced or anything, im definitely interested

p.s. are the Aquila strings metal-wound and such? clear nylon? i havent heard a lot about them.....and whether or not they will warp my Mahalo outta shape...hahaha ;)

Just buy a set and find out.

The flying V ones are bastards, because there's no sensible way to hold them. The Les Paul and Tele ones are actually pretty reasonable. The real cheapo ones, standard soprano shape, are better than you'd expect. I have a purple one, and it doesn't sound half bad (and yes, I've played a number of good ukes - this one gets nowhere near, but is MUCH better than other cheapies I've tried). I had to file the bridge on mine to get the intonation bearable (still not good though), but I understand they're patchy, and the good ones intonate perfectly. Try before you buy, and try to get one with the geared tuners (which is how they're making them now), because the friction tuners really are the worst you could imagine. I was disappointed with mine, til I took the needle files to it, and put on Ko'olau Gold strings. Now, it seems to me worth the £13 I paid for it, and when I do get a better uke, it can become my car uke. It lives on my desk next to my computer (on top of a big pile of crap!), so when I get bored and want a break, it's right there.

No, they're not metal wound. No soprano strings will bend your soprano out of shape. Don't worry - they're called Nylgut - it's a plastic that's supposed to replicate gut. I've no idea if it does, but they're good.

No, they're not metal wound. No soprano strings will bend your soprano out of shape. Don't worry - they're called Nylgut - it's a plastic that's supposed to replicate gut. I've no idea if it does, but they're good.

thanks for your help! I'm going with the Aquila Concert NYLGUTs.......i've read several reviews and heard a few samples, and they sound pretty good!

Thanks to everybody for the advice!:D

Top Bottom