Thoughts from the more experienced players on 5-strings?

BassGuyukin'

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm still fairly new with my ukes, going on about the fourth month here. I have made an observation. It seems that of all the # of string options on ukes, with 4, 5, 6 and 8 stringers available, seems as if the 5-string is the most UNcommon. But at the same time one of the most asked questions is whether to go with the high G or low G. Seems like with both on a 5-string that it would probably be next most common after the 4 string. But it's not.

I just ask this because I prefer the 5-strings by a longshot. I have had an 8 and don't care for it, I have had several high G strung 4s and they are great though lacking "meat", the low G strung 4s are better but lacking the sweetness of the high G, and here I have everything with a 5-string and it is perfect! Playing the Willie K tenor and love it.

Why aren't 5-string ukes more popular? Seems like a best of both worlds scenario.

I'm not sure why more people aren't interested in these, they sound like a great idea to me. There is a review of the Ohana five string tenor here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWTlSrep_o.

I play baritone, and decided to have one made. I was torn between a five and six string. I tried an eight string and it seemed like too much tension. I also strung a mandolin in fourths, like a tiny little steel string baritone tuned one octave above a normal baritone ukulele, but the tension is even higher, of course, and the fretboard is just too narrow (form my hands anyway) to do much with.

I ultimately decided to get a six string, which is supposed to be ready next week. I still think the five string is a great idea, though, and may have one made in a "guitarra de golpe" (23 inch scale) later.

If you could post a sounds sample of what your five string sounds like, I would be interested. What wood did you use for yours?

Hello, mine is an Oscar Schmidt Willie K in koa, like this one selling on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schmidt-OUW...513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416993dde1

I love these because it adds just a touch of 12-string guitar flavor to a ukulele. I had an 8-string that just seemed like a jumbled mess of strings, but not on this one, it really does solve the problem of which way to go, high G or low G. I do have a very nice Kamoa 700 Series tenor strung up low G and just received my Mainland mahogany tenor that I have in high G, but I prefer and play this Oscar Schmidt the most. Matter of fact, I am going to Oahu for vacation early next year and I will be ordering a 5-string tenor Kanile'a in advance that I'll be able to pick up when I'm there.

As to your question of why 5-strings aren't more popular, I have the impression that the 5-string is a relatively new concept, while ukemakers have been building 6-string and 8-string ukuleles for some time. Also, some people who choose between high g and low g affirmatively want one over the other, so having both may not appeal to that demographic. I've had an 8-string for a while, but I just discovered the joy of 6-strings. A 5-string doesn't interest me because I don't think it'll sound as full as a 6-string or 8-string, and I have separate low g and high g tenors. I played the Ohana 5-string at last year's Wine Country Ukulele Festival, though, and really liked it.

Actually, the 5 string ukes have been around awhile, just not enough interest to build them on a production level until Ohana did so. Most of them are pretty much semi custom/custom builds.

I have one of the first Ohana 5 strings and I really like it.
When I got my Mya-Moe 6 string I had it strung with octave C's and unison A's.
I recently changed it from unison to octave A's. When strumed it is very similar to the five string Ohana.
What I like about the five string is I can still play melody on the E & A strings, but I have that high G classic ukulele sound when strumming.

I have one of the first Ohana 5 strings and I really like it.
When I got my Mya-Moe 6 string I had it strung with octave C's and unison A's.
I recently changed it from unison to octave A's. When strumed it is very similar to the five string Ohana.
What I like about the five string is I can still play melody on the E & A strings, but I have that high G classic ukulele sound when strumming.

Not to derail the thread, but when I purchased one of those blemished Pono 6-strings on eBay, it came with unison A's. Do you prefer octaved A's, and if so, why? Thanks!

Not to derail the thread, but when I purchased one of those blemished Pono 6-strings on eBay, it came with unison A's. Do you prefer octaved A's, and if so, why? Thanks!

On an 8 string I prefer unison a's, but on a 6 string I prefer the a's an active apart because it adds complexity when strummed.

I think the 5 string will gain in popularity, as more people become familier with them. Right now, it is difficult to find one. The Ohana 5 string is very nice, and a very reasonable price.

–Lori

At least at this point I'm not attracted to extra strings, and I think a lot of players feel that way. On the surface it sounds intriguing, but it has the potential to be more limiting rather than enhancing. I have had a few 12 string guitars over the years - whenever I get one I like it for a while then get bored with it and sell it. Mostly I hate tuning multiple strings. I've played the mandolin and don't care for the double strings. What I like most about the uke is its simplicity. I think many, maybe most, players prefer that. There is a place in an ensemble for six and eight string ukes, but as a solo instrument, it's more limiting.

With unison A's the uke was a little thin sounding. With the low A it has more depth.
A low G and Unison A's might be cool too. I liked the unison A's because I could play some melody and licks.

