PDA

View Full Version : "My Baby Just Cares For Me"

Hippie Dribble
08-29-2012, 04:09 AM
1930. Gus Kahn; Walter Donaldson.

wonderful jazz standard that became the great Nina Simone's signature song. (apologies for the truck noises...mum and dad live on a highway and barely a minute passes when the log trucks don't roll by)

recorded on an ohana sopranino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv2EdP2Umx4

with much appreciation to ukesterbrown for the chord transcript and his beautiful rendition. Thanks for taking a look gang. :)

roxhum
08-29-2012, 04:18 AM
Jon what can ya say that hasn't already been said before? You are my uu idol. You are #1. Your choice of songs, playing, singing and delivery never disappoints and always delivers top entertainment and inspiration. You make your music seem effortless and smooth and fun. And now I think I need a little bambino ukulele.

v30
08-29-2012, 04:22 AM
Excellent as usual. Great vocals, picking and sliding too. Boy it must feel strange putting down a baritone and picking up a sopranino?

Hippie Dribble
08-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Jon what can ya say that hasn't already been said before? You are my uu idol. You are #1. Your choice of songs, playing, singing and delivery never disappoints and always delivers top entertainment and inspiration. You make your music seem effortless and smooth and fun. And now I think I need a little bambino ukulele.

gee thanks Rox, that's so sweet of you to say these things mate. I appreciate it very much my friend. And yep, you need one of them little baby's for sure. so much fun. it actually fits in my jacket pocket so no excuses for not taking it everywhere. Was funny yesterday, we took Zackie down to the local park and there were heaps of little munckins there...they were totally fascinated with the baby uke, we had a ball. :)

mm stan
08-29-2012, 04:28 AM
Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Wow another hit mate..this one is real nice.....loved it...it's that your famous Pono...thought you sold dat one...what truck??? was too exciting your playing..LOL
keep them coming, my friend .....wow a new look too...Happy Strummings..

Hippie Dribble
08-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Excellent as usual. Great vocals, picking and sliding too. Boy it must feel strange putting down a baritone and picking up a sopranino?

ha ha, cheers brother. Sure does feel weird. Just been at my mum and dad's for a couple of days...I took down this one and the baritone...very different instruments no doubt. Had them sitting next to each other in the loungeroom and it did make my daughter laugh to see them side by side. Talk about the long and the short of it... :)

Hippie Dribble
08-29-2012, 04:31 AM
Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Wow another hit mate..this one is nice.....loved it...it's that your famous Pono...thought you sold dat one...
keep them coming, my friend .....wow a new look too...Happy Strummings..

thanks Bruddah! No this one is the little ohana sopranino I told you about...looks a bit bigger than it is in the video i think because of the weird camera angle. Takes some playing though cause of the small frets...them dang diminished chords and some of the 7th are a bit harsh...he he. Thanks for watching mate and the nice comment. :)

Kauai808
08-29-2012, 08:14 AM
you have the perfect voice for these old school jazz songs. appreciate you sharing with us

23skidoo
08-29-2012, 09:04 AM
dig it, Jon - another beauty, man.....

barefootgypsy
08-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Oh beautiful, another first class performance! Jon you are the Real Deal - love the songs, love the music, love the way you do it- keep doin' whatcha do do ......oh yeah; oop di-do, wanna be like you hoo hoo....... and have a great time chez Mom and Dad....:D

ukuleledaveey
08-29-2012, 11:06 AM
well what cqan i say that hasnt already been said :rolleyes: absolutely gorgeous tune mate and the ohana sounds really nice, what tuning is it on the sopranino ? and yeah it does look quite large in the video (the uke ):o it looks bigger than my kala pocket uke, i quite fancy one of those ohana sopranino's im not to impressed with the sound of the kala i have the acacia one it looks nice but a expensive ornament.
Anyway loved your song mate and keep them coming, good to hear your having a good time with the folks, all the best from me

Newportlocal
08-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Great job as usual. Thanks for posting it.

Canoe Lady
08-29-2012, 07:45 PM
What, you shaved for your mom? Nice.
Anyway, I agree with everyone else...you just "gots" it.