View Full Version : 29th Season of the Ukulele

Pages : [1] 2

29moons
09-01-2012, 02:00 PM
The winners have been posted!

It’s a numbers game.

This Weeks Theme
Uke By Numbers 1, 2, 3…

Since it’s week 29 and I am 29moons I decided that this week’s theme should be all about numbers. Just make sure that your song has something to do with numbers. It could be a song about numbers, a song with a number in it or by a band or a person with a number in the name. It’s pretty simple.

PARAMETERS
It must be a new video!!
The Ukulele must be the main instrument
Mention somewhere in the video that it’s Week 29
Post your videos in this thread
Your first video post is you official entry
BONUS SONGS are welcome
Duplicates are also welcome*

*We have all worked hard on a song all week only to have someone post the same song (either official or as a bonus) and felt discouraged. Please don't feel that way. Please post it anyway. I love seeing different versions of the same song.

JUDGING CRITERIA
I just want everyone to have fun, including me. I will judge on what makes me go wow!

Remember, this is a ukulele contest, not a singing contest. Have fun and sing like no one is listening.

Points will be awarded for your awesomeness. What does that even mean? I don’t know, I’m just gonna go with my gut.

So, points are moot! Or is that moot points? I don’t know that either.

** BONUS ACTIVITY **
The first person that can private message me with the correct meaning of my username will be awarded a small bonus gift. I will share the answer at the end of the week and announce the winner of the bonus then . (only one bonus gift will be awarded)
Any answers posted on the thread I will ask the poster to remove.

After a suggestion from wee_ginga_yin and discussing with Ukuloonie it has been decided that BONUS songs with a moon theme would be fun to do. In celebration of the Blue Moon and the life of Neil Armstrong who passed away recently.

JUDGING
I will pick my 3 favorites from the weeks entries based on their awesomeness.

PRIZES
To be announced – in other words, I am still looking.

This contest is not sponsored by UU.

DEADLINE:
12:17 PM HAWAII TIME, SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 9th

myrnaukelele
09-01-2012, 02:52 PM
And I thought I was getting a jump on the season by practicing a moon song lol! Alright- time to regroup and find a number song...

chrimess
09-01-2012, 07:02 PM
sometimes you just have to get it or your system...
for what it is worth:

Top 10-4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McpFbIQqu_s&feature=g-upl

chrimess
09-01-2012, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=chrimess;1035120]sometimes you just have to get it or your system...
for what it is worth:

Top 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24VKbvYj1Eg

Dan Uke
09-01-2012, 07:16 PM
for what it is worth:

Top 3:

great top ten! I don't how you learned all those songs!

chrimess
09-01-2012, 07:18 PM
man, it is all still there, from when only the cool people played the uke and I played guitar.

[QUOTE=chrimess;1035122]

ukuloonie
09-01-2012, 07:26 PM
That was pretty darn good Chrimess especially your number 1 ( U2 ) song
Wow

chrimess
09-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Drew- this song does not deserve to be truncated...

That was pretty darn good Chrimess especially your number 1 ( U2 ) song
Wow

thesillydave
09-01-2012, 07:56 PM
so.....if it mentions a number in the song...will that qualify? just nit pickin' ! i have a song that i've been hesitating to do for a while, but this might give me the push...

ukuloonie
09-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Taken from the rules at the top of the page

'a song with a number in it'

yep Looks like it sillydave.

It didn't mention one take so I thought maybe people may do a multitracking video?

29moons
09-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Yep! Sillydave, that totally qualifies.

Thanks Ukuloonie for the clarification.

so.....if it mentions a number in the song...will that qualify? just nit pickin' ! i have a song that i've been hesitating to do for a while, but this might give me the push...

thesillydave
09-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Taken from the rules at the top of the page

'a song with a number in it'

yep Looks like it sillydave.

It didn't mention one take so I thought maybe people may do a multitracking video?

if i could ever figure out multi...i would just sound multi goofier! just want to sound singularly silly as i am...with fun hats...thanks loonie!

29moons
09-01-2012, 09:07 PM
for what it is worth:

Top 3:

Such an awesome first entry. Seriously, it so fits the entire theme. A top 10 with each song corresponding to it's number on the list. I find it fitting that the the person who started the seasons started my week. Thanks so much, I appreciate it and love what you did with my idea.

TCK
09-01-2012, 10:32 PM
So really...first vid is our entry? Because i have a pile of tracks sitting here while I wait for my wife to figure the one we will enter.

29moons
09-01-2012, 11:09 PM
I know that it's tough but that was one of the early rules in the original six weeks. As my Dad would say, "It's a thinker."

Perhaps you should do "Seven Bridges Road" by the Eagles?

What would the Dude do? :rulez:

So really...first vid is our entry? Because i have a pile of tracks sitting here while I wait for my wife to figure the one we will enter.

wee_ginga_yin
09-01-2012, 11:53 PM
And I thought I was getting a jump on the season by practicing a moon song lol! Alright- time to regroup and find a number song...

Over on the dark side (Ukulele Cosmos) when Neil Armstrong died they thought to do
"moon" songs as a remembrance for the monthly invitational... there is a whole bunch
of good moon songs, and at the moment there is a full moon in the sky.
I think a moon season at some time would be a great idea.

austin1
09-02-2012, 03:05 AM
I'm out of the seasons for a while, I've got to go bike around Ireland. Have a fabulous week, knock 'em dead, break legs, etc etc. See you in October!

29moons
09-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Enjoy your bike ride and the beautiful sites of Ireland. Your entry will be missed.

I'm out of the seasons for a while, I've got to go bike around Ireland. Have a fabulous week, knock 'em dead, break legs, etc etc. See you in October!

TCK
09-02-2012, 07:08 AM
I know that it's tough but that was one of the early rules in the original six weeks. As my Dad would say, "It's a thinker."

Perhaps you should do "Seven Bridges Road" by the Eagles?

What would the Dude do? :rulez:
Naw- No Eagles from this camp...I am working on Glenn Fry's entire solo career as covers on the Uke. The heat is on :P

29moons
09-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Technically, "Smuggler's Blues" would fit this weeks theme.

Naw- No Eagles from this camp...I am working on Glenn Fry's entire solo career as covers on the Uke. The heat is on :P

Dougf
09-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Another recent moon connection is the so-called "blue moon" this past Friday, August 31, at least according to some definitions. And "Blue Moon" has got to be one of the best moon songs ever. Here's the wiki for "blue moon" celestial event:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_moon

Over on the dark side (Ukulele Cosmos) when Neil Armstrong died they thought to do
"moon" songs as a remembrance for the monthly invitational... there is a whole bunch
of good moon songs, and at the moment there is a full moon in the sky.
I think a moon season at some time would be a great idea.

29moons
09-02-2012, 08:33 AM
After a suggestion from wee_ginga_yin and discussing with Ukuloonie it has been decided that BONUS songs with a MOON theme would be fun to do. In celebration of the Blue Moon and the life of Neil Armstrong who passed away recently.

I have updated the rules on the first post.

Let's go crazy with the Cheez-Whiz~!

chrimess
09-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Excellent, thank you-does that mean there will be LUNA ukes as prizes?

After a suggestion from wee_ginga_yin and discussing with Ukuloonie it has been decided that BONUS songs with a MOON theme would be fun to do. In celebration of the Blue Moon and the life of Neil Armstrong who passed away recently.

I have updated the rules on the first post.

Let's go crazy with the Cheez-Whiz~!

OldePhart
09-02-2012, 09:52 AM
...I get to go bike around Ireland.

There...fixed it for ya!

GinnyT11
09-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Another clarification, please...you mean both cardinal numbers (One is the Loneliest Number) and ordinal numbers (I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am), right?

If so, would you please add it to the instructions on the first page?

austin1
09-02-2012, 11:46 AM
There...fixed it for ya!

true that :D

29moons
09-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Let's not overthink it here. A number is a number. Roman Numerals are OK. Although I don't think algebraic variables like X or Y will count unless used in a roman numeral.

Another clarification, please...you mean both cardinal numbers (One is the Loneliest Number) and ordinal numbers (I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am), right?

If so, would you please add it to the instructions on the first page?

Dan Uke
09-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Sillydave can do the same song by Train!!!

peewee
09-02-2012, 06:12 PM
I don't think algebraic variables like X or Y will count unless used in a roman numeral.

So I can't do Let X=X (http://youtu.be/DR30nKnE80g)??? I wasn't considering it until you said that!

29moons
09-02-2012, 06:18 PM
So I can't do Let X=X (http://youtu.be/DR30nKnE80g)??? I wasn't considering it until you said that!

Does X = 10?

peewee
09-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Does X = 10?

I'm good, I have another one with a different number up my sleeve..just kidding..

thesillydave
09-02-2012, 07:02 PM
nope, not the train song again...ha! here's an oldie that i learned from coveywoods tutorial on youtube
about a year ago and have finally gotten around to record it! and it has the #3 in it! woohoo! now on to moon bonus songs!

http://youtu.be/24pCf_xrFjA

GinnyT11
09-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Let's not overthink it here. A number is a number.

Just confirming that first, second and third count as numbers, even though they don't have the number in them as do ordinals like Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown. (These little things matter to us copyeditors. :))

Could some UU centurion actually sing in Roman numerals, like the Beatles' tune "VIII diebus in hebdomada"?

29moons
09-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Bravo! That was great Sillydave. Great feeling and playing, plus I love that smile. You look so happy playing. Can't wait for your moon bonus.

nope, not the train song again...ha! here's an oldie that i learned from coveywoods tutorial on youtube
about a year ago and have finally gotten around to record it! and it has the #3 in it! woohoo! now on to moon bonus songs!

29moons
09-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Nineteenth as well as second and 3rd count as numbers in my book.

chrimess
09-03-2012, 02:54 AM

That is a superb number, Dave! In bed by three(am)? Not sure the apple alone will fix that...

wee_ginga_yin
09-03-2012, 03:52 AM
OK this is my MOON bonus a sort of psychedelic blues version of Space Oddity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvJuIKRkkdY

strumsilly
09-03-2012, 05:49 AM
no doubt about this being a number song. Raffi's "Number's Rhumba". introducing my grandaughter Frankie as the newest Seasonista. Looking for an inexpensive Sopranino for her if anyone has one used. They were going back to Charleston so we had no practice time. Here it is in all it's rawness. I probably should have at least combed my hair, but I struck while the iron was hot.

http://youtu.be/fLN8iIJrUgU

wee_ginga_yin
09-03-2012, 06:17 AM
She wanted to cha-cha-cha :-)

TCK
09-03-2012, 06:18 AM
This made me smile ear to ear! Great stuff
no doubt about this being a number song. Raffi's "Number's Rhumba". introducing my grandaughter Frankie as the newest Seasonista. Looking for an inexpensive Sopranino for her if anyone has one used. They were going back to Charleston so we had no practice time. Here it is in all it's rawness. I probably should have at least combed my hair, but I struck while the iron was hot.