I have 2 main ukes; my David Gill concert pineapple, and my Boat Paddle 12 fret Boat Paddle concert 5-string
Here is the write up with pics and video
http://ukeeku.com/2011/09/27/ukeekus-custom-5-string-concert-boat-paddle-uke/
I love it since I have the best of both worlds. I can pick and only hit the high G pretty easily, and really when you solo you use the other 3 strings. and when I strum I get the nice low along with the normal high G we know and love.
That is my deal on it.

... What I like most about the uke is its simplicity. I think many, maybe most, players prefer that. There is a place in an ensemble for six and eight string ukes, but as a solo instrument, it's more limiting.

At first blush, I'd tend to agree with that, but having not played a 5-string for any amount of time, my opinion isn't all that informed. Ukeeku makes some good points, and as Kanaka said, they have been around a little while at least.

To me, one of the real studs in Hawaii was the late, great Moe Keale. You don't get to hear his famous Cuatro style 5-string by itself much here, but at least enough to arouse curiosity. If Moe liked it, it's worth checking out (anyone have some more?).

Last edited:
Question: Ukeeku's 5 string is double G, but six stringers seem to be double A and C. Does that mean 6 stringers are meant to be high G (as C is the low note and dual octaves)? Does anyone ever play single low G, double octave C and As?

Dirk, do you sell string packets for 6 string ukes (I'm considering a C/A double). Thanks, everyone.

Originally, the 6 strings were strung with the 1st (low A and A) and 3rd (Middle C & High C) courses octaved with the low A being the lowest note. The high C and that low A gives it a different tone spectrum when strummed. As I mentioned before, the low A kinda overpowers the rest and I went with a unison A and a low g which made it easier to finger pick riffs during a song. IMO if you configure the double strings in unison, you'll have a 6 string tuned either re-entrant or a low g and for me serves no purpose. Kinda like making all the courses on a 12 string guitar unison.

Dirk has 6 and 8 string sets available, but doesn't have one with the C in unison. Best bet would be to use the 8 string set to get the double A and the low g. Just wanna say the 6 string set which I'm currently using is really balanced, has great tone clarity and easy to play.

At least at this point I'm not attracted to extra strings, and I think a lot of players feel that way. On the surface it sounds intriguing, but it has the potential to be more limiting rather than enhancing. I have had a few 12 string guitars over the years - whenever I get one I like it for a while then get bored with it and sell it. Mostly I hate tuning multiple strings. I've played the mandolin and don't care for the double strings. What I like most about the uke is its simplicity. I think many, maybe most, players prefer that. There is a place in an ensemble for six and eight string ukes, but as a solo instrument, it's more limiting.

That is what I think is the charm of the 5-string. It only has one set of double strings, just one, so the effect of the extra string is there, but it is subtle. So you really still do have the simplicity of a regular four stringer, which I love, but at least in this case, I think not only is it NOT limiting, but it enables a player even more options, at least IMO.

Last edited:
Dirk, Much Mahalos for posting Uncle Moe's video. Brings back a lot of memories; Island Music Island Hearts was a great series featuring premier island artists performing local music for the people of the 50th State.

Originally, the 6 strings were strung with the 1st (low A and A) and 3rd (Middle C & High C) courses octaved with the low A being the lowest note. The high C and that low A gives it a different tone spectrum when strummed. As I mentioned before, the low A kinda overpowers the rest and I went with a unison A and a low g which made it easier to finger pick riffs during a song. IMO if you configure the double strings in unison, you'll have a 6 string tuned either re-entrant or a low g and for me serves no purpose. Kinda like making all the courses on a 12 string guitar unison.

Dirk has 6 and 8 string sets available, but doesn't have one with the C in unison. Best bet would be to use the 8 string set to get the double A and the low g. Just wanna say the 6 string set which I'm currently using is really balanced, has great tone clarity and easy to play.

Thanks, Kanaka. That helps greatly. And if I get a uke as such, I'll go with your idea of Southcoast's 8 string set and use it as you suggest AA, low G.

Update: okay, I bought the ukulele with dual C and A strings from the original owner (should be here in a week or so), and guess what: he tells me that, for him, the CC and AA are tuned the same, not an octave apart. Says it helps with the fullness of the sound. Interesting, and clearly many ways to skin a cat. I think I'll obviously try a few things first with the strings already on it...maybe down a step or a step and a half on one of the dual strings.

Many ways to do it, and I appreciate OP in bringing up this subject just when I needed it, by chance.

Since this thread wandered a bit I will post this comment.
Because of this thread I experimented with my six string.
I switched to low G and went back to unsion a's. My thinking was G-A is only a step apart and I really liked the low A when strumming, but missed being able to play melodies. Low G gives me the same full strum sound and now with unison A's I can play melody.
So at least for the moment I may have found my 6 string tuning (gCcEAA).

Top Bottom