Maui Music Concert Ukulele, any idea of the age? strng suggestions?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Maui Music Concert Ukulele, any idea of the age? string suggestions?

Picked a new-to-me Maui Music concert. It's a dream, not a mark on it. Really a sweet playing instrument (even with the strings on it -Hilo I believe). It was stated as built in 1997, but I do not know if that is correct, based on the serial number, SN:8-12388. (This format seems different from other MM serial numbers.)

Can anyone date this? Here are some pics.

Any string suggestions for the uke would be appreciated also.

Thanks.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Aloha Doc,
Congrats on your uke, I have one too. Mine is 9-12587. I asked MGM for help in ID'ing it. He said it's a 1987, built in Sept., and the 125th in the production sequence.
You'll love yours as I do mine. Scored bigtime at a Pawn Shop in Wailuku, Maui. Paid 1/3 of the fair market value, woohoo!
Sometimes, lucky is better than good......................................BO.................................
Oh, I have Ko'olau Alohis on mine and it suits it fine.......SINGS....

Last edited:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...79-Maui-Music-pre-vs-post-fire-Please-explain

I'm not sure if the link will work 'cause I can't attach it from this computer, but if I had to guess, based on MGM's post (#5) here, I'd guess it's from December, 1998, #388 for the year. Just a guess though. That's a nice looking uke, by the way. I love my 2011 Maui Music tenor.

Thanks for the link. OK. That makes sense; it could be December 98. I read somewhere that the fire at Maui Music was in 1998 (?).

Aloha Doc,
Congrats on your uke, I have one too. Mine is 9-12587. I asked MGM for help in ID'ing it. He said it's a 1987, built in Sept., and the 125th in the production sequence.
You'll love yours as I do mine. Scored bigtime at a Pawn Shop in Wailuku, Maui. Paid 1/3 of the fair market value, woohoo!
Sometimes, lucky is better than good......................................BO.................................
Oh, I have Ko'olau Alohis on mine and it suits it fine.......SINGS....

Thanks Bo. So do you think that would make my [8-12388] built in August 1988?

Yes, I do love this uke. It looks like almost like new and as you said it really "SINGS"! (even with the old strings on it). Got it from Elderly, it was on consignment, very reaonsable price, too good to pass up.

I will try some Alohi's on it. Even the Hilos it came with sound good on it.

Last edited:
Bo, thanks for the string suggestion. I finally got the Alohi strings and put them on.

Wow. The Alohi strings are just perfect on this uke.

Congrats Doc, shoots I missed it..it must have been on for a short time...you lucky guy..I really wanted
one..happy strummings....

Congrats. Great looking uke, unique grain pattern. Enjoy!

Thanks. I am enjoying it. Hope your new addition is working out well too.

Congrats Doc, shoots I missed it..it must have been on for a short time...you lucky guy..I really wanted
one..happy strummings....

Thanks. Random good luck in timing on my part. It wasn't listed long.
Even a blind squirrel gets a good nut now and then. :)

Maui Music are *great* ukes! I guess there aren't as many of them out there as some other brands, so we don't hear about them as much. Congrats on the acquisition!

Thanks. I am enjoying it. Hope your new addition is working out well too.

Thanks. Random good luck in timing on my part. It wasn't listed long.
Even a blind squirrel gets a good nut now and then. :)

try posting that question on the builders site as i have seen peter liberman on it 2 weeks ago..
i have a 1998 maui music tenor and it still sounds great!

Last edited:
Aloha Doc,
Glad you like your Maui with the Alohi strings...perfect match IMO. Mahaloz to mmStan for turning me on to Alohis............

Top Bottom