Canoe Lady
09-03-2012, 06:29 AM

That was so cute! Made me smile huge.

wee_ginga_yin
09-03-2012, 06:40 AM
5' 2" Roasting an old chestnut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m12srrAm1Lk

GinnyT11
09-03-2012, 06:44 AM

That was adorable! She's off to a good musical start on a great tune. You had a nice mouth trumpet too.

(I loved Raffi when my son was that age!)

we tigers
09-03-2012, 06:46 AM

This one made me smile! Excellent.

I'm gonna trie to start taking part in these seasons. Going through the several topics I've thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Let's see if I can manage to ukefy a little classic eighties Paul Hardcastle...:cool:

GinnyT11
09-03-2012, 06:52 AM

And beautifully slow-roasted! I think there's a back story in your blues version that might involve a lot of leavin' and cryin' and goin' out of my mind. Maybe some can't take it no more too.

ukuleledaddy
09-03-2012, 07:31 AM
I love this challenge! So many great songs to choose from, both for a numbers song and a bonus moon song. Too bad it's an exceptionally busy week. I'll get something in though. Thanks 29Moons!

Barbablanca
09-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Granddaughter? You must have started early SS!!! What a cutey! I love it when she is doing two and suddenly a thought occiurs to her. She then counts her fingers, obviously thinks "Hey the thumb is a finger too, so that's a three!" and changes her fingers accordingly. :D

strumsilly
09-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Granddaughter? You must have started early SS!!! What a cutey! I love it when she is doing two and suddenly a thought occiurs to her. She then counts her fingers, obviously thinks "Hey the thumb is a finger too, so that's a three!" and changes her fingers accordingly. :D
ha I didn't even catch that. I got her a Dolphin last year. Got her dad hooked, he's up to 3 ukes !

Dougf
09-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Here's a fun one, it's got a couple of good numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-WvdAS3zyw

GinnyT11
09-03-2012, 11:34 AM

That was super, Doug! You're at least as smooth as Nat King Cole.
That's the tenor pineapple you built yourself? You bring a retro sound out of it for this tune. I wonder what it would have been like with the "California Special" uke.

strumsilly
09-03-2012, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Dougf;1036208]Here's a fun one, it's got a couple of good numbers.

very nice and smooth Doug, I gotta get me some of those jazz chords.

Loved the bluesy version of 5'2 Ginga

Silly Dave, very nice delivery.

Chrimess, what can I say, you continue to amaze.

wee_ginga_yin
09-03-2012, 12:24 PM
And there was I thinking Route 66 was a Chuck Berry number :-)

Tootler
09-03-2012, 01:15 PM

or even the Rolling Stones :confused:

Tootler
09-03-2012, 01:52 PM
My entry. From a seventeenth century broadside, though the battle referred to allegedly took place in the 1580s (There is some doubt that it describes a real battle).

A wonderful piece of sixteenth century jingoism.

http://youtu.be/i8gikPwdonI

erivel
09-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Here's my entry: 4 + 20 from CSN&Y's Deja Vu album. Hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/8JnEdMoNSkY

ukuloonie
09-03-2012, 03:44 PM

Nice smooth playing:D

Dougf
09-03-2012, 03:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m12srrAm1Lk

I think this was the first song I learned on uke that had more than three chords, my dad taught it to me. And then he taught me "Ja-Da", and said the progression was almost the same, I guess my first music "theory" lesson.

Sounds like you're getting some sort of vibrato effect there, very cool.

ukuloonie
09-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Just a quick note
Luluwrites has said that if for any reason those who have signed up to host for a week are unable to do so cause stuff happens.
Luluwrites will be happy to take your spot.

Ukuloonie

GinnyT11
09-03-2012, 03:50 PM

Beautiful playing, Erivel, on your terrific Pohaku. Your singing was nice, too, on this song I haven't heard since college. In those days, I played my Deja Vu album on a turntable.

Dougf
09-03-2012, 04:00 PM
That was super, Doug! You're at least as smooth as Nat King Cole.
That's the tenor pineapple you built yourself? You bring a retro sound out of it for this tune. I wonder what it would have been like with the "California Special" uke.

Thanks, Ginny. Nat King Cole is one of my musical heroes, I know I'll never come close, but nice to think I could emulate him a bit.

The "California Special" has been neglected lately, but Glen Rose (from whom I learned the basics of this tune) feels that low-G is better suited for these kinds of 9th and 13th chords. Opinions vary. :)

[QUOTE=Dougf;1036208]Here's a fun one, it's got a couple of good numbers.

very nice and smooth Doug, I gotta get me some of those jazz chords.

Loved the bluesy version of 5'2 Ginga

Silly Dave, very nice delivery.

Chrimess, what can I say, you continue to amaze.

As I replied to Ginny, I learned the basics of this tune from Glen Rose's YouTube tutorial. Mostly C13, F9, Cm7, and G9/G13.

or even the Rolling Stones :confused:

And John Mayer did a version for Disney's "Cars" movie, I think his arrangement follows Chuck Berry's.

I think this song resonates with me at least partly because my family moved from Iowa to California in 1961, and we traveled Route 66 pretty much the whole way. I think those highway signs were burned into my subconscious. :)

erivel
09-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Nice smooth playing:D

Thanks so much!

erivel
09-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Beautiful playing, Erivel, on your terrific Pohaku. Your singing was nice, too, on this song I haven't heard since college. In those days, I played my Deja Vu album on a turntable.

Thanks Ginny! I remember having 4 Way Street and After the Goldrush on vinyl.

peewee
09-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Hi All, here's a song about the biggest number of all, it's kind of a Carlos Castaneda meets Marty Robbins campfire number by the Meat Puppets called Oh, Me (http://youtu.be/n4cK0Bsl1wA).
The song is awfully short without the rambly solos..

29moons, you live in the SW and I think I've seen you in a Grateful Dead T shirt - you have to be a Meat Puppets fan, right?

http://youtu.be/9-KaRE1LUXo

now to review the entries..

... amazing stuff. It's nice to have such an open-ended challenge this week, everyone gets to go to their own zone again.

Chrimess: top 10. I love a medley, great picks too, and points for quick turn-around.

SillyDave: Great tune, must learn that one you are always a joy to watch

WGY: Space Oddity: that’s some spacey blues!
5’2”: that must be the metric barrelhouse version..very soulful.

Strum Silly, a deftly played cute card. Welcome to Frankie.

DougF Route 66: be careful out there man! Always wear an orange safety vest when uking in the right-of-way..Rte 66 jazzified DougF style. So smooth

Tootler: Lord Willoughby’s welcome home: I fear your stout behaviour! Bringing us more ancient tunes, thanks

Erivel: 4+20: great folky guitar riffs (slides) translated to uke, and singing all the while. I am jealous

erivel
09-03-2012, 07:52 PM

Chock-full O'cuteness right there!

myrnaukelele
09-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Bonus Track - Buffalo Gals
Recorded live this afternoon (9/3/2012) at the Alaska State Fair.

http://youtu.be/95SYNYSyQqI

peewee
09-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Bonus Track - Buffalo Gals
Recorded live this afternoon (9/3/2012) at the Alaska State Fair.
http://youtu.be/95SYNYSyQqI

You get the blue ribbon!
the AK state fair must be great, especially with you guys (women) on stage. yeehaw!

Hippie Dribble
09-03-2012, 10:10 PM
hey gang, here's a kiddies counting song that somehow became a love story. the clip features a tea cosy, a ukulele, a randy sailor, 29 children, a dog named Isabelle and a semi-thawed chicken carcass :) thanks for another great week moons!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Ip3LGYBls

now off to catch up on the entries! :)

erivel
09-03-2012, 10:17 PM
hey gang, here's a kiddies counting song that somehow became a love story. the clip features a tea cosy, a ukulele, a randy sailor, 29 children, a dog named Isabelle and a semi-thawed chicken carcass :) thanks for another great week moons!

Nice Jon! What did she end up doing with that bone?

Hippie Dribble
09-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Nice Jon! What did she end up doing with that bone?

he he...she was a bit stunned to start with!!! Na brother...she carried it off and devoured it (a bit camera shy :o)... but she was still licking her lips an hour afterwards :drool:

UkeyDave
09-03-2012, 11:05 PM

Another great entry. You are one hell of a Uke player dude. Loved this version.

Canoe Lady
09-04-2012, 12:53 AM

Great playing! Nice :)

29moons
09-04-2012, 03:42 AM
It has been a very busy weekend with a nice BBQ, painting my daughter's bedroom, tracking down prizes and trying to keep up with homework for school. With that said, I have not been able to keep with the entries. I am going to spend parts of today catching up with them and look forward to seeing all of the ones.

wee_ginga_yin
09-04-2012, 03:58 AM
hey gang, here's a kiddies counting song that somehow became a love story. the clip features a tea cosy, a ukulele, a randy sailor, 29 children, a dog named Isabelle and a semi-thawed chicken carcass :) thanks for another great week moons

Dog Check
Bone Check
Tea Cosy??? Unless it was that blue thing on top of your head :-)

Spanking good stuff.

strumsilly
09-04-2012, 04:13 AM

wonderful playing as usual. And that's one lucky dog. I should have thought of that, I'd of had all the bases covered, cute song, cute kid and cute dog! cute cubed. maybe next season. haha, btw you don't need props, only we hacks need them :} but it never hurts.

23skidoo
09-04-2012, 04:23 AM

This is great, Doug - your playing is always so hip..... can tell when you're really getting into it and that left shoulder gets going.... also had to laugh at that cautionary look behind you at the beginning.... good stuff.....

23skidoo
09-04-2012, 04:27 AM

http://youtu.be/8JnEdMoNSkY

pure goodness, Eric - you killed it, man. Doesn't get much better.....

000Kanaka000
09-04-2012, 07:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NIacDHNThk

OK Couldn't resist this one - Here's my Entry : Blue Suede Shoes

OK have tried everything i can think of an can't figure how to get video up.
Talk about frustrating.

Ganga K

peewee
09-04-2012, 08:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NIacDHNThk

OK have tried everything i can think of an can't figure how to get video up.
Talk about frustrating.

Ganga K

Hi Ganga K, that was rockin'!
here's the cure for your frustration: above the reply (or edit) window there is a menu bar, there is font and formatting stuff on the left, and on the right are some other tools: insert link, email, insert image, and the next one, that looks like a two-frame strip of film: Insert Video that will open a window into which you can paste the URL of your vid, and it will display in your message.
hope that helps

peewee

000Kanaka000
09-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Thank you SO much will try that and see how it goes. Am sitting here with jet
lag so will see if i can muddle through.

