Happy 2nd Ukeiversary, Joey!

joeybug

Reaction score
Hi everyone :D

This time two years ago, I had no idea that the next day (August 31st) I was going to go into town and buy a purple Ukulele (Astrid) that would change so much of my life! Yes, it's been two years almost, well the official Ukieversary is tomorrow, but I wasn't sure if I would have time to post and didn't want to miss it!

So, what have I achieved in two years of Ukulele playing? Well, I now have eight Ukuleles, and barely play Astrid any more - mostly because of a fret buzz that I can't seem to fix no matter what I try. Yet, I can't get rid of her because she is the one that started it all. I started this blog in January 2011 and had been playing at that point for four and a bit months and had four Ukuleles - hence the name! I've since doubled that number and have an idea what I would like for numbers #9 & #10, though I won't share them here!

I have managed to learn so much about the wonderful ukulele, I have done numerous UU+ classes, had a free lesson or two from Ukulele teachers and have made a huge number of friends. In the last year, I have released a single - thanks to my friend, Kim and her husband, Anders working flat out to make my mess of chords into something recognisable and wonderful! I have finished learning every song in the book "The Daily Ukulele" and anxiously await book two where I plan to do the same thing again :D

A while back, in the early days of my playing, I did a "Ten reasons to play Ukulele" and thought that for my Ukeiversary, I would repeat that with some more personal reasons for me and why I continue to play!

TEN REASONS TO PLAY UKULELE​

1. FUN - I have had so much fun over the past two years, it's such a great little instrument that seems to always bring a smile to my face and I very rarely get frustrated when learning even the hardest songs.
2. FRIENDS - I have made so many good friends and it seems to be that no matter where you are in the world, the Ukulele will break down language barriers and bring the most loving people into your life.
3. PAIN RELIEF - As some of you know, I have Fibromyalgia which causes me a lot of pain, I worried at times that it would inhibit my ability to play, but so far it doesn't matter how much pain I am in, I am able to do something with the Ukulele that will bring a smile and some relief to me.
4. UAS - People joke about their being an "Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome" and that once you buy one, you get hooked into buying more. I agree that there could be a basis for this, but to be honest, every Ukulele I own sounds different and I like it that way, so for me, UAS, isn't a negative. If I don't have the funds, I don't buy! Plus there's nothing like the wait to get your Ukulele shaped parcel and open it!
5. FLEXIBILITY - The Ukulele is portable, you can buy ones small and sturdy enough to carry anywhere, you can buy ones that are large or small, buy ones that can be silent or loud and the flexibility of it allows you to take it anywhere (within reason) and play, whether it's the middle of the night or day, you can have it on headphones or blasting through an amp, it's flexible to suit your needs.
6. SOUND - The Ukulele sounds very unique, like I said, all eight of mine have different sounds - be that because they are different shapes or models, different tone woods. Solid or laminate or plastic or a mixture of all three.
7. COMMUNITY - The Ukulele community is by far, one of the friendliest and accepting of any I have been a part of. There are bad apples, but that's normal. The majority of people who are part of this worldwide community are there, willing to help and happy to see someone else be bitten by the Ukulele bug!
8. ADDICTIVENESS - I have yet to meet anyone who had a serious go at the Ukulele and wasn't bitten by the bug, people go from being a one instrument player, such as a guitar and are then interested in the Uke and suddenly, it's the only thing they can talk about.
9. EASE OF LEARNING - I used to play Oboe before my lungs put a stop to that, then I dabbled with Viola and when I left school pretty much stopped playing an instrument, until I picked up the Ukulele. It was so easy to learn the chords, the fingerings. I struggled with the strumming (mostly the up), but it didn't stop me from moving forward with my playing.
10. UKULELE "CRAZE" - At this point in time, with the internet making things a whole lot easier, the Ukulele is going through a craze. People are becoming more drawn to it because of some of the points I've made and from there become serious players. Others have always been playing (Hawai'i I'm looking at you!) and there has even been talk in the UK of swapping the recorder for the Ukulele. A move I approve wholeheartedly!

So, there you have it, ten reasons why I play Ukulele and why I think you should too! It's been a great two years and I can see myself in another year or two feeling the same way. Especially now that I have the band - The Rocking Dodars - and a group of friends who have helped me along the way!

So thanks for all the help, support, encouragement and down right awesomeness! Here's to another two years!​

Joey if I could give you a hug right now I wouldn't let go. Mate, you are an inspiration and a big reason why I love this place so much. Just love all those reasons...hey, maybe that's another thread we can get going and build on those .

here's to another two..eh...and the bloomin rest. love ya mate. in your own words sista...

GET :music:

:)

Happy Second Joey. Wow, a lot can happen in a span of 2 years. I would personally like to thank astrid for infecting you with the uke bug!

Lets see what the next 2 years can bring:)

Indeed, Joey. Happy Ukeanniversay!

I'll hit two years around Thanksgiving, and I think I'm a better ukulele player than I was a guitar player after 40 years - plus I understand a lot more about music and musical theory than I did then.

Still can't read music or tabs, but I've got a decent ear...(g)

Keep your health up, my dear, and I look forward to more videos in the future!

-Kurt​

Aloha Joey,
It's me....tee heee Congrats on your Two year anniversary and most wonderful inspiring post.... Yes you have made UU so wonderful to be at, and your positive vibes and playing...
I enjoy every video and post you do....You keep on going and Way to go Girl....So happy for ya...Hope you celebrate good today and play the heck outta your ukes..Happy Strummings
Your friend, Stan Take Care and God's Blessings....

Congrats Joey, I'm just so darned glad those ukes, and your friends here on UU bring so much happiness into your life. Some of us learned to do that from you baby girl.
Hugs to you.

