Uke Chord Book

mangorockfish

Reaction score
Is there a book of uke chords that is like an encyclopedia of uke chords? So many leave "the one chord I'm looking for" out. I guess what I'm asking is, "What is the BEST chord book out there?"

I use an app on my Android phone. I can even set it up to show me strange fingerings with up to an 8 fret stretch that most chord books don't bother with.

Last edited:
PS Hal Leonard's Chord Finder is half the price and only one-tenth the book.

I know better than to engage my learned friend mr kayaker in a debate, but...

I like the Hal Leonard because:
1) It's printed large and legible, so I can keep it on the floor or at a distance.
2) Instead of just spots on frets as some chord books, it has fingerings.

I don't think anyone would be throwing away six bucks by picking up a copy.
But to each his own.

You may judge for yourself by looking inside here:
http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Ukulele-Chord-Finder-Easy-/dp/1423400429/

Good luck.

I completely respect dave-wave and other's opinions. I have both books, Leonard and Sakuma, in front of me right now. Here's a couple of facts, so that one could decide on their own (no opinions).

Sakuma has 48 chords per 11 x 8 inch page, and 20 pages of chords. Leonard has 11 chords per 9 x 5 page and 83 pages of chords.

Sakuma has sections, such as Major Chords, Minor Chords, 6ths, 7ths, Dominant, Augmented, etc. on different pages. Leonard has all the chords of a character (e/g all G chords) together (for instance, all G type chords go from page 59-65).

The chord diagrams in Sakuma are 1 inch each. The chord diagrams in Leonard are 1.5 inches each.

Back to opinion: I cannot stand two things about Leonard--the incessant page flipping to find a chord, and the poor organization of the book.

For instance, if I'm learning a song, and it's chords are A, Cm, G, F, and I want to see if fingering up the fretboard will make it more pleasant, or easier transitions, in Sakuma I only need to look at one single page for all the major chords A, G, and F and all their alternatives-- then I look at one other page for Cm (just looking on the single Minor page for all Minors, not just the one i need).

With Leonard, not only do I have to skip around the book to four completely different sections for the four chords, but then I have to wade through 4-8 pages for each chord to find what I'm looking for. It'll drive a person insane!

Okay, back to our sponsors...

PS Dave-wave, the Sakuma book, because it's pages are bigger, lies flat on the floor better, too. LOL It's all good, each has those that enjoy it. Play on. Fun to play with chords, indeed.

Last edited:
I completely respect dave-wave and other's opinions. I have both books, Leonard and Sakuma, in front of me right now. Here's a couple of facts, so that one could decide on their own (no opinions).

I freely confess I do not yet own the Sakuma, but you have convinced me by the strength of the facts you presented.

I wish the listing on Amazon for his book had the "see inside" feature enabled.

Your criticism of the organization of the Leonard is dead on.
Game, set and match to mr kayaker. :bowdown:

I found the ukulele fretboard roadmap book useful as well, and of course when I started out I carried a chord chart with me all the time. Sounds like you are past that stage. I don't know if I will ever have my chord chart completely memorized. I guess time will tell, but it has been very useful. I will buy the Sakuma book after reading this thread. The best at anything always remains open and teachable.

Last edited:
ONe good thing, newportlocal and dave-wave, is that the Samuka book, even though pricier at $12, has full size 11x8 pages that are easily photocopied. Just make a few copies of the chord pages, slide them into those clear-plastic protective sheets (found at Staples) and then pop them into a hard 3-ring notebook. Now you can take out the pages you need when you need them (I use the major chord page the most). So, you can have many copies for the price of one book.

Sorry, Roy Samuka. :-(

ONe good thing, newportlocal and dave-wave, is that the Samuka book, even though pricier at $12, has full size 11x8 pages that are easily photocopied. Just make a few copies of the chord pages, slide them into those clear-plastic protective sheets (found at Staples) and then pop them into a hard 3-ring notebook. Now you can take out the pages you need when you need them (I use the major chord page the most). So, you can have many copies for the price of one book..

Sorry, Roy Samuka. :-(

I have two of those 3 ring notebooks with songs and chords from my earlier in life foray into ukulele. Back then I had a Tiki Flea and a Kamaka pineapple, and was taking lessons at Seal Beach music from Eddie Montana.The reason I like my chord chart is it is stiff laminated material and easily stood up on its own. I always wanted a music stand, but so far other purchases always seem to take priority. You already sold me on the book. I always like good books. I appreciate the good advice, and like you was not of fan of the Hal Leonard book when I tried it.

There are two books that I believe should be in every ukulele players collection.
The Roy Sakuma chord book and Fred Sokolow's Fretboard Roadmap.
I use them both regularly for reference.

ONe good thing, newportlocal and dave-wave, is that the Samuka book...
....Sorry, Roy Samuka. :-(

Since you have sold several more copies of his book with your post, I suspect he would forgive you, but....

...it may bug him that you repeatedly mis-spell his name. :uhoh:

I got to see Mr. Sakuma in action a little bit during the webcast of his uke festival a few Sundays back.
Much respect to him. :shaka:

Top Bottom