GinnyT11
09-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Ganga K

Nice rockin', Ganga! I envy you for being able to sing.

erivel
09-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Great playing! Nice :)

Thanks Canoe Lady!

erivel
09-04-2012, 09:35 AM
pure goodness, Eric - you killed it, man. Doesn't get much better.....

Much appreciated brother!

~dave~~wave~
09-04-2012, 09:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_59O_MP0MY

For my first entry in the Seasons, I offer this psychedelic flashback to the heady Summer of 1969.

This song was Number One in the charts for six weeks in July and August, from the time of the first moon landing to Woodstock.
Zager and Evans, the original artists, were from Lincoln, Nebraska, where I live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zager_and_Evans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_year_2525

*Technical note: If anybody can tell me how to use the camera in my MacBook so it doesn't reverse the image like I'm playing in a mirror, I'd appreciate any hints.

redpaul1
09-04-2012, 09:59 AM
OK, here's my effort. Hope I've got it right. As it seems obligatory to wear a hat in the UU, that's me under that hat.

http://youtu.be/g4OOKLv_lV4
I'm using my Argapa piccolo btw.

mattydee
09-04-2012, 10:12 AM
*Technical note: If anybody can tell me how to use the camera in my MacBook so it doesn't reverse the image like I'm playing in a mirror, I'd appreciate any hints.

I record directly into iMovie, which does that conversion for you. Conversely, if you record in PhotoBooth, you an the flip the image using the clip editor in iMovie - but then you can't use any of the other cool filters there like b/w or sepia or whatever.

~dave~~wave~
09-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I record directly into iMovie, which does that conversion for you. Conversely, if you record in PhotoBooth, you an the flip the image using the clip editor in iMovie - but then you can't use any of the other cool filters there like b/w or sepia or whatever.

Ah, Mahalo, mattydee.
iMovie isn't intuitive to me, but I'll have to bite the bullet and get on the learning curve.

glass
09-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Heres my entry....enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwfxFz5roe4

UkeyDave
09-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Here is my entry for 29th Season. Its my take on "The Scientist" by Coldplay. The song includes numbers in the lyrics. I've used multi-tracking on this one to include some Djembe drum percussion alongside the obligatory drinking glass and pen. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDElKWzx_Sg

Hippie Dribble
09-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Bonus poem in honor of our dear host....

There once was a fella called Moons
They say that he used to play spoons
But he discovered what art
Could be made with a fart:
A veritable orchestral typhoon.

So he gave up playing utensils
And painting and drawing on stencils
Now when the crowd starts to hum
He just flashes his bum
And its uncovered sonic potential.

shucks...sorry brother...did I just do that...he he....(*ducking tomatoes now*) I'll see if I can come up with one for the real meaning of your name... :o

GinnyT11
09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Bonus poem in honor of our dear host....

There once was a fella called Moons
They say that he used to play spoons
But he discovered what art
Could be made with a fart:
A veritable orchestral typhoon.

So he gave up playing utensils
And painting and drawing on stencils
Now when the crowd starts to hum
He just flashes his bum
And its uncovered sonic potential.

shucks...sorry brother...did I just do that...he he....(*ducking tomatoes now*) I'll see if I can come up with one for the real meaning of your name... :o

You're totally back, Jon---yay!

Useless factoid of the day: There was a French vaudeville performer who used this as his act. The art form is called "fartiste." (I kid you not.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Pétomane
(Mel Brooks' character in Blazing Saddles was Governor Le Petomane.)

OldePhart
09-04-2012, 01:52 PM
You can actually still follow Route 66 over much of the original route. Some of it has become interstate, some of it the new interstates parallel the old 66 and you can actually see the abandoned pavement, but in a lot of places Route 66 is still very much alive if not quite the heyday it once was. There's been a revival in the last couple of decades of a lot of the old landmarks along the route, restoration of drive in restaraunts and mom & pop motels and what have you.

I've always prefered driving to flying when I have time and I love to get off the interstates sometimes and just discover what is out there. That's why I rarely make firm plans when I'm on vacation - I've been known to spot a neat little county park in the mountains and spend a week camped out there and never make it to my original destination... :)

John

v30
09-04-2012, 02:12 PM

Man that was smooth as silk and soooo soothing. I think my blood pressure went down about 5 points just listening to it. Nice job!

Hippie Dribble
09-04-2012, 02:20 PM
chrimess: GEN-US!!!!!! Brilliant Christian, original, skillful, creative flair to the max and just awesome playing and singing on all counts. Incredible start to the week mate

sillydave: magic song dave...gotta learn it. incredibly smooth chord changes and playing, just love your style brother. you just have the perfect voice for these old jazzy raggy tunes. Instant favorite.

strumsilly: man, how gorgeous is little Frankie! so lovely you two, lovely tune, cute to the max

weegingayin: YES!!!! so good Rob...a low down smoky brooding take on 5'2"...whooda thunk it could ever be done so well

Dougf: Doug you are mr smooth mate. awesome vid. fab playing.

Tootler: superb storytelling Geoff, had me strapped in for the ride, wonderful voice, so authentic

erivel: whoooa mate. Oh so good. knocked it outa da park. Brilliant singing and even better playing...so much emotion and skill here...blown away, cut straight through me

peewee: really nice work on the bari Peter, sounding awesome in your hands mate. Great looking clip and nice vocal to boot

000Kanaka000: great job G! so much fun, totally groovin, super singing

davewave: what a brilliant song to choose Dave and superbly rendered. very cool looking video

redpaul: so moody so authentic, awesome gravelly vocal....reminded me of Chuck e weiss...love the piccolo too. great stuff mate

UkeyDave: seriously good work here Dave. very nice voice, great use of percussion, seamless work

glass: yeah Ken!!! Pure Glass. awesome vocal again man...had eugenie stompin down dem floorboards...she wants to start a fanclub

Dan Uke
09-04-2012, 02:33 PM

Was this song written for the ukulele as it sounds cool! I don't need to hear the original as that was wonderfully played and sung!

Dan Uke
09-04-2012, 02:35 PM

If this contest on sheer cuteness, you would have my vote for playing the lip kazoo...btw, your granddaugter was ok...J/K SHE IS ADORABLE!!! Great!!

Dan Uke
09-04-2012, 02:39 PM

That was way cool!! That was one of the first songs I played on Trombone being in the Jazz Band in Jr. High!! Yes Trombone!! I played Clarinet and thought of myself as a Benny Goodman but they thought otherwise and I played the Trombone! I love this song and brings back memories. Thanks Doug

glass
09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
chrimess: GEN-US!!!!!! Brilliant Christian, original, skillful, creative flair to the max and just awesome playing and singing on all counts. Incredible start to the week mate

glass: yeah Ken!!! Pure Glass. awesome vocal again man...had eugenie stompin down dem floorboards...she wants to start a fanclub

I have as of now three fans, my twins and 3 yr old, so looks like she will be my fourth!! Thanks a lot, nothing compares to your most excellent playing and singing!!! Keep up the good work!!! MAybe one day I can do a collab with Eugenie!!

chrimess
09-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks Jon and Ralf for the kind words, credits go entirely to the Chilean winery of Marques.

strumsilly
09-04-2012, 04:26 PM

I did enjoy, Very Much.

TCK
09-04-2012, 05:07 PM
The Cloverdale Kid breathes a big sigh of relief now that we move back into territory I care to trod...funny, this was top 40 way back when.
Hope you enjoy my take on it, it is here to make you all smile,
But it is especially for Eric- a little thank you for all the inspiration.
Our Entry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1iX39D0qLc&feature=youtu.be

thesillydave
09-04-2012, 07:23 PM
i couldn't resist! this is a funny Austin Lounge Lizards song...i'll try a moon song later!

http://youtu.be/dtEUV0M2k70

fun week so far! great songs everyone!

erivel
09-04-2012, 11:23 PM
The Cloverdale Kid breathes a big sigh of relief now that we move back into territory I care to trod...funny, this was top 40 way back when.
Hope you enjoy my take on it, it is here to make you all smile,
But it is especially for Eric- a little thank you for all the inspiration.
Our Entry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1iX39D0qLc&feature=youtu.be

Aw...Dave and Melissa, that was terrific!! Thanks for that! I think you were 94 balloons short though...JK. I racked my brain for an 80's tune with numbers in it. I could only come up with 867-5309. I totally forgot about Nena and her red balloons, that's a perfect one for this week. Props to you guys! And props to your props! And props to your cat who sang at the end!

erivel
09-04-2012, 11:25 PM
v30, Jon, and strumsilly...thanks so much for the kind words!

redpaul1
09-05-2012, 01:04 AM
redpaul: so moody so authentic, awesome gravelly vocal....reminded me of Chuck E. Weiss...love the piccolo too. great stuff mate

You know, I had to look up "Chuck E. Weiss" to find out what you meant, but having done so...: hey, I'll take that! Cheers, Paul!

000Kanaka000
09-05-2012, 02:14 AM
That's Amore Season 29 Bonus song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgikmBWF40Q

Greetings from Barcelona. Now to rest as jet lag has snuck up again.

wee_ginga_yin
09-05-2012, 02:16 AM
i couldn't resist! this is a funny Austin Lounge Lizards song...i'll try a moon song later!

What a marvelous song... it would have been perfect for a halloween season.
I like it when words just come spilling out like that. It is like rapids in a river
Twisting with unexpected turns

decaturcomp
09-05-2012, 03:52 AM
Stellar work, young fellah, knew we could count on you. Ah Ah Ah!
"10 Coconut Custard Pies!"
-the count

[QUOTE=chrimess;1035122]

chrimess
09-05-2012, 04:18 AM
appreciate it, thanks.

Stellar work, young fellah, knew we could count on you. Ah Ah Ah!
"10 Coconut Custard Pies!"
-the count

[QUOTE=nongdam;1035131]

strumsilly
09-05-2012, 04:27 AM
That's Amore Season 29 Bonus song.

Greetings from Barcelona. Now to rest as jet lag has snuck up again.

I love that song, I think I did it for week 4 , many Moons ago. my take was much slower , so I had more time for the chord changes, haha. loved your version ooo.

Dougf
09-05-2012, 04:41 AM
You can actually still follow Route 66 over much of the original route. Some of it has become interstate, some of it the new interstates parallel the old 66 and you can actually see the abandoned pavement, but in a lot of places Route 66 is still very much alive if not quite the heyday it once was. There's been a revival in the last couple of decades of a lot of the old landmarks along the route, restoration of drive in restaraunts and mom & pop motels and what have you.

