ukulele under $2500

Gordonjen

Reaction score
What ukulele would you buy in this price range? Would you buy a factory made Collins,kamaka or an individual luthier made ukulele?

A custom. Definitely a custom.

I would buy a custom as well. I haven't done a lot of custom shopping (I have two Mya-Moes, but MMs are more made-to-order than custom), but I get the impression that beyond a certain price point, the additional amount you'd pay for a custom is for the bling -- inlays, upgraded woods, fancier rosettes and binding, etc.

A couple questions:

Do you have the opportunity to actually try ukes out in person, or will you be ordering sight unseen?
Which is most important to you - looks/bling, or intonation?

My most recent uke purchase was a custom luthier-made uke, after learning that what I wanted did not exist off-the-shelf. While I own several really good factory-made ukes, I've also owned some disappointing factory-made ukes. The disappointments were all ukes that I bought sight unseen, something I'm not likely to do again unless it's a custom from a luthier with a money-back guarantee.

When I was last uke shopping, I found some real inconsistencies in factory-made ukes in terms of intonation and overall playability. Probably nothing that a good luthier couldn't remedy, but my thinking was that if I was paying full retail, it had to be perfect from the start. Even the brands that I admire - Kamaka, Collings, Kiwaya - had their issues, so I ended up going custom (for a lot less than your budget, actually, but as you can see in my profile pic, my uke is very plain - it's usually the inlay work that drives the price up).

All of that being said - if I was going to buy another uke, I would not hesitate to order another custom from the luthier I bought from. However, I'd also keep on the lookout for a good off-the-shelf Kamaka or Collings.

What ukulele would you buy in this price range? Would you buy a factory made Collins,kamaka or an individual luthier made ukulele?

First off, welcome to UU. nice way to introduce yourself. ;)
I would say custom. but I would try a bunch before committing to one. We all love Moor Bettahs, but his list is long, or maybe closed at this point, and we could point you to some. I would go to festivals if you can and check them out. Most uke players will let you play their uke.
My fav customs have been the Moore Bettahs and the Boat paddles. both different in almost every way except that they make ukuleles.

Custom.

I'm having a custom built right now and my first priority was tone. It was very hard to stay away from all the beautifully figured wood, but in the end my uke is going to have a great sounding, but plain looking adirondack spruce top, chosen for the tone.

When the vain part of me wanted the uke to be noticed as a custom, to visually stand out really, I added some purfling and a custom inlay on the fretboard. I don't really like sunburst so my top is going to be completely black to allow the purfling bling to stand out even more.

Brain wanted a great sounding instrument . . . my heart/ego wanted something pretty. So yeah. Custom.

Now I need to work on my playing so I can actually do it some justice when it arrives :)

I would go custom as well. I'm having a custom built right now and I was able to work with the luthier to have it built with a nice integration of his and my ideas. Really great experience and there were some design and configuration elements that I was able to work into the final build.

I figured that at this price point, you should be able to work with the luthier directly.

I highly recommend Mya-Moe. You can get just about anything you want through them and their instruments are simply top-of-the-line in all respects. Their attention to the customer is also simply an experience to cherish. They make great sounding, beautiful looking, well built, and easy playing instruments with on the spot intonation. All at a price well under the $2500 you quoted. Their current wait time is about 6-7 months.

Scary thing with a custom is you have no idea what it'll sound like. I've played a lot of customs that people have made and I can't see what they are hearing when they say it's a great uke. There are some builders though that I think you are very safe going with Chuck Moore, Eric Devine being two of those. Just because it's a custom and expensive doesn't mean it's going to sound good.

As others have said I'd definitely suggest trying out as many as you can first.

Don't take this the wrong way, I swear it is all meant with the most positive of tone...

Presumably if you want to drop $2500ish on a ukulele you are at least a somewhat experienced player, right? Surely you have an idea of who makes the kind of ukes you like visually, who makes the kinds of ukes that are pleasing to your ear. Right? I mean, you must have some idea of what you like?

What do you already own for ukes?
What do you hope to get or advance from the uke you own now, to the $2500 uke?
Are you looking for a show piece? ie. an intricately detailed uke that is displayed?
Are you looking for a high quality sounding ukulele for regular playing?

All these things are questions you should ask yourself before dropping that kind of money on any ukulele in my opinion.

And again, all positive tone there, just genuinely trying to help you out.

I'd buy five. :)

The experiences I have had with both Mya Moe and Ko'olau have been excellent. Thumbs up for both.

Customs are nice...you take the risk and feel obligated no matter how they turn out....the better the luthier, the better the consistancy..when buying just one uke...the risk is there.
Of course you can go in a big reputable shop and pay alot more and try one before you buy....cuts the risk and you know what you gonna get right on the spot...I tend to stick
with the big names when ordering customs....Moore Bettah, Steve Van Pelt, Devine...etc... ones I have deep trust in them.. you get what you pay for essentially....then there's
great luthiers of which you adore their ukes.....I have a few currently...

I think the Aldrine Signature Uke' (can't remember the exact brand) is exactly 2.5k

Damn nice looking Uke.

I'd buy five. :)

I wouldn't buy five but I'd probably buy a Mya Moe concert, then save another $500 or so to put with what's left over and look for a really pristine vintage Martin baritone.

Except...right now I'd probably have to buy a new washer and dryer and have about $1300 left... :(

All these things are questions you should ask yourself before dropping that kind of money on any ukulele in my opinion.

And again, all positive tone there, just genuinely trying to help you out.

What he said!

Top Bottom