Kamaka Concert, or Concert Long Neck

lennymac

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about a month away from ordering a 'special' from kamaka, and will be buying a concert with ebony headstock plate, ebony fretboard and ebony bridge, prem 3a koa body and abalone markers - however I can't decide whether t go for the standard concert or the long neck concert.

Being in Scotland I have not had a chance to play either - so am looking for some advice from you guys who have the privilege of owning/playing Kamaka ukes!

I like the idea of the extra space for fretting on the long neck model - but I prefer the aesthetics of the friction tuners in the standard. I have no idea in the difference I sound - is the long neck louder?

Thanks in advance!

Ross

Never played a Kamaka super concert. But here's a very nice Special HF-2.

HF2-16.jpg

I don't know much about super concerts, but is it on a tenor scale?

Now that is a LOVELY uke!

The super concert is on a tenor scale I think - 17 inches, so the tension will be higher. I can't find much on them online. If only I had the money for a trip to Hawaii to play some - although the cost of the trip would mean I couldn't afford the uke!

I have a tenor necked soprano KoAloha because I prefer the tenor scale to the soprano scale.

Although the tension is, indeed, more on longer strings, I have noted no bellying or dishing of the soundboard on the Koaloha at the bridge.

Mine is not louder than a soprano, but the sustain is much better on the longer neck (than my short neck sopranos) and the fretting up higher (e.g. eleventh fret) gives a much more pleasant tone on the longer necked ukulele.

I assume you'd have similar findings on your concert-neck concert versus tenor-neck concert experience.

G'luck with your Kamaka

Last edited:
Wow, I've just seen the KoAloha soprano with the tenor neck on theukulelesite.com - looks and sounds great!

Thanks for the info on volume, tone and sustain - this will certainly help inform my decision!

I just purchased a Kamaka HF-2 concert uke and I really love it. Personally, I prefer the concert scale over the tenor scale, mainly because it fits my hand better. I can play tenor, but some of the stretches I have to make are more easily done on the concert. If the tenor fits your hands better, then the concert with the extended neck might be a good way to go. Kamaka builds some nice instruments, so you wouldn't go wrong with one of their instruments.

I have both HF-2 and a special long-neck version and I love both. Can't tell you which you should go, but trust your own feeling: If you feel more comfortable to play in tenor scale then go for long-neck one. Other than that, kamaka concert is nice to hold and smooth to play.

Hi Ross,
I was faced with the same decision a few years back,
after lots of fact finding, phone calls, and self examination.
I went for the concert uke with regular neck.
Here's my H2-S
005-4.jpg

018-2.jpg

I believe the long neck Kamaka HF2 has the standard headstock and guitar type tuners.

I can play tenor, but some of the stretches I have to make are more easily done on the concert.
This is the issue..Having bought dozens of ukes I finally settled with an HF-2 for the "Easy way out" with chord fingerings, my recommendation since your buying a custom uke aka long term investment(not one to be replaced like a production model), go with the HF2L tenor neck.

1)Having now played my HF-2 for quite some time with muscle memory setting in I have no more issues chording the difference between concert/tenor scale and rather the shorter neck makes both hands play cramped inwards(specifically the left one bracing the neck). Whereas If I bought the Hf-2L longneck the spot where you hold the neck extends further to the left and is less cramped.
2)Also you'll find once the muscle memory kicks in some chords still are just a bit much of a tite squeeze on concert whereas when you play on tenor scale all notes ring clean(try and squeeze 3 fingers on same fret 3rd fret and see).
3)The HF-2 no-ear friction tuners may please your aesthetic value but they absolutely are not worth the practical value, the slightest touch will make them tune 1/4th or more flat/sharp/cents causing trouble with all tuners clip-on or not(even messing up my built in ear-drum tuner lol) whereas the HF-2L's german geared tuners will tune any way ez-pz. Or have them custom install micro geared Peg-Heads if you must keep the no-ear look at least they're 4x1 geared

Last edited:
This is insightful and candid, KD. Most people simply say what they bought is right and that's that. You, on the other hand, look at your purchase over time, assess it truly, and give OP some tried-and-true advice.

I raise my beer to you. And, in transitioning from a concert to a tenor size over the past year myself, I agree with you. I always point out to people, Jake S plays a tenor scale, with the wildest stretches on earth, despite his diminutive fingers. Brittni, tenor. And on and on.

This is the issue..Having bought dozens of ukes I finally settled with an HF-2 for the "Easy way out" with chord fingerings, my recommendation since your buying a custom uke aka long term investment(not one to be replaced like a production model), go with the HF2L tenor neck. Having now played my HF-2 for quite some time with muscle memory setting in I have no more issues chording the difference between concert/tenor scale and rather the shorter neck makes both hands play cramped inwards(specifically the left one bracing the neck), Whereas If I bought the Hf-2L longneck the spot where you hold the neck extends further to the left and is less cramped. Also you'll find once the muscle memory kicks in some chords are just a bit much of a tite squeeze on concert whereas when you play on tenor scale all notes ring clean.

Cheers :cheers: you caught me a little late but I raise my glass of water to you now. I even went back and gave some more points I forgot to mention ;)

Just hoping people out there will learn from my trial and error..

Guys, thanks for the help, what a wonderful, friendly and helpful forum!

Think I'm erring towards the long neck!

I'll be sure to repost when I make my order and when the uke eventually arrives!!

Top Bottom