I've always prefered driving to flying when I have time and I love to get off the interstates sometimes and just discover what is out there. That's why I rarely make firm plans when I'm on vacation - I've been known to spot a neat little county park in the mountains and spend a week camped out there and never make it to my original destination... :)

John

That's pretty cool, John, I know what you mean about getting off the interstate and exploring.

I almost did this song for your 12 bar blues season, but that stuff between Amarillo and San Bernadino was killing me. :)

Here's the wiki about Route 66 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66).

strumsilly
09-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Here's a bonus. Dancing in the Moonlight. tried to play the harp at the same time as strumming with mixed effect. BUT "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" so here it is,...
http://youtu.be/7vsJmlNYPzo

myrnaukelele
09-05-2012, 06:52 AM

That was hysterical! Thanks for that bonus- started my day out with a laugh:D

000Kanaka000
09-05-2012, 07:16 AM
* It was a fun song to do and now may do a two-fer song. Will see how it goes. Just listened to your bonus
and i like that song as well.

I love that song, I think I did it for week 4 , many Moons ago. my take was much slower , so I had more time for the chord changes, haha. loved your version ooo.

uke4ia
09-05-2012, 07:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjOXHXIp0M

I just got back from several days in Maine. Here's a moon song while I go look for a number song to do. This is one of my original songs -- the video was made last fall.

000Kanaka000
09-05-2012, 08:09 AM
OK This is a bonus bonus song a Two-Fer - Sorry about the singing not my best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImRNLPagVJg

peewee
09-05-2012, 08:46 AM
For my 1001st post, here's a moon song. Whitey on the Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwkXZ0SmTs) by Gil Scott-Heron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Scott-Heron) ... (album version here)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW4Fv7bs2j8&feature=fvwrel)

The original version is just congas and voice, so I added some cracker boogie chords.

http://youtu.be/YoICDmGdF3k

The entries are piling up, is it time for a playlist?
Thanks Moons.

PS there's a another good reason for the Moon sub theme...this guy died too. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Myung_Moon)

myrnaukelele
09-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Love Potion #9~

http://youtu.be/pkXAnlgVRm0

peewee
09-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Just getting caught up, some great entries, and some first timers, I think too! Welcome.

Eugene : This Old Man – so full of goodness, and raw meat and randy sailors. Beautiful.
Bonus Poem – Naughty Naughty

Ganga K: Blue Suede Shoes, rockin!

Davewave: Love that 60’s psychedelic stuff. Nicely done. Welcome

Redpaul1: nice hat, Kill your Television!

Glass: Wagon Wheel – it’s only half a season without your epicness. All American Road Rock!

UkeyDave: Scientist: nice rhythm section, still wanna see your mug though.

TCK: Red Balloons – anything sounds good after a week of Taylor Swift, I know..soulful top 40 from Cloverdale, with props.

SillyDave: 80 Hillbillies. What a masterpiece, and you navigated that wordy (numbery) song with your usual aplomb. It would be a good Halloween song…

Ganga K: Amore: Such a cheery version! I’m partial to the Australian alternate lyrics “When a glass hits your eye in a pub in Bondi…” the rest is kind of ethnically insensitive.

Strumsilly : Dancing in the Moonlight: nice and relaxed, you’re sounding great!

Uke4ia: Cheshire Cat Moon: Only a bonus, prerecorded, but what a great song. You’re like the J Mascis of the Uke here.

Ganga K: Age of Aquarius: Moon and a number in the first line! Well done. And hey, that’s some real singing.

Myrna: Love Potion #9: Woo hooo Gypsy Myrna. Love this song, and your usual charming rendition.

Where oh where is our resident Math Teacher Ralf?

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-05-2012, 10:24 AM

Have a great trip!

GinnyT11
09-05-2012, 11:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEVb38kk1hk

Heartaches by the Number, my entry for Numbers week because I want to get better, as the other Seasonistas are doing. Please forgive my singing. It's not something I put on my resume.

Hippie Dribble
09-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Here's a bonus. Dancing in the Moonlight. tried to play the harp at the same time as strumming with mixed effect. BUT "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" so here it is,...

really nice job on this one ss. Useless factoid: the guitarist from King Harvest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Harvest), Ed Tuleja, ended up moving to Tasmania a few years ago now. When I recorded an album in 2001, I met him through a mutual friend and he ended up playing lead guitar, mandolin and doing some harmony vocals for me on the record. Lovely guy. Incredible player. Can do anything on a guitar. Loves Bert Jansch like the sunshine.

23skidoo
09-05-2012, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEVb38kk1hk

Heartaches by the Number, my entry for Numbers week because I want to get better, as the other Seasonistas are doing. Please forgive my singing. It's not something I put on my resume.

Ginny, nicely done! And as long as we're talking numbers..... this is the song I'd decided to record - seriously! What are the odds that two people from our little group of Seasonistas would decide to do the same Ray Price song from 1959 - a song most of the others have probably never heard? Especially considering the sheer number of choices (pun intended) with this week's theme.....If I were a betting man, I'd head out and play the lottery.....

GinnyT11
09-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Ginny, nicely done! And as long as we're talking numbers..... this is the song I'd decided to record - seriously! What are the odds that two people from our little group of Seasonistas would decide to do the same Ray Price song from 1959 - a song most of the others have probably never heard? Especially considering the sheer number of choices (pun intended) with this week's theme.....If I were a betting man, I'd head out and play the lottery.....

Thank you! Your words are a balm to my hamster-beating heart. I know you'll do a great rendition of it. Or how about Sixteen Tons? 96 Tears? Eight Miles High?

GinnyT11
09-05-2012, 02:50 PM
For my 1001st post, here's a moon song. Whitey on the Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwkXZ0SmTs) by Gil Scott-Heron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Scott-Heron) ...
The original version is just congas and voice, so I added some cracker boogie chords.

So cool, Peewee, how you can play any rhythm and sing with such ease. I note that for this you used a "whitey" studio decor, compared to your dark background for your numbers song. You must have a stylist in your entourage.

GinnyT11
09-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Love Potion #9~

What a great numbers song, Myrna! You look like you're having so much fun performing, both here and for Buffalo Gals at the State Fair. That quartet has a nice, balanced sound.

Dan Uke
09-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Here is my entry for 29th Season. Its my take on "The Scientist" by Coldplay. The song includes numbers in the lyrics. I've used multi-tracking on this one to include some Djembe drum percussion alongside the obligatory drinking glass and pen. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDElKWzx_Sg

Very cool...I gotta learn multi-tracking! I get confused with you and Ukuleledaveey.

Dan Uke
09-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Love Potion #9~

http://youtu.be/pkXAnlgVRm0

This one is even cooler as you got into the gypsy character! How much for a pint of that love potion? LOL

Dan Uke
09-05-2012, 03:10 PM

Bill, all I need is the over and under for tonite's football game...

myrnaukelele
09-05-2012, 04:04 PM
This one is even cooler as you got into the gypsy character! How much for a pint of that love potion? LOL
Ha! There's actually an alternate ending to this song (which I discovered only after posting this).
"I had so much fun, that I'm going back again,
I wonder what happens with Love Potion Number Ten?"

myrnaukelele
09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
For my 1001st post, here's a moon song. Whitey on the Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwkXZ0SmTs) by Gil Scott-Heron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Scott-Heron) ... (album version here)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW4Fv7bs2j8&feature=fvwrel)

PS there's a another good reason for the Moon sub theme...this guy died too. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Myung_Moon)
That's a great moon tune peewee-loved your version of it. And, as you say, it's a good week to be doing moon tunes :)

myrnaukelele
09-05-2012, 06:47 PM
OK This is a bonus bonus song a Two-Fer - Sorry about the singing not my best.

Welcome to the Seasons~
And, as an Aquarius myself, I must say that the Age of Aquarius is a song that resonates :)

myrnaukelele
09-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Here's a bonus. Dancing in the Moonlight. tried to play the harp at the same time as strumming with mixed effect. BUT "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" so here it is,..
Great version of this song~ makes me want to go outside tonight and dance:)
I almost did Fools Rush In for Heaven and Hell week.

myrnaukelele
09-05-2012, 06:56 PM
I just got back from several days in Maine. Here's a moon song while I go look for a number song to do. This is one of my original songs -- the video was made last fall.
Nice one uke4ia. You've written some great songs. Wish I had that talent.

myrnaukelele
09-05-2012, 06:57 PM
I love that classic country! Really nice version Ginny.

Dan Uke
09-05-2012, 07:22 PM

You got some great songs this week. Never heard the song and it put a big smile on my face!

Tootler
09-06-2012, 01:57 AM
Having trouble keeping up this week. I was shattered after the weekend. (too many late nights - can't keep up the pace these days :( ) Then I had to go across the country yesterday for an aunt's funeral. Sometime, I might catch up with all the entries. There's some pretty good ones so far among those I have listened to.

In the meantime here's a bonus moon song. A Rodgers & Hart classic. I'm surprised no one has come up with it yet.

http://youtu.be/Xbw6RxkHE80

Hippie Dribble
09-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Having trouble keeping up this week. I was shattered after the weekend. (too many late nights - can't keep up the pace these days :( ) Then I had to go across the country yesterday for an aunt's funeral. Sometime, I might catch up with all the entries. There's some pretty good ones so far among those I have listened to.

In the meantime here's a bonus moon song. A Rodgers & Hart classic. I'm surprised no one has come up with it yet.

http://youtu.be/Xbw6RxkHE80

very nice Geoff, always lovely to see a sweet song get a fitting reprise. :)

Hippie Dribble
09-06-2012, 02:08 AM
here's another bonus song for our host. A lovely chestnut that I worked up an instrumental treatment for on the old baritone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geYs-H5E4As

GinnyT11
09-06-2012, 02:48 AM
[QUOTE=eugene ukulele;1038618]here's another bonus song for our host. A lovely chestnut that I worked up an instrumental treatment for on the old baritone...
/QUOTE]

That is a very sweet rendition of a moony tune, Jon. When you say you "worked up an instrumental treatment" for it, it might as well be rocket science or macroeconomics to me. That's another talent you have.

PS--If it's cold, should you be out without a hat? :)

GinnyT11
09-06-2012, 02:51 AM

Fine work, Geoff! You own the old English story tunes, but you do this kind of song nicely, too.

UkeyDave
09-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Very cool...I gotta learn multi-tracking! I get confused with you and Ukuleledaveey.

It's easy Ukuleledaveey is much bigger than me. By four letters. 8-)

glass
09-06-2012, 04:27 AM
here's another bonus song for our host. A lovely chestnut that I worked up an instrumental treatment for on the old baritone...
Nice job Jon!

Dan Uke
09-06-2012, 05:22 AM
Inspired by Austin Powers and Will Smith.