:smileybounce:

Happy Anniversay, Joey! You are such an inspiration, and I really enjoyed your "Ten Reasons".

Joey if I could give you a hug right now I wouldn't let go. Mate, you are an inspiration and a big reason why I love this place so much. Just love all those reasons...hey, maybe that's another thread we can get going and build on those .

here's to another two..eh...and the bloomin rest. love ya mate. in your own words sista...

GET :music:

Thanks Jon, I take your hug and run away with it! It's been a while since I had a proper hug in person, mostly coz I'm flaring and they hurt, but cyber ones don't!

Happy Second Joey. Wow, a lot can happen in a span of 2 years. I would personally like to thank astrid for infecting you with the uke bug!

Lets see what the next 2 years can bring:)

Astrid appreciates the thanks! And yup, next two years are gonna be B-I-G!

Happy 2nd year anniversary, Joey.

Thanks!

Indeed, Joey. Happy Ukeanniversay!

I'll hit two years around Thanksgiving, and I think I'm a better ukulele player than I was a guitar player after 40 years - plus I understand a lot more about music and musical theory than I did then.

Still can't read music or tabs, but I've got a decent ear...(g)

Keep your health up, my dear, and I look forward to more videos in the future!

-Kurt​

I shall get on making some new videos, haven't had time this week, but I will get some done soon, as soon as they release DU2 I'll be on those too!

Aloha Joey,
It's me....tee heee Congrats on your Two year anniversary and most wonderful inspiring post.... Yes you have made UU so wonderful to be at, and your positive vibes and playing...
I enjoy every video and post you do....You keep on going and Way to go Girl....So happy for ya...Hope you celebrate good today and play the heck outta your ukes..Happy Strummings
Your friend, Stan Take Care and God's Blessings....

I plan to spend tomorrow (which is the actual Ukeiversary!) playing every Uke I have - even Astrid!

Congrats Joey, I'm just so darned glad those ukes, and your friends here on UU bring so much happiness into your life. Some of us learned to do that from you baby girl.
Hugs to you.

Thanks Phil, I'm so lucky to have found such good friends :D

Happy Anniversay, Joey! You are such an inspiration, and I really enjoyed your "Ten Reasons".

Thanks, I really enjoyed thinking them up too!

Happy 2nd anniversary to you!!! :eek: More and more and more uke anniversaries to come!
Loved the "ten reasons"!

Happy Ukeiversary, Joey! I love your 10 Reasons and all of your posts. Thank you being such a ray of sunshine in the UU forums. :hug:

Aloha Joey,
To many people, JAKE is the VOICE of the ukulele, well my dear, YOU are the HEART of it.
Happy 2nd Ukeversary and wishing for many more........................................BO.............................

That was a great post, Joey! I think it helps to be reminded once in a while why we love the things we love, and to remember not to take the things we love for granted. Although this is your ukeiversary and your list of the things you love about the ukulele is personal to you, we all probably remember the day we picked up our first ukulele, and I think some, if not all, of your reasons for loving the ukulele speak to all of us. My third ukeiversary is in late October, just a week after one of my Hawaiian music classes and I perform at the Maui Ukulele Festival. Thanks for the opportunity you've given us all to reflect on how our own lives have changed since we became ukulele players! Happy second ukeiversary and continue to enjoy the ride!

Happy anniversary Joey! I love the enthusiasm you bring to UU. Keep on rockin' them ukes!

Happy Ukiversary, Joey! Somewhere around now is my 2 year ukiversary too! I don't have the date... at least I remember my wedding anniversary.

Happy 2nd anniversary to you!!! :eek: More and more and more uke anniversaries to come!
Loved the "ten reasons"!

Thanks, I struggled to narrow it down to just ten reasons!

Thank you, Joey, and Happy Anniversary!

Kathryn

Thanks, Kathryn :D

Happy Ukeiversary, Joey! I love your 10 Reasons and all of your posts. Thank you being such a ray of sunshine in the UU forums. :hug:

Thanks, glad to have been of assitance!

Aloha Joey,
To many people, JAKE is the VOICE of the ukulele, well my dear, YOU are the HEART of it.
Happy 2nd Ukeversary and wishing for many more........................................BO.............................

Aww, shucks, thanks Bo!

That was a great post, Joey! I think it helps to be reminded once in a while why we love the things we love, and to remember not to take the things we love for granted. Although this is your ukeiversary and your list of the things you love about the ukulele is personal to you, we all probably remember the day we picked up our first ukulele, and I think some, if not all, of your reasons for loving the ukulele speak to all of us. My third ukeiversary is in late October, just a week after one of my Hawaiian music classes and I perform at the Maui Ukulele Festival. Thanks for the opportunity you've given us all to reflect on how our own lives have changed since we became ukulele players! Happy second ukeiversary and continue to enjoy the ride!

Thanks, I'm glad it helped you to remember your happy times!

Happy anniversary Joey! I love the enthusiasm you bring to UU. Keep on rockin' them ukes!

Thanks, Teek :D

Happy anniversary, Joey! Your spirit is inspiring. Have fun with Astrid tomorrow. Spend some quality time!

Astrid and I are about to get up close and personal, once I find her under the other seven Ukuleles in my little corner! Then give her a good clean from all the dust!

Happy Ukiversary, Joey! Somewhere around now is my 2 year ukiversary too! I don't have the date... at least I remember my wedding anniversary.

The wedding anniversary is important, I only remember mine because of other factors!

It's like a breath of fresh air when I see you name in a post. Congrats; you are well loved and appreciated.

That's always nice to hear, thanks :D

Top Bottom