New strings for concert Kanile'a?

Lideruke

Reaction score
I recently purchased a concert Kanile'a but need to get new strings for it. It has stock Aquila. I know they've switched recently to D'addario, but is this the best match?
What are your opinions and why?

Thanks

If you like more mellow tones, the Worth browns are not bad. My favorite on my Kanilea are either Living Water or PhD, as both bring a bit more volume, brightness and clarity to that uke's tones.

Give a shot to flurocarbon strings (Worth, Martin, Fremont, etc). To me, they bring out a lot more clarity and can sustain notes very well. Typically fluorocarbon strings aren't as mellow as Aquilas and also feel thinner.

I should have specified that I like a brighter sound with greater clarity and sustain. And volume. I like em loud!
But also as traditional-sounding as possible. I have a concert Koaloha with Worths that I love the sound of. So something close to that but also different would be great! :p

I use Southcoast Mediums on my Kanile'a concert K-1: a great sound and match. Recommended.

I loooooove the t2s on my superconcert. I tried them on a Koaloha concert and liked em there too although I was expecting they'd be too bright for that uke. The t2s feel like they're made for that uke and how I play it.

I like Ko'olau Alohis.

I have a set of these on my Pono concert....love'm...great balanced sound. Which D'Addarios? They make a fluorocarbon....Nyltechs.

Are they a fluorocarbon? The t2s don't feel like or sound like it. They sound like a very excellent nylon. I can't find anything in their product descriptions about fluorocarbon in any of their strings, but is that just splitting hairs and it is just fluorocarbon?

I have a set of these on my Pono concert....love'm...great balanced sound. Which D'Addarios? They make a fluorocarbon....Nyltechs.

I thought MGM said that Kanile'a was going to switch to Nyltech strings by D'Addario.

BTW I got the Nyltechs on my Pono MC , and while I'm pretty sure they are not the perfect strings for it, they sound good.

I put Martin fluorocarbons on mine after the Aquila's. Noticeably brighter. Not really what I was going for but sounds like it might be something for you to consider. Still playing them, hardly broken in yet. I like to give them enough time to tell me what they can really do.

I have Fremont Blacklines on my Kanilea Super Concert. Like them alot. However, the Southcoast strings are great, too, and Dirk has more choices for a variety of tunings.

If you like more mellow tones, the Worth browns are not bad. My favorite on my Kanilea are either Living Water or PhD, as both bring a bit more volume, brightness and clarity to that uke's tones.
Do, please, try Ken Middleton's Living Water Strings, 100% fluorocarbon, from his website. They really do give a beautiful sound!

I should have specified that I like a brighter sound with greater clarity and sustain. And volume. I like em loud!
But also as traditional-sounding as possible. I have a concert Koaloha with Worths that I love the sound of. So something close to that but also different would be great! :p
Aquilas for you! Anything else will disappoint you.

Thanks everyone!
I wound up contacting Kanile'a and told them the issues I'm having (C string buzzing and next to no sustain) so they're sending a couple sets of strings for me to check out.

@stevepetergal: I normally really like Aquilas. They sound amazing on my Ohana cedar top concert. But on this Kanile'a, they just don't sound very good.
@mm stan: I don't know if high tension is maybe the issue already! The aquilas are tighter than the strings on any of my other ukes, including the aquilas on my Mainland soprano and Ohana concert.

I guess I'll just see what happens!

T2s are brighter than Aquilas, but the C string is I think thinker. If the Aquila c string buzzes, the t2 will probably buzz as well. I've not had a problem trying a variety of string sets on mine with buzzing. It might be an issue independent of strings.

T2s are brighter than Aquilas, but the C string is I think thinker. If the Aquila c string buzzes, the t2 will probably buzz as well. I've not had a problem trying a variety of string sets on mine with buzzing. It might be an issue independent of strings.

I imagine this is probably the case. I would like to try switching out the strings to see if that takes care of the problem. Otherwise, I'll have to fork over some $$ to ship the uke back to Kanile'a.

Top Bottom