Been so busy this week so not enough practice but I wanted to post so I can work on getting a video out for the winners of Season 28 and want to get in a bonus for the Moon theme!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=072Xc_DQfos&feature=plcp

29moons
09-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Ok I have been very busy but I had some time last night to watch some videos and do some comments.

Love all of the entries and it looks like you guys are having fun with the theme.

Chrimess: Points for first out of the gate with a very creative interpretation. I like that each song corresponded with the number on the list. Also, liked the subdued version of 4 non-blondes because the kids were sleeping. I’m surprised that “One” by U2 went in the first entry but you did it so well. Great job.

Thesillydave: I love the hat. I was brought back to another time because it reminds me of a t.v. show or a movie but I can’t put my finger on it. You really captured the period and made it authentic. I enjoyed it a lot.

WGY: I posted that I have been so busy lately with school, work, family, etc. that I haven’t been able to pay as much attention to this weeks entries as I would like to. But, the real reason I haven’t been on the board is because I am just coming down from the acid trip that your version of Space Oddity put me in. I loved it! I long to be able to use effects as well as you do. Nicely done.

Strumsilly: I love the Rhumba and your Granddaughter, she’s so cute. Playing the cute card and being brave enough to appear without a hair combing. You did a great job and I really enjoyed both of your performamces.

WGY: I love me some blues! Way to go. The spin that you make on your songs is just out there and I love it. Great fell and singing.

Dougf: You have found one of my loves. I am a true fan of the mother road so this song hits home. I live very near the road and actually drive an old piece of it on my way to hockey. You version is both smooth and jazzy. You really took it and made it your own.

Tootler: You make me feel like I’m at the Ren Faire in full regalia. Your entries make me feel like I’m travelling in time. Not back to my childhood but hundreds of years to another time entirely. I look forward to your entries each week and this one delivered. Lord Willoghby on the uke is completely unexpected but you pull it off with your greatstyle and playing.

Erivel: You have found a fellow CSN+Y fan. You pull this off so well. I wish that I could make a uke sing like you do here. Your finger picking and strumming together really put
this over the top. Awesome job.

Peewee: I love the Dead and I do live in NM but I have not been a fan of the Meat Puppets. Never had the exposure except in the early 80’s when I really had little taste in music. That being said, it reminds me of the Dead, with maybe a little bit of Neil Young. I really liked this and want to hear more. Your soft touch and picking was great, it really made it relaxed and made the song.

Myrnaukulele: WOOHOO! That’s just fun. I love that song and you gals did it great. I wish you could play the Corrales Harvest Festival.

Eugene Ukulele: I don’t think any one else has the feel for the uke that you do, you make it look effortless. The fact that you took liberties and threw the number of the week in there is totally cool. You literally made it your own. Getting Izzy involved is the animal kingdom equivalent of pulling the cute card with the kids. Pretty sneaky sis, but you didn’t need it. Great job. Oh! I appreciate the poem too. I wrote one for you but don’t have time to post it here. But, it had something to do with a ukulele, a beanie and a Tasmanian bush.

000Kanaka000: You go mama! That rocks. What a great feeling and groove. I couldn’t help but tap my foot and smile. You had fun so I had fun. Elvis is in the building.

~dave~~wave~: Just when I came back down from WGY’s trip you pull me back like a flashback. Great feeling and strumming, you tagged it. I like the sound of your uke. Great job. Welcome to the seasons, I think you will fit right in and I look forward to seeing more entries.

Redpaul1: I like your style with the moody country singer look. The drone of your strum makes the song and drives it home. Always good to work the number of the week into the song. The lighting is moody and so is the song. Don’t think I didn’t notice the Telecaster sitting over there.

Glass: Always good to see you here. Come and rock me! This song really fits you and you play it well. Your energy comes through and you make it your own. I like the eighties feel that you bring here. I found myself singing it even after I finished watching. Great job Glass.

UkeyDave: I’m not a big Coldplay fan but I like this one and you made it yours. That’s not easy to do. I enjoyed listening and watching your playing. Very moody atmosphere you created but at the same time it’s upbeat, it suits you. Thanks, I really enjoyed it.

TCK: Playing to my love of New Wave are you. I loved this song in High school and still do when it hits me. I like your tempo build up in the middle. You guys take this one and put your own spin on it. plus I like the balloons. Thanks for bringing me back to 1983. I like the cameow appearance at the end.

29moons
09-06-2012, 10:15 AM
I have some prizes on the way but I am not sure how many are being sent. But, it looks like at least 1st prize is going to be a T-shirt provided by Luna Guitars. It's a pretty sweet design. I play a Luna ukulele and since the bonus vids this week are moons it seemed appropriate. I am hoping that I get at least 4 shirts for all the prizes but it wasn't clear how many they are sending.

I want to thank Yvonne at Luna Guitars for providing the shirt(s)

erivel
09-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Here's my bonus track. Keeping up with my CSN&Y theme...here's just Mr. Y. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/-MJH_kXDUrQ

Dan Uke
09-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Here's my bonus track. Keeping up with my CSN&Y theme...here's just Mr. Y. Enjoy!

Hey Eric

Both songs were well played...I liked how you used the harmonics!

Canoe Lady
09-06-2012, 02:40 PM
After a super busy summer, I finally had some time to get back into the seasons and learn a new song. What a fun theme and so many great entries.
Here is my entry, Bruno Mars, Count on Me. Watch for the big bee that flies right into the camera at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tng1NGt_-9c

janeray1940
09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Aw man, looks like another week that I'm not participating. I had all good intentions of doing this song (http://boingboing.net/2009/07/21/official-video-for-8.html)* but time is just not going to allow it to happen - so somebody, please steal my idea!

Is there a YT playlist of this week's entries? If there is, I'm too brain-dead to find it, so many mahalos to whomever can point me in that direction. I'd like to get caught up on all of your entries :)

*It's not singing, it's talking. While I'd be straying from my instrumental-only policy, it would still not technically be singing and my reputation would remain unchanged!

GinnyT11
09-06-2012, 02:50 PM
After a super busy summer, I finally had some time to get back into the seasons and learn a new song. What a fun theme and so many great entries.
Here is my entry, Bruno Mars, Count on Me. Watch for the big bee that flies right into the camera at the beginning.

Diane, that was fantastic! The song's meaning is truly lovely, and you sing beautifully. I like how the light changed on your face, and the background changed behind you. A very nice contribution. Plus, that Moore Bettah has an amazing sound!

Hippie Dribble
09-06-2012, 03:12 PM

stunning D. just the sweetest thang. Beautiful sentiment, superbly performed, everything perfect...and even the hint of a smile at the end too...so lovely mate

erivel
09-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Hey Eric

Both songs were well played...I liked how you used the harmonics!

Thanks Daniel! I really wanted to play this on my concert but couldn't get the harmonics to ring like on my low G tenor.

uke4ia
09-06-2012, 04:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0nVz-r1eKM

This is "Texarkana" by R.E.M. I'm still getting over the bug my daughter brought home from camp -- right now it's a success just to get through a four minute song without having to stop and clear my throat. A virtual cookie to anyone who knows what '80s New Wave band did the bit I threw in at the beginning.

I've been working on "Eleventh Earl of Mar" by Genesis lately, but I don't think I'll have it done this week. I have one idea for a bonus song if time permits, and I have a couple old videos that fit the theme that I might throw in here.

Garydavkra
09-06-2012, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF_X0It691A

This is my attempt at Three Little Birds by Bob Marley. I know it's probably been done a trillion times but, it's the first time that I've done it. Sorry about the not getting my ukulele in there. In case you are curious, it's a Pono acacia baritone. I'll try harder next time.;)

myrnaukelele
09-06-2012, 05:36 PM

Great song! And your playing on this is exquisite.

myrnaukelele
09-06-2012, 05:38 PM

Been so busy this week so not enough practice but I wanted to post so I can work on getting a video out for the winners of Season 28 and want to get in a bonus for the Moon theme!

Nice playing nongcam:)

myrnaukelele
09-06-2012, 05:39 PM

Oh this was just beautiful. Beautiful playing, beautiful singing, beautiful scenery, beautiful uke.

peewee
09-06-2012, 06:37 PM

Beautiful. You've outdone Russbuss in the NY department! Just gorgeous gentle rendition....and I need a version of imovie that will let me add reverb!

thesillydave
09-06-2012, 06:53 PM
here's a bonus moon song from 1928. hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/ObHjOoadxfg

have enjoyed all the songs so far! great job seasonists!

Dan Uke
09-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Really impressed with the intro picking! Great singing and always enjoy your songs!

Dan Uke
09-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Moon Bonus!! I already did Fly me to the Moon for a different season so picked this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R24wuiEK7E&feature=plcp

myrnaukelele
09-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Here's my Moon bonus. I have always loved this song.

http://youtu.be/w22sm8JsEbA
Unfortunately I have a cold so the singing isn't the best.

thesillydave
09-06-2012, 09:24 PM

liked it alot! now on my need to learn list!

myrnaukelele
09-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Moon Bonus!! I already did Fly me to the Moon for a different season so picked this song

Another great moon tune:)
Gotta love those bonus tracks!

erivel
09-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Great song! And your playing on this is exquisite.

Many thanks for your comments!

erivel
09-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Beautiful. You've outdone Russbuss in the NY department! Just gorgeous gentle rendition....and I need a version of imovie that will let me add reverb!

Wow, thank you peewee! I know Russ has done a ton of NY covers, so I appreciate your sentiment! I don't know if iMovie has reverb...but what I did was record my self on GarageBand for the audio and Photo Booth for the video at the same time. Then added the reverb after the fact and edited it in iMovie.

erivel
09-06-2012, 11:05 PM

That was tremendous Jon! Where's your hat BTW? :)

erivel
09-06-2012, 11:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=072Xc_DQfos&feature=plcp

Get down with your funky self Daniel!! Awesome!

erivel
09-06-2012, 11:14 PM

That was a great rendition! That's a fun one. The first time I heard this song was in Maui a couple of years ago played by Derick Sebastian at the Hula Grill.

erivel
09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF_X0It691A

This is my attempt at Three Little Birds by Bob Marley. I know it's probably been done a trillion times but, it's the first time that I've done it. Sorry about the not getting my ukulele in there. In case you are curious, it's a Pono acacia baritone. I'll try harder next time.;)

That song always makes me happy! Nicely done!

erivel
09-06-2012, 11:41 PM

Great tune, love your singing on that one!

erivel
09-06-2012, 11:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0nVz-r1eKM

This is "Texarkana" by R.E.M. I'm still getting over the bug my daughter brought home from camp -- right now it's a success just to get through a four minute song without having to stop and clear my throat. A virtual cookie to anyone who knows what '80s New Wave band did the bit I threw in at the beginning.

