Mystery Uke

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm going to go see an unnamed uke from a violin shop estate sale. The person that is describing it is a well known and respected local luthier . He is helping out the family of the violin shops owner

"There is also a tiny 20's no name ukulele with brazilian rosewood sides and back and a spruce top that sounds amazing.
Its got a bit of marquetry."

Without photos, any ideas on how to identify this piece? What should I be looking for?

I'm going to go see an unnamed uke from a violin shop estate sale. The person that is describing it is a well known and respected local luthier . He is helping out the family of the violin shops owner

"There is also a tiny 20's no name ukulele with brazilian rosewood sides and back and a spruce top that sounds amazing.
Its got a bit of marquetry."

Without photos, any ideas on how to identify this piece? What should I be looking for?

I look at a few places for markings.
Neck Block, head stock (Both front and back), label on the inside.
Sometimes it is things like an inlay on the headstock, or a raised ring around the soundhole that can tell you.
pics help a lot

Probably is a Regal, but... ask Chuck “Frets” Fayne here:

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/uke-yak/default.asp

Include your photos & any details you picked up from the luthier.. Looks like its in great shape. Depending on price, I'd jump on it.

Mahalo!

Brazillian rosewood? Spruce top? :drool: I'd buy that in a heartbeart, I think the star on the headstock is associated with Regal but don't hold me to it. It looks like it's late 1920s.

I still haven't been able to identify this uke. Anyone recognize the unusual fret board dots or the way the bridge is slotted?
It sounds very nice. I think its highly unusual to find a Brazilian Rosewood body with spruce top soprano in this era.

no expert here but I'm guessing that's a regal. i had one from the 20's...identical bridge, body shape, rope purfling, fretboard shape and binding. Looks awesome. Perhaps one of their custom shop models from that time.

I wouldn't be trying to identify it from pictures. I'd identify it after buying it. Pretty little thing.

I still haven't been able to identify this uke. Anyone recognize the unusual fret board dots or the way the bridge is slotted?
It sounds very nice. I think its highly unusual to find a Brazilian Rosewood body with spruce top soprano in this era.

I agree that you don't see a lot of Brazilian Rosewood ukes, but keep in mind that Brazilian was just another tonewood back then. It is a beauty-- I doubt I could walk away from it.

Last edited:
One fellow emailed me that he thought it was built by a 1920's Chicago area luthier named John Abbott (not either of the London John Abbott's). He thought that at one time he had seen it in the collection of Mike Longworth.

With the first set of photos, Chuck Fayne responded "It sure is a nicely made instrument. It is definitely mainland made, as the heel cap is separate from the back. The shape is that of a regal, the tuners are similar if not the same as the Gibson tuners the trim on the back looks Martinesque, however it is none of these. This ukulele will fall into the category of don't know..." I sent him the second set of photos yesterday but have not heard back from him yet. I imagine he'll respond within a week or so.

I did purchase this uke and plan to present it as a gift to someone I know. I would like to be able to give him whatever historical information I can gather at the same time.

Last edited:
When I bought this uke, the shop also had a Turturro Peanut Ukulele. If anyone is interested in the Peanut, I can get some photos of it.

That star is awfully familiar - maybe from a banjo? - maybe an S.S. Stewart? - Lyon & Healy?

Last edited:
That is a sweet little uke, wow, rosewood and a spruce top, binding, rosette, inlay, sheesh. That must be someone important if you are willing to give that away, are you proposing maybe? :D

That is a pretty little ukulele, indeed. Whoever gets it will be happy as a clam.

I haven't a clue in heck what it is, though. Nice mystery ukulele. If it is a Regal, as many have opined, have you Googled Regal ukulele collectors. Bet there's a couple out there, not likely on UU, that may know right away

Cheers!

"That star is awfully familiar - maybe from a banjo? - maybe an S.S. Stewart? - Lyon & Healy?
Last edited by southcoastukes; Yesterday at 10:15 PM."

I've seen photos of older Vega banjo's with the star. Others have told me the star is "a Chicago thing" though I haven't seen photos of ukes bearing it.

Last edited:
That is a pretty little ukulele, indeed. Whoever gets it will be happy as a clam.

I haven't a clue in heck what it is, though. Nice mystery ukulele. If it is a Regal, as many have opined, have you Googled Regal ukulele collectors. Bet there's a couple out there, not likely on UU, that may know right away

Cheers!

Several people have suggested contactating Chuck Fayne. He said he didn't think it was a Regal, Gibson or Martin but that it had characteristicsa from all three. I sent him additional photos hoping the closeup of the fret marker buttons would tell him something.

Several people have suggested contactating Chuck Fayne. He said he didn't think it was a Regal, Gibson or Martin but that it had characteristicsa from all three. I sent him additional photos hoping the closeup of the fret marker buttons would tell him something.
He didn't think it was even a Regal? Well, that makes it quite interesting, indeed. ( scratches head, raises eyebrows, rubs chin, and shrugs shoulders).

Good research on your end.

Top Bottom