Happy new uke day to me!

we tigers

Reaction score
Not really today; more like last Saturday, but what a uke it is!
Last week at Burning Uke Gent I bought a Ohana SK-38A from Ken Middleton. Back home I changed the strings. Put some Living Waters on instead of the Aquila's. I've been playing it everyday and already the sound has changed quite a bit. This little soprano sounds huge! More volume than my Pono tenor. Plays like a dream and the Living Water strings are excellent on it. As I said it is already opening up and it can only get better. Wow!
3072C53E-DA3B-4D5A-9BC3-9AAB71481D44-7308-000006B8190720AB.jpg

Congratulations, lovely uke, great pics! I was considering one of these, but the Kiwaya came up on ebay and was irresistible! I'm going to put Living Waters on mine, too - I love them. Got 'em ready! Enjoy your new uke! :)

You lucky sod! I am still suffering the anguish of not being able to make up my mind as to what to buy!!

Congratulations, really nice looking ukulele. I hear really this things about it and it's really cool that you got it and the strings directly from Ken.

You lucky sod! I am still suffering the anguish of not being able to make up my mind as to what to buy!!
I had trouble making my mind up as well. It was between an Ohana SK-38 and a Kiwaya KTS-4. Eventually I decided on the Kiwaya and ordered one (the bloody thing still hasn't arrived though...arrhgh!)
Then I visited the Burning Uke Festival in Gent (Belgium), met Ken, played the Ohana and couldn't resist the temptation. Ken did me a really good deal. The SK-38A is supposed to be B-stock but I really can't fault it. Hence the price was really good and I was not able to walk away empty handed. When (if??) the Kiwaya arrives I'll do a thorough review with a comparison of both ukuleles.

Congrats. Can't go wrong with an Ohana and hopefully some of Ken's mojo came with it!

Very nice! I've heard a lot of good things about the 38s - the SK38 is the one Ohana I would really like to be able to try out. I almost ordered one from Mim but then bought my Mainland mahogany soprano at UWC this year. Was still considering ordering an SK38 after UWC but then the Mainland started opening up like crazy and I can't seem to put it down. I've heard the SK38 is similar in that respect. If it is, you might want to try some worth CH strings on it at some point. The Mainland absolutely loves the heavy gage fluorocarbons, with perfect intonation and better volume than either of my tenors (both Mainlands) and at least as good as my KoAloha longneck soprano.

Very nice. Those are beautiful sounding instruments.

Wow thank you for the update..love the wood and it is lookin' great already....betcha you are all excited . woo hoo
PS.. Hope you been well....long time no hear girl....

Last edited:
Top Bottom