I've been working on "Eleventh Earl of Mar" by Genesis lately, but I don't think I'll have it done this week. I have one idea for a bonus song if time permits, and I have a couple old videos that fit the theme that I might throw in here.

New Musik?

erivel
09-06-2012, 11:50 PM

Beautifully done!

uke4ia
09-07-2012, 01:19 AM
New Musik?

Yes, that's it! Have a cookie.

~dave~~wave~
09-07-2012, 04:50 AM
A bonus moon tune.

I wanted to get the moon in the shot, so apologies for the wind noise, as we had a lovely fresh north breeze this morning.

My tribute to Neil Armstrong and the late singer-songwriter John Stewart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8MkZzm15fU

ukuloonie
09-07-2012, 05:34 AM
I had a little spare time so I created a bonus list and a entry list of the participants for this week

Tracks (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjx7j_KctLKLyNgyq3u2rFUb)

Bonus List (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjzYt7bzSRAx3I2AyfJP2GSF)

I have put the links into the master list as well
If I have missed or put someone in a different list Pm me and I will fix it.
Thanks

wee_ginga_yin
09-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Bonus track: By the light of the silvery moon... with extra kazoo... sleazy trombone style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlIS3oJp23c

janeray1940
09-07-2012, 05:46 AM
I had a little spare time so I created a bonus list and a entry list of the participants for this week

Tracks (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjx7j_KctLKLyNgyq3u2rFUb)

Bonus List (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjzYt7bzSRAx3I2AyfJP2GSF)

Thanks

Thank you so much for doing this. I'm looking forward to finally getting caught up :)

ukuleledaveey
09-07-2012, 06:04 AM
http://youtu.be/469hFDr_kdo

many thanks for hosting 29 moons

peewee
09-07-2012, 06:06 AM
That was tremendous Jon! Where's your hat BTW? :)

I always thought Jon must have a top-of-the-head deformity he was trying to hide, I am disappointed.

but what I did was record my self on GarageBand for the audio and Photo Booth for the video at the same time. Then added the reverb after the fact and edited it in iMovie.

Aha! I have messed around with Garage Band + camera, but it's fussy, it never occurred to me to run Photobooth and GB simultaneously. Watch this space for more reverb in the future!

wee_ginga_yin
09-07-2012, 06:29 AM

If Sillydave had not done that Hillbilly song you would have been up there having done the most numbers in a song.
Is that a beret I see before my eyes? Finland play the French tonight in a world cup qualifier at the olympic stadium.

erivel
09-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Yes, that's it! Have a cookie.

Cool! I'll have a virtual chocolate chip!

erivel
09-07-2012, 06:34 AM

Thanks

Thanks for doing this!

ukuloonie
09-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Thanks for doing this!
Anytime.....:)

peewee
09-07-2012, 06:39 AM
So cool, Peewee, how you can play any rhythm and sing with such ease. I note that for this you used a "whitey" studio decor, compared to your dark background for your numbers song. You must have a stylist in your entourage.

Thanks! Actually it's not so simple, I found myself completely unable to do an Annette Funicello Talking-over-chords song for guilty pleasures and the worst is trying to sing Bossa Nova while not tripping up on the rhythm. Not to mention singing over any kind of repetitive riff... Still working on it. As for the backgrounds, it just depends on whether it's day or night..thanks again

here's another obscure Moon song that presents singing cadence challenges despite its simplicity:

http://youtu.be/UKQmWS8p0Tg

peewee
09-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Hope you all don't mind another mass comment message. Some great stuff this week and lots of new (to me anyway) voices.

Anyway, great stuff. Thanks 29moons.

I'm waiting for a few regulars, among them are Mattydee, who seems to believe in actually spending time rehearsing his number each week, and Ralf who must be preparing some trinomial word problem for the occasion...

comments:

GT311 : Heartaches by the Numbers: Your confidence level is increasing! Sounds really good. Don’t worry about the singing. I was watching a clip from Music Man (awful movie) and there’s a line that’s something like “singing is just sustained talking”, so keep that in mind. http://youtu.be/TbBITrZa6Ok

Tootler: Blue Moon: wow, Geoff goes modern! Nice to hear you crooning. Who knew?

Eugene: Paper Moon: What an arrangement, so cool and bluesy. You travel up the neck like you’re strolling through the petunias. but I have to admit I was mostly mesmerized by your hatlessness.

Nongdam: Just the Two of Us: Your usual smooth playing, and then a smooth rap, then the instrumental breakdown.. You are the dude.

Erivel: Harvest Moon: Dah-yumm. Good stuff. Even showboatin’ with the harmonics. Good to see you can pull it off just as well in a single take vid too.

Canoe Lady: Count on Me: That was a great tune and well done, but I was hypnotized by the panoramic background. Nice lake you have there. And welcome, this is your first entry, right?

Uke4ia: Texarkana: You may be the nly person who knows the lyrics to these REM songs! Your riffing among the chords captures the song perfectly

Garydavkra: Three Little Birds: Welcome! Can’t have too much Bob. You have a lovely sonorous voice, interesting to hear a folk-song style treatment of the song.. Thanks.. and I dig the charcoal drawing too.

SillyDave: Get Out Get Under the Moon: Silly like a fox, I say. Nice intro, great song that I didn’t know. Moon - June – Soon, hey where’s my spoon?

Nongdam: Longing to Belong: Nice song choice, I think I like it better without Eddie V’s vocal histrionics (Ducking)

MyrnaU: How High the Moon: What a great song, I like your cold voice, you sound like a congested Marilyn.

Davewave: Armstrong: Great tune, kind of a less angry cousin to Whitey on the Moon. Love your style, looking forward to more entries.

WGY: By the Light of the Silvery Moon: You are the Peppy le pew of Ukulele with those hearts all a flutter. Muy Romantico. Had me laughing 5614 miles away.

UkuleleDaveey: 25 minutes: So well done, relaxed, great pacing and all, it’s a song that requires a little acting, and you are up to the task! So great to see you coming along so much, and I don’t mean that in a patronizing way, I have no illusions as to my own skill level.

Dan Uke
09-07-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm waiting for a few regulars, among them are Mattydee, who seems to believe in actually spending time rehearsing his number each week, and Ralf who must be preparing some trinomial word problem for the occasion...

HAHAHA!!

It wouldn't be a Matty hit unless it sounded like he was performing in front of thousands!! I appreciate the fact that you are giving it your best!! I remember one time there was question about how many ways to play every chord on the uke or something bizarre and Ralf calculated it!!

Peewee you are spot on your assessment!! I am waiting anxiously for these performances as well as all the regulars and newbies!!

Seriously, I look forward to Sat or Sun to see what the next challenge is...and to keep me busy, always looking for bonus songs!!

ukuloonie
09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
I would have had mine in Last night but I was too busy eating hot dogs

Canoe Lady
09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Canoe Lady: Count on Me: That was a great tune and well done, but I was hypnotized by the panoramic background. Nice lake you have there. And welcome, this is your first entry, right?

I have entered a couple of the seasons, before summer got too busy. Eugene's week and the animals week, I believe. I hope to get in a few more now that summer is over <sniff>.
The lake was actually too windy yesterday for me to try to record this out there, so I went into the river that connects our lake with the next one over. That's one of my favorite places, especially where it narrows behind me. Coming through that section at night when there is a full moon is beyond compare.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Great Season, Seasonistas! Thanks for a great theme, 29moons! Thoughts on entries and bonuses from the first ten pages of the thread:

@chrimess (Top 10) Great idea. It's a blast to go on a numerical musical journey with you. Some real surprises on your list, too.

@thesillydave (Button Up Your Overcoat) Aw. But I love meats, sweets, and bootleg hooch. Great old song---sweet version!

@wee_ginga_yin (Space Oddity) Track suit and fez---looking like a healthy Turk. Sounding healthy, too. Plenty of space-y echo. Singing those deep space blues. Nice. (5' 2") Sweet and sad version of a numerical, uke classic. Sounds like you really haven't seen your gal for a while, Rob, and you don't know if she's ever coming back. Sweet. Lovely.

@strumsilly (Numbers Rhumba) Great co-star! Fun for counters of all ages!! Cha cha cha!!!

@Dougf (Route 66) Great version! Sweet melodic movement in your accompaniment, here---and a great chord solo. Woohoo!!

@Tootler (Lord Willoughby's Welcome Home) Each week I get a better sense of English history and spirit from your song. Fun every time.

@erivel (4 + 20) I can do that in my head. 24. Very sweet uke playing here---nice, subtle leads worked into your picking---and great singing, too. Gracias.

@peewee (Oh, Me) Those desert blues licks sound sweet on your baritone uke. Groovy, mellow singing and playing, too. Gracias.

@myrnaukulele (Buffalo Gals) Woohoo!! Fun!!! Thanks for sharing this one.

@eugene ukulele (This Old Man) Fun. Love how you take breaks from singing to jam on the melody with the whistlin' or the uke. Inspirational. Gracias. Woof.

@000Kanak000 (Blue Suede Shoes) Glad you didn't resist your rock and roll urge! Great, infectious spirit here. Fun!

@~dave~~wave~ (In the Year 2525) A psychedelic six-string tremolo uke jam! Yep, that's what I like. Thanks!

@redpaul1 (57 Channels and Nothin On) Your uke playing makes this one sound punk. Cool.

@glass (Wagon Wheel) Your version sounds more southern rock than roots music. Cool.

@UkeyDave (The Scientist) Love that conga and shaker. And the glass. Sweet one.

@TCK (99 Red Balloons) Love that German new wave! I'm always surprised at how this one gets to me. Great melody. The Cloverdale crew does it justice, for sure. (I do wish there were 94 more red balloons in this shot, though.)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-07-2012, 11:50 AM
The first number song that came to mind...

http://youtu.be/Xu-2U7hHaK4

thesillydave
09-07-2012, 12:10 PM

nice picking break! great version of the femmes!

Dan Uke
09-07-2012, 12:14 PM

Wow Ralf...that was Violent!! a little scary...the last song you did was Good Time and now Violent Femmes. Glad to see that you are a versatile performer

Dan Uke
09-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Nongdam: Just the Two of Us: Your usual smooth playing, and then a smooth rap, then the instrumental breakdown.. You are the dude.

Thanks...wish I had more time as I didn't memorize the instrumental well and quoting T.S. Eliot ended the song "Not with a bang but a whimper"

I was thinking of you as I was writing the words for the rap and used Adieu...whenever I use any French words know that I'm thinking of you! Whenever I use Spanish, I'll be thinking of Dougf! LOL

ksiegel
09-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Okay, I finally had a chance to do one - two actually, so here's my entry:

Based on the traditional fiddle tune "The Eighth of January", here is Jimmy Driftwood's "The Battle of New Orleans".

