£25 eBay purchase to make you drool...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Parallel action thingy from deSoutter snapped up on eBay three years ago for the price of a good meal. Better than anything else I have seen. Used for one operation - back rebate for binding. Thanks go to Ken Timms for making me the mushroom that that fits into the shoe... Rebate cutter from Wealden tools in the UK gives me a precise 1.5mm depth of cut. Absolute no brainer to use and perfect every time.

deSoutter.jpg

Couldn't find it in the deSoutter catalogue but the start at arounf $640 here: http://www.kolverusa.com/index.php/component/products/Models/228

Last edited:
Sweet!! Looks like you went a bit too deep on the left side of your bench :p

If you look around in yard sells and eBay you can often find computer monitor stands that will serve the same function designed more or less the same way. You can also some times find discarded dental equipment that can also be adapted to work. I agree Pete it offers a great way to route sides.

Blessings,

Kevin

nice score Pete. looked in vane for a couple months or something like that than ran across plans for this contraption. Same concept except it has a small doughnut to ride the edge so you can do archtops and stay parallel. Instructions say you can route with your eyes closed and I believe them, but I will also just take their word for it.

Attachments

• IMAG0690.jpg
    IMAG0690.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
The thing about my deSoutter is it's purpose designed for the job and by adjusting the springs the arm becomes perfectly balanced. Although the other stuff comes close, it certainly is no cigar!

How are you securing the body to the bench Pete? For small bodied instruments it always seemed like an awkward way of routing the channels, as opposed to moving the body around a stationary router. I can see it usefulness with guitars but not ukuleles. Nice find anyway.

I'm using a stationary type right now but I'm gonna build this "Fleishman" type in the near future. I'm thinkin you might have a better feel for what is going on and a little more control than you have with the stationary type.

I don't secure it. It rests on the bench on a corner of a yoga mat pad. I'll do a video of me using it next time. It really is a dream.

Pete,
I have the same thing. One thing that I did was to install a piece of spring steel at the base of the bracket that catches the opposing base and holds it up out of the way. That way I can just leave it on my bench and or I can put it out of the way while its running and don't have to worry about it swinging free. Here's a photo of it.

Top Bottom