Martin T1K tenor ukulele REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Much more positive than I imagined it would be; interesting! Nice review Barry!

Interesting comment tigers. Mind if I ask why? I'm genuinely pleased with it. It's a little overly bright, but amazing volume and the finish is flawless.

I admit though, I was in two minds myself when ordering it.

Basically because of the fact that the Mexican Martins get very mixed reviews and me not liking the S1 I tried in a store a while back. The small dots by the way I think are really nice.

Why were you in two minds yourself when you ordered it?

I must say that my Mexican Built Martin Guitar (DX1 AE) which has a solid spruce top while the rest of the instrument is made out of HPL (high pressure laminate) is unbelievably good for the price. I have a mate who has several Martins priced well over $1000 and my cheapo ($490) certainly holds its own with any of them.

What sort of price range are the Lowest Range T Series Ukes, Baz? Any of them using HPL? Much difference in quality with the one you reviewed?

Last edited:
Tigers - same reason as you - mixed reviews. I think it's a fine instrument though.

Barbablanca - I'm struggling to find a cheaper one series - perhaps in tenor the t1k is it? All one series are all solid wood though.

Thanks for the great review...I was wondering about them.

PS: I got your new book for my birthday, which is today. I look forward to reading and digesting it. Visited your Homepage too..look forward to going back to it. thanks

Thanks Phil - happy birthday!

Well, gigged this uke in anger tonight for the first time with the Fremont Blacklines - I'm in love!

Well, gigged this uke in anger tonight for the first time with the Fremont Blacklines - I'm in love!

Awesome, glad you are enjoying it !
If I ever see one locally, I'll be giving it a hard look over. I did like the s1 that I had a chance to try.

Played one today at Guitar Center. First, it looked nothing like the one in your picture, very plain with no real grain, looked like plywood. That being said, it sounded fantastic. Bright, clean and loud! I may have to get one of these. Thanks for your review.

Think that can be th problem with lighter lower grade Koa. My Koaloha is the same. Doesn't affect sound though!

Thanks for the great review! I really hope they come out with a soprano koa from Mexico. I have an S1 and I really love it. It is one of my best and most played ukuleles (although that darn Bruko calls to me a lot too). I think your review was really great because you are reviewing the instrument on it's own, not against a vintage Martin and your only comparison you mentioned is with a contemporary ukulele. I think people treat the Mexican made ukuleles unfairly expecting them to be the same as the vintage ukes. The reality is the vintage guys have had decades to open up, chances are good the ones we play today were the best sounding of the bunch which is why they survived and the ukes made today aren't as delicate so they will last longer (a trade off I'm sure but a realistic one). I'm not really into concert or tenor sized ukuleles but I would love to try one out. If they start making koa sopranos then I will be picking one up for sure!

Spot on. I recently had an opportunity to explore one of these, and several more times over numerous visits to a local acoustic instrument shop, and your review rather parallels my own impressions of it. Sure, it's been produced under cost cutting measures, but quality is remarkable, the sustains are atmospheric, volume near matches my KoAloha...it's truley a players uke.

It is certainly loud. Yes, as loud as my Koalohas, but clear with it. Real bite and sustain too.

If they start making koa sopranos then I will be picking one up for sure!

They do! I've seen a few at Guitar Showcase in San Jose, CA and Elderly has had some before. I think they are priced the same as the S1 at $379.

thanks for the great review. been thinking about a mahogany tenor. ARE THESE NOT MADE IN MAHOGANY/? I did a google search and found the koa but no mahogany?

ARE THESE NOT MADE IN MAHOGANY/? I did a google search and found the koa but no mahogany?

They only make the mahogany tenor and concert versions in the USA....hence they cost 2.5x more.

Good review, thanks. I was thinking about buying a T2 tenor - but the reviews I read on that convinced me otherwise - I'm leaning toward a Kamaka HF3

doug

Last edited:
Enjoyed your review since I have the C1K Martin. I love the looks, sound of this uke. I keep it by the computer and after reading UU, I pick it up and bang on it. I hope you are enjoying your T1K.

Top Bottom