To any of the British UU members, please take no offense: Remember, the winners write the history books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wfxUyNoy4o

-Kurt

Dan Uke
09-07-2012, 12:55 PM
This is my entry, it includes my wonderful wife.
It's called Seven is the number of the Man by Dave carter & Tracy Grammar from there album SNAKE HANDLIN' MAN

http://youtu.be/Z6BTW9TiW2s

I love watching videos where you get your family involved!! Your wife has a great voice and it's nice to have harmonies...who needs multi-tracking when you got a great person to sing with you!!

ksiegel
09-07-2012, 01:11 PM
AAAAaaannndddd...

Here's my bonus track for the week.

It is a Tom Waits song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlZo6pmpQ9M

-Kurt

uke4ia
09-07-2012, 01:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5tu6r9BH4I

I'm not sure if we can post number songs as bonus songs, or just moon songs. This is a version of Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" I did last year as an in-joke for my co-workers. The lyrics are about that a Town water supply can get a "monitoring waiver" to not have to test for some chemicals as often, if those chemicals have never been detected in the water and there's no businesses using that chemical near the supply.

ukuleledaddy
09-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Ralf, what a great song for numbers week! You never fail to impress. This sounds great on the uke.

BTW, The Fruitloops are practicing Blister In The Sun and Prove Your Love. Love the Violent Femmes.

ukuleledaddy
09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Found a few minutes to get this done today. WARNING: I say a very bad word in this song so keep your kids away!!!!!!!!
Great theme 29Moons! This is a song about people who work with numbers every day by the great Todd Snider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiqncsZR59c&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA&index=1&feature=plcp

GinnyT11
09-07-2012, 02:38 PM
This is my entry, it includes my wonderful wife.
It's called Seven is the number of the Man by Dave carter & Tracy Grammar from there album SNAKE HANDLIN' MAN

That was very, very nice! I think you would be well served to bring your wife to future recording sessions, as she added a lot with her singing.

GinnyT11
09-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Found a few minutes to get this done today. WARNING: I say a very bad word in this song so keep your kids away!!!!!!!!
Great theme 29Moons! This is a song about people who work with numbers every day by the great Todd Snider.

A very funny song, and snappily rendered, sir!

Brings to mind the oft-repeated quote, attributed to Mark Twain: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

GinnyT11
09-07-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure if we can post number songs as bonus songs, or just moon songs. This is a version of Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" I did last year as an in-joke for my co-workers. The lyrics are about that a Town water supply can get a "monitoring waiver" to not have to test for some chemicals as often, if those chemicals have never been detected in the water and there's no businesses using that chemical near the supply.

How imaginative! You are quite the songwriter. Is this the business you work in?
I know you like '80s rock a lot, but you do very well with this song, which I think is closer to pop.

uke4ia
09-07-2012, 03:32 PM
How imaginative! You are quite the songwriter. Is this the business you work in?
I know you like '80s rock a lot, but you do very well with this song, which I think is closer to pop.

Yes, I work in the water supply field. I was a teenager in the '70s when "50 Ways" was a hit. It has some fun chord changes to play. I had to look a couple of the chords up.

G6 D Cmaj7 B7-9 B7

Em D#dim7 F#dim7 Baug

Em D C B7

Em Am7 Em

CHORUS :

G Bb C G

ukuloonie
09-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Seven is a number of a man by Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer
from the album 'Snake handlin' man'

http://youtu.be/ANr7oWfUses

Garydavkra
09-07-2012, 03:56 PM

UkuleleDaveey, you are the best! :bowdown::bowdown: I think that song has more numbers than any other song I've heard. I can't even count that high! I thought the hanging politician at the end was a nice touch.

peewee
09-07-2012, 03:59 PM

Woohoo, Ralf goes negative! So great. I was harmonizing on the "yeah-yeah, do it all the time" fantastic.

TCK
09-07-2012, 04:24 PM
God I wanted to do this one, and Day After Day as a medley, quickly scrapped when I realized what the lyrics might do for my legend status at work. Was so hoping someone would do it, and you did the heck out of it.
As for 99 Balloons...another idea quickly scrapped at a $1.99 a piece ;)

myrnaukelele
09-07-2012, 04:47 PM

This is a perfect song for numbers week...and perfectly played. Nice one:)

thesillydave
09-07-2012, 07:34 PM
next in the series of my many moon bonus songs....from the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah band...tubas in the moonlight....hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/DFpEnR7gL6s

peewee
09-07-2012, 08:04 PM
next in the series of my many moon bonus songs....from the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah band...tubas in the moonlight....hope you enjoy!

Best bit so far!

Such a song, such a rendition, mouth tuba, it's a seasons first! Genius.
Most of all thanks for inspiring me to watch the BDDD Band do this tune. So great: http://youtu.be/qm0a7btAtsI
I thank you from the bottom of my shallow Spike Jones and Monty Python damaged heart.

peewee
09-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Seven is a number of a man by Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer
from the album 'Snake handlin' man'
http://youtu.be/ANr7oWfUses
You two loonies sound great together, and what a beautiful song too! Thanks for that, oh and it had lots of #'s too.

ukuloonie
09-07-2012, 08:14 PM
You two loonies sound great together, and what a beautiful song too! Thanks for that, oh and it had lots of #'s too.
Thankyou Peewee for your comment,

erivel
09-07-2012, 09:12 PM

Ralf,
This takes me back to high school circa '84. Loved this album! Great lead in the middle there too!

wee_ginga_yin
09-07-2012, 10:33 PM

That second mouth tuba solo would have Leon Rebone rolling on the floor kicking up his heels in a fit of jealousy.
Somebody has to propose a Bonzo season since the Dog's did so many crazy numbers "Urban spaceman"
"Let kill all the beautiful people" etc. It would also be an excuse for dressing up.

wee_ginga_yin
09-07-2012, 10:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiqncsZR59c&list

Statistics are like bikinis... what they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ukuleledaveey
09-07-2012, 11:23 PM
here is a little bonus entry of sorts,it is not a new recording and some have seen it before and its not about moons, but it is appropriate for Neil Armstrong.
Sorry I havent left any comments on entries, busy week uke wise this week, gigs at old folks homes,practice for a wedding we are playing it (sounds a bit yoda that last bit !!!) and we are playing at a local music festival today in the middle of some beautiful forest that used to belong to Henry VIII.
Will try my hardest to go through the entries tonight/tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback on my entry,always gratefully and humbly your uke'in Pal Daveey :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PAmeXclETk&feature=plcp

Hippie Dribble
09-08-2012, 01:39 AM
24 hours to go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VA_8kZvbgA

TCK
09-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Jon, that was AWESOME. My favorite thing ever.
Also made me realize I forgot to drop this over here
Hey Ho- Let's Go
She's the One...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lP45FeV3N8&list=UU1xday0NyeuItGfSKVnR8-w&index=2&feature=plcp

J-Peg
09-08-2012, 05:20 AM
Here's a bonus track while I'm working on my numbers song. It's a Nanci Griffith song called "Once In A Very Blue Moon."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-rRhP9Arpg&feature=youtu.be

fitncrafty
09-08-2012, 05:26 AM

I haven't been able to follow all of the Seasons.. but I popped on to listen to some tunes on here.. LOVE it.. you did a fantastic job translating this to uke, but best of all you look like you are having so much fun! Thanks for putting a smile on my face this am!!

ukuloonie
09-08-2012, 05:32 AM
for those who missed the earlier post here is the track list so far for this season of 'Numbers' and 'the Moon'
Bonus (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2KRjzUywxjzYt7bzSRAx3I2AyfJP2GSF)

filipinouker
09-08-2012, 05:47 AM
Tea For Two

My humble contribution to the 29th season of the ukulele. I've not done this before, so I'm feeling rather shy and embarrassed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scpYEfJtHkY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ukuloonie
09-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Tea For Two

My humble contribution to the 29th season of the ukulele. I've not done this before, so I'm feeling rather shy and embarrassed.

Sounds very nice to me, look forward to more.;)

uke4ia
09-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Somebody has to propose a Bonzo season since the Dog's did so many crazy numbers "Urban spaceman"
"Let kill all the beautiful people" etc. It would also be an excuse for dressing up.

I could go for that, though it won't be the Week 31 theme. This is another moon song, from a solo album by Bonzo sax player Roger Ruskin Spear:
All by Yourself in the Moonlight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUtcEgyg0XA)

ukuleledaddy
09-08-2012, 07:07 AM
24 hours to go...

Fantastic Jon! Love me some Ramones brother. I wish I could have gotten that t-shirt to you sooner. It's in the mail!

ukuleledaddy
09-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Jon, that was AWESOME. My favorite thing ever.
Also made me realize I forgot to drop this over here
Hey Ho- Let's Go
She's the One...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lP45FeV3N8&list=UU1xday0NyeuItGfSKVnR8-w&index=2&feature=plcp

Dave, great one. I love the story too. Wish I had thought of that for my wedding.

GinnyT11
09-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Tea For Two

filipinouker, I know very well about feeling shy about performing, but after you've done it once, there is a great feeling of satisfaction for beating the nervousness.

The song was a good match for your voice and your singing and playing were charming. Please come back soon and often with more videos.

uke4ia
09-08-2012, 08:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMXRdTW4XEE

I've had a lot of fun playing this song the last two days.

filipinouker
09-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Sounds very nice to me, look forward to more.;)

Thank you, Ukuloonie

filipinouker, I know very well about feeling shy about performing, but after you've done it once, there is a great feeling of satisfaction for beating the nervousness. The song was a good match for your voice and your singing and playing were charming. Please come back soon and often with more videos.

Really appreciate the encouragement and kind words GT3T11. It took me AGES to get myself to do it! Sweaty palms!

J-Peg
09-08-2012, 10:03 AM
All things considered, 29 seemed to be the obvious number to go with here. So here's my version of Willie Dixon's "29 Ways."

Actually it's more like my version of Marc Cohn's version of Willie Dixon's "29 Ways."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZAukj_OvRE&feature=youtu.be

UkeyDave
09-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Tea For Two

Yay well done. Sweetly sung. Welcome to the seasons. Look forward to seeing more from you.

The Ukelites
09-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Hi Seasonistas and Seasonists!
We're back from holiday and playing a few gigs and we really missed the seasons a lot!
Here's our entry, we wondered why no one did it before :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T3w3MqXcQY

ukuloonie
09-08-2012, 10:42 AM
:shaka:..............

