Mahogany upgrade for me ??

patico

Reaction score
hi UUers
I've been looking for an upgrade for my Mainland Mahogany Tenor, (i have never tried on of the K brands) and would like to buy another mahogany tenor.
any suggestions for me ??
thank

Are you set on a K-level upgrade? Or would you consider something somewhat in-between, such as a Pono? (I haven't played a Mainland, so maybe a Pono isn't considered an upgrade?) Also, people probably will suggest that you specify a price range and what qualities you value in an instrument.

A Loprinzi would be worth a look.....I had a soprano a few years back and it was outstanding and fairly priced

Ko'olau makes some nice mahogany instruments,and as was mentioned too LoPrinzi. They don't have a K in their name but do make some high quality instruments with lots of choices. They use Honduran mahogany, American cherry, Koa, Maple to name a few. They even have a stash of Brazilian rosewood from the 60's that they use.

I have a Pono solid mahogany baritone that sounds wonderful. I've never played a LoPrinzi but I've heard great things about them. Custom tenor ukuleles from Willie Wixom apparently start at $550. If you wanted to go higher-end than, for example, a Ko'olau, you could get a made-to-order mahogany tenor from Mya-Moe for as "little" as $1,000.

I just got a Pono MTDX and am loving it so far. Got it from HMS and their service and set up are great.

Thanks for the answers.
I'd been saving for a while, so i think i can go into the 1000 - 1200s price.
for what i play, i think the mahogany suits me fine.
i've watched almost all the tube's videos about ukulele LOL, but will check again the LoPrinzi and Ko'olaus

what i'm looking for?
playability, finest sound and intonation.
i'm not into the bling bling, i don't care for bindings, AAAAAAAA tops, etc
i need an instrument that suits me perfect when the inspiration comes

i once had a PONO that lasted about 3 weeks, sold it to a friend cause i didn't like it.

Iorana fellas

In your price range, I'd seriously consider a Mya-Moe, or a custom from Steven van Pelt or any of a number of other custom builders who sell ukuleles in that price range. While I love my Kamakas, I find my MM tenor to have the most playable fretboard of all my ukuleles (maybe it's the radiused fretboard), the intonation is perfect, and it has great resonance. Maybe its the fact that the fretboard is radiused

Top Bottom