Aquila Red Low G

frets alot

Reaction score
I realize there was a recent post about the Aquila Red Low G, but it was centered on the fact that it had broken for the OP. I just put one on my Kala Solid Acacia Tenor a few days ago and am really enjoying it. Boy, though, does it s..t..r..e..t..c..h, or what? I had no slack in it when I put it on, and it was completely wound around the post by the time it settled in. So, I loosened it, cut off 3 inches of extra string, and tuned it back up. Now I have the normal 3-4 winds on the post. The string feels and sounds good. I'm a fingerstyle player primarily, and I really like the sound of the low G. I'm able to keep the melody going on some songs when it goes to the 4th string. I left my other tenor with re-entrant tuning, which I like, too. So, I think I'll play with this one some more and see if I continue to like it as much as I do now. I sure hope I don't pop the string like others have, but time will tell. It reminds me of the red shoelace licorice that we used to eat when I was a kid....(kind of stupid, huh?). Anyway, just wanted to give my $.02 worth and see what others like/dislike about the new Aquila Red Low G.

BTW, thanks to all of you who responded to my previous post about changing out JUST the G string. Your suggestions helped a lot. I have many instruments with steel strings....so changing strings isn't new to me, but changing strings on a uke is. It was pretty easy. Now, I have my confidence about it and am all set.

Last edited:
I'm a lover for the Aquila reds too! It's cool that you were able to cut the stretched out parts without it snapping, I tried that on my baritone and it snapped after an hour, fingers crossed that it doesn't happen for you though.

I'm a lover for the Aquila reds too! It's cool that you were able to cut the stretched out parts without it snapping, I tried that on my baritone and it snapped after an hour, fingers crossed that it doesn't happen for you though.

What would be the reason for it snapping....just cutting off extra string? I'll keep my fingers crossed (but not while I'm playing). I didn't think it would be a bad thing to do, nor that it would affect the integrity of the string. But, maybe I was wrong.

I'm on my second Red G at the moment. My first one ended up wrapped so many times it looked like a stack of cinnamon rolls, but it held just fine. Several weeks went by and I decided to unwind it, trim the excess, and re-string. It snapped within a day. My current one looks like a lumpy mess around the peg but I am NOT going to trim it. My Red C at the moment is also holding decently well... *knocks on wood* ...and once either of them go pop I'm gonna go high G, I think.

ok, from what it sounds like, I may be dealing with a broken Aquila Red Low G in my future :(. In that case, if I want an unwound low G that will go with my Aquila's, what would all of you recommend? Fremont clear? Fremont Blackline? Other?

ok, from what it sounds like, I may be dealing with a broken Aquila Red Low G in my future :(. In that case, if I want an unwound low G that will go with my Aquila's, what would all of you recommend? Fremont clear? Fremont Blackline? Other?

If you like the red Aquila, why wouldn't you replace it with another one when it wears out?
Strings are supposed to last forever?
The price of a cup of coffee every few months doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Low G players should carry spares, it comes with the territory.
Especially if your the type who "frets a lot." ;)

I have a set of fat high-tension Worth clears on one tenor with a "extra-fat" low G 1.10 mm.
It will probably never wear out, but it sounds "dead" compared to a wound or a red.
Demonstrating once again that most choices in life are a trade-off.

I'm on my second Red G at the moment. My first one ended up wrapped so many times it looked like a stack of cinnamon rolls, but it held just fine. Several weeks went by and I decided to unwind it, trim the excess, and re-string. It snapped within a day. My current one looks like a lumpy mess around the peg but I am NOT going to trim it.

So you don't own a capo or saw no merit in the "best practice" I shared below to mitigate the above problem?
Others have found it useful, I believe.

A suggestion for installing red strings:
Pre-stretch the string, then use a capo to clamp it at the second fret.

That allows you to use both hands to thread the string and take out most of the slack.
You should end up with the recommended three or four wraps on the peg when tuned up to pitch.

If you like the red Aquila, why wouldn't you replace it with another one when it wears out?
Strings are supposed to last forever?
The price of a cup of coffee every few months doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

As you can see from my signature, I know strings don't last forever. It just sounded like folks with the Aquila Red Low G were experiencing above average breaks....so, if I wanted to try something else, if I too get a premature break, I was just seeing what other low G's people recommended. That's all. If my string lasts for a reasonable period, I'll probably stick with it, because I really do like it.

I haven't tried one yet but it seems that all the breakage has been caused by folks NOT pre-stretching the string, ending up with too many wraps around the tuner post, and starting over again with some of the excess trimmed off. Obviously the Aquila Red "G" doesn't like this, huh?

Jimmy

I have to be honest, and say that in 35+ years of playing stringed instruments (46 if you include Violin at the age of 4), I have never come across such a ridiculous set of requirements for stringing an instrument.

If you have to jump through these hoops to fit one string, something is seriously wrong with the chemical composition or manufacturing process. I appreciate what Aquila were trying to achieve, and I applaud them for their efforts, but I think the drawing board is beckoning them back.

Fasten it to the bridge, 3 turns around the post and you're done (apart from some almost unmeasurable stretching). That should be it for any string on any instrument..

BK, I was thinking the same thing. I've been playing stringed instruments for 39 years.

Well, I do like the string and will give it the benefit of the doubt and see what happens. So far, it is holding it's own. But, like I said before, if it's going to a problem, I'll look for another unwound low G and get recommendations from fellow UU'ers on what to try.

Top Bottom