JohnnyDanger
09-08-2012, 11:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u33kScxbDq8

ukuleledaveey
09-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Tea For Two

Great job, lovley playing and a lovely sweet voice, really enjoyed listening to your track, hope you come back for future weeks, they are a great bunch here and do wonders for confidence, really enjoyed it and look forward to hearing more from you.

ukuleledaveey
09-08-2012, 11:16 AM
We're back from holiday and playing a few gigs and we really missed the seasons a lot!

Great to see you back, we have missed you around here, I was only thinking today wondering where are the marvellous Ukelites and now your here welcome back :)

23skidoo
09-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Been a hectic couple of days, but Alan/decaturcomp and I had a chance to get together last night for a little strummage. Here's our stab at Townes Van Zandt's gospel tune 'Two Hands'. Not being a religious person, I find myself drawn to gospel songs written by secular musicians - especially the 'school of hard knocks' guys like TVZ.... something very poignant about this tune written by someone who ended up drinking himself to death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7uW3Nl59M8

thanks - looking forward to catching up with the rest of the entries this weekend....

The Ukelites
09-08-2012, 11:45 AM
All things considered, 29 seemed to be the obvious number to go with here. So here's my version of Willie Dixon's "29 Ways."

Actually it's more like my version of Marc Cohn's version of Willie Dixon's "29 Ways."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZAukj_OvRE&feature=youtu.be

Cool Song! Great choir, love the video!

000Kanaka000
09-08-2012, 11:47 AM
There are certainly a lot of different styles in the mix on this forum. Something for everyone for sure.

The Ukelites
09-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Been a hectic couple of days, but Alan/decaturcomp and I had a chance to get together last night for a little strummage. Here's our stab at Townes Van Zandt's gospel tune 'Two Hands'. Not being a religious person, I find myself drawn to gospel songs written by secular musicians - especially the 'school of hard knocks' guys like TVZ.... something very poignant about this tune written by someone who ended up drinking himself to death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7uW3Nl59M8

thanks - looking forward to catching up with the rest of the entries this weekend....

Great vocal harmonies! Like like like!

thesillydave
09-08-2012, 11:53 AM
24 hours to go...

as always! great song jon!

thesillydave
09-08-2012, 11:55 AM

wow! really cool effects!

thesillydave
09-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Tea For Two

must have missed this one....very nice rendition! welcome to the seasons!

ukuleledaddy
09-08-2012, 12:12 PM

And so it begins.......... Enjoy being hooked Johnny! This forum just got much more interesting. Welcome!!!!!!! That was stupendous! Marvelous! Superb!

And where did you get that hat?

thesillydave
09-08-2012, 12:13 PM

you're back! woohoo! nice!

thesillydave
09-08-2012, 12:17 PM

ahh...another silly uker! nice job! loved the "y'all" at the end! welcome to the seasons!

thesillydave
09-08-2012, 12:19 PM

really nice job! very professional recording set up...i am jealous!

ukuleledaveey
09-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Well guys 'n Gals, hade a great day at the woodfest, wish our set had been longer, beautiful weather and copious amounts of real ale, i only had 2 pints (Honest). Anyway here is my feedback on the songs so far.

Chrimmes : Wow man you sure know how to rock the uke, hard and slow, you are a great player mate,I'm not much of a U2 fan, but you played and sung it so well, although i would of loved to of heard 666 number of the beast :) Surely it cant be to long till you get to wear the yellow jersey of the seasons comp.

The SillyDave - Button up your overcoat : lovely, lovely lovely, we play this at our club was in our set list today, but your vwersion is real sweet and smooth, a different arrangement to what I play, but i like this and need to learn it, you are giving Doug F a run for that jazz style, but you are the king of cool, well done mate.

Strumsilly : Fantastic mate and your grand daughter is soooo cute :) a lovely happy tune, i hadnt heard this before, it was great, really enjoyed it, you guys were great together, was fun to watch and really enjoyed it.

Wee-Ginga-Yin : WOWSERS!!!!! i love this song and now i love your wee-ginga stylee, it totally gives this song a whole new twist, beautiful,melancholic and haunting, you know you are so good as you have your own style of playing which a unique gift and one i wish i could acquire, mate you are rapidly gaining cult status, i did say cult honest he he he, anyway an absolute belter well done mate.

DougF - Route 66 : I knew we were in for a treat once i saw that shoulder just itching to start jumping, lovely setting and boy you are a cool cat doug, really enjoyed this, absolutlery swinging mate, always try to study your chord movements, but to no avail,would love to see a duo of you and The sillyDave, now that would be so cool and smooth ,anyway awesome job mate.

Tootler : Absolutely great to see you become a regular Geoff, you have become the seasons very own cecil sharpe (hope i have the name right) great little ditty there mate,really enjoyed it lovely playing and singing mate,another fine entry.

Erivel : Wow that uke sounds beautiful and you play it so well,love your technique was a joy to listen to and love your singing to a really sweet voice mate, absolutely fantastic, sort of lost for words what to write, im listening to the song again now, it is just pure bliss, thanks for sharing with us.

Peewee - Oh,Me :I love this so much, that Bari sounds so good and really nice vocals listening to this sort of reminds me of Nirvana unplugged (thats a compliment) really really love listening to this, such a great version mate, you are rapidly becoming one of the heavyweights of the seasons comp, keep up the excellent work mate.

EugeneUkulele : wow alot of top notch performances this week, always something from the top draw from you Jon, beautiful picking, you also are so lucky to have your own style,a lovely foot thumping little ditty, really love it, its getting so hard to find new words for awesomeness when it comes to your performances, well done mate,loved it.

Davewave : Hi and welcome to the seasons always great to see new faces, wow that was a trippy video, a good song choice, like your voice and lovely strumming, a nice job mate and look forward to seeing you in future weeks, your voice kind of reminds me of Roy Orbison, well done mate

RedPaul1 : Another new contestant, so welcome aboard the seasons, a dark and brooding video, i have never heard that song before, so always good to experience new songs, some nice sliding bar chords, well done mate.

Glass : Yeah another seasons Legend, and doing another of one of my fave songs and another uker who is blessed with there own style which is the golden ingredient, loved this mate, great playing mate and cool singing and really enjoy listening to this, well done mate.

UkeyDave : Not really a coldplay fan, great mixing and editing skills mate, had to laugh though at the suggestive hand movements when shaking the egg he he he im a naughty boy, loved the drumming and great uke playing and really well sung mate , a joy to listen to, well done fella.

TCK : Well my man a awesome job done by yourself and Mel and loved the ballons, lovely playing mate and i really dig your singing mate, wow this song takes me back to school days and i remember 99 Luftballons by Nena and those armpits lol, i guess i always will remember this song ,cos some lad at school copied a computer game for me on a audio tape, yes kids computer software used to be on tapes and the tape he used was a copy of 99 ballons. Great job as usual from you mate, and i love how you have so much passion for the seasons comp mate you to are a legend on here.

000Kanaka000: Absolutely fantastic to see you taking part in the seasons comp see i told you would fit right in here, always great to see a baritone player and boy you play that bari really well, and you have a fab singing voice, love listening to you, a top entry and a real toe tapper, look forward to seeing you take part in future weeks, well done a great job.

MyrnaUkulele : loved your video setting and costume, a great tune, reaqlly well played and as i always say you have a great voice, a joy to listen to, always look forward to your entry,awesome.

GT3T11 : Great job Ginny, good to see you coming back each week and your confidence is definitely showing, way to go girl. really enjoyed this song, great strumming and really nice singing, top job, i dont think i have heard this song before,that is one of the many bonuses of the seasons hearing songs that we are unfamiliar with. Keep the songs coming your doing really well .

Nongdam : wow lovely strumming on this, good raping to, a top notch effort well done mate, nice vocal range, lovely choice of song as well.

CanoeLady : Nice setting, a lovely song, not familiar with this tune, really well played and sweet vocals, you have a lovely voice, well done and good to see you back taking part in all this madness.

Uke4ia : Another seasons legend and another one who has there own style, damn i am so jealous of you guys, great song mate, love the vocals at the start , great playing mate and sung with emotion top draw job mate well done.

GaryDavkra : great to see you coming back mate, well done a really nice take on this classic tune, a nice mellow soulful version, really enjoyed it, really nice constant rhythmic strumming and great soulful ,heartfelt singing, to my untrained ears almost has a gospel sort of tinge to it, could imagine your version being played in church (that a complement), anyway great job mate.

Theonlyukethatmatters : awesome mate another of the legendary heavyweights of the seasons, that uke sounds lovely, really nice strumming and great vocals as ever by you mate, really love listening to this and boy that picking was sublime mate, fantastic job mate as you entries always are.

Ksiegel : As a brit i can forgive you he he he, i love this song actually, really well played mate a fantastic job, loved the picking,sounded so good well sung as well mate a joy to listen to, great job.

Ukuloonie : I always look forward to your entry, i think you are a bit of a stealth contestant, you should be in the upper echelons of the seasons heavyweights, love your playing Drew and you have a really good singing voice it is a joy to listen to, beautiful harmonising with your wife it sounded so good mate, a beautiful song one of my faves of this week.

J-peg : another heavyweight uker of the seasons, wow what a awesome video and amazing harmonies, great playing and top singing and amazing video and editing skills im so jealous, awesome entry.

The Ukelites : Yaaay great to see you guys back,we have missed you around here, and also a return of another heavyweight contender in the seasons , always great playing and fantastic vocals, always a highlight of the week to watch and listen to your latest tune as you never fail to deliver, welcome home guys and fab entry, and i used your idea of the foil heating blanket in my entry.

Ukuleledaddy : great song mate, good strong vocals and lovely strumming, i have never heard this song before,but it is really good, i love it, you have done a great job here mate, well done.

JohhnyDanger : I thought it was johhny depp from willy wonka when the video 1st started he he he, always a treat to hear a bit of python, trying to work out your accent where are you from, oh i forgot to say welcome aboard this crazy train of the seasons, well strummed and well sung mate, good job.

23skidoo : wow wow wow, i love this so much, and my fave song of the week, as you play the music that really turns my buttons lol, you two sound so good together, great playing, top notch playing and really really good vocals, and boy that harmonica sounded so good, i could listen to this all night, wish i could jam with you boys but i aint in your league, always look forward to your entry mate. And sorry for the result against liverpool last week.

Going through all these songs tonight, some in fact ALL are of a really high standard guys 'n gals you have done a amazing job, thanks for introducing me to new songs i hadnt heard and for your amazing uke skills, and now i gotta burn my ukes cos i will never be that good he he he.

Thanks for all the positive feedback and uke love that you all spread throughout this Nirvana we call UU and the seasons, cheers all.

OldePhart
09-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Hey, Jon, don't look now but those black round things on your wall are multiplying...what kind of alien gizmos are those, anyway?

24 hours to go...