Hey guys! Need help!

Arlene

Reaction score
Hello! First off, my name is Arlene, and I am new to this site. I need some major help with a tuning problem. I've been learning to play ukulele for about a month now. I have Aloha Oe down, and I was learning Somewhere Over the Rainbow. One thing I have always been perfect about is tuning, that is until a friend brought her know-it-all boyfriend over last night. He's one of those metal heads that thinks he can play guitar, and is some kind of music genius. The truth is, he's not. He's a dirty, 28 year old drunk that still lives with his parents and has no job. Anyway, when they came over, my ukulele was on the couch. He picked it up and strummed it a few times, and then said it was out of tune (it wasn't). I told him to leave it alone that it was fine. Of course, he didn't listen, and before I could stop him he started turning the pegs and strumming it. The damage was already done, so I let him mess around with it, and figured I would just tune it again after he left. He must've been strumming on it for about an hour, and he was playing like you would metal music, fast and hard. They ended up leaving, and I went to go re-tune the ukulele. No matter what I did, this ukulele will not go back into tune. The tuner is saying it's perfect, but it's not. Its sounds very flat, and the notes are definitely off. I thought perhaps my house was too noisy, so I went out in the car to tune it, where it was dead quiet. ( I live in the woods.) The tuner still said it was tuned perfectly, so I went in the house and grabbed a different tuner, then back out to the car, and it still said tuned perfectly. I had put new strings on my ukulele about 2 weeks ago. They were Martin brand, and everything was fine. Since having this tuning problem, I thought maybe the drunk metalhead ruined the strings, so I went and got new strings (again) and tried that. Nothing is working. The tuner says it's fine, but it's not. I looked for damage, and I can't find any. I'm at a loss for what the problem can be. It's a cheap uke, Rogue brand, it's a soprano and I tune it normally, GCEA. Any ideas as to what the issue it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time :)

This is a type of person that deserves a beat down simply because it's Saturday... Or Tuesday.

Anyway... Normally, hard playing would not cause a uke, or guitar, much problems. Because this instrument is in the lower end of quality there could be a couple of issues..

First, when you changed the strings, did you do them one at a time or remove all four strings then replace?
if something was broken, having all strings off or very loose could allow the damaged part to simply fall off. Also after allowing the new string to stretch, re-tune. Is the uke holding the tune?

1. The nut at the top of the fretboard. Is it loose? Can you slide it, with difficulty, from side to side?

2. The bridge. Two things here... Like the nut, can it be moved? The top surface around the uke... Is the wood depressed in any way?

3. At the 12th fret, how high are the strings from the fretboards? Ideally, it should be about 1/8-3/16th of an inch. If its 1/4 inch or more, there's a problem.

Trying to diagnose with actually looking and playing the uke is extremely difficult at best. Start with these points and we'll go from there.

:)

Yes. A beat down might do him well. When I changed the strings, I went over the ukulele as thoroughly as possible. After not being able to get it correctly tuned, I thought many of the same things you did. That something broke, something I didn't notice. I cannot find anything wrong with it, and it was working surprisingly well for a cheap uke before he touched it. I did just notice something on my tuner, it's set at 440ghz. That's what it's always been on, I believe, since I never touched it, then again the tuner was on my coffee table when he playing around with it. I've literally been messing around with this since last night. I fell asleep eventually, woke up, shoved food in my mouth and I've been trying to figure this out since. It's driving me nuts! This was like my new, fun, hobby that I was quite excited about!

Can strings, when played hard and fast, become worn out?

Like you I'm a newbie but that is the first thing that popped into my head.

I'm sure a more senior member will be along with a better answer.

Edited to add;
I see one has.

Last edited:
Pretty sure....

Yes. I'm pretty sure they can, but maybe after months of playing, not 2 weeks. I only changed the strings because I was having such a hard time, but that didn't fix the problem either.

Hi Arlene, welcome to UU. Sorry you are having trouble. These thing are supposed to be fun! Try going to this site and tuning by ear to the tones generated when you mouse over the notes. If your uke is way off, sometimes the electronic tuner gets confused. Then fine tune it with the tuner. Hope this helps.
https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/e-tuner/default.asp

Bill

I double checked the 12th fret!

Just to be sure, I double checked the 12th fret with a ruler. It is exactly 3/16ths, which is what it should be correct?

This is a type of person that deserves a beat down simply because it's Saturday... Or Tuesday.

Anyway... Normally, hard playing would not cause a uke, or guitar, much problems. Because this instrument is in the lower end of quality there could be a couple of issues..

First, when you changed the strings, did you do them one at a time or remove all four strings then replace?
if something was broken, having all strings off or very loose could allow the damaged part to simply fall off. Also after allowing the new string to stretch, re-tune. Is the uke holding the tune?

1. The nut at the top of the fretboard. Is it loose? Can you slide it, with difficulty, from side to side?

2. The bridge. Two things here... Like the nut, can it be moved? The top surface around the uke... Is the wood depressed in any way?

3. At the 12th fret, how high are the strings from the fretboards? Ideally, it should be about 1/8-3/16th of an inch. If its 1/4 inch or more, there's a problem.

Trying to diagnose with actually looking and playing the uke is extremely difficult at best. Start with these points and we'll go from there.

Just to be sure, I double checked the 12th fret with a ruler. It is exactly 3/16ths, which is what it should be correct?

The 12th fret string action is very personal to every individual which for a Soprano, I find that 3/16" is way too high. A good starting point is anywhere from 2.5mm to 3.5mm is comfortable. 3/16" is 4.75mm (searched on google):)

TY!

I don't really think I can do much about that. Eventually, I'm going to buy a better uke, but not until I learn some things! So my little Rogue is going to have to tough it out! ;)

The 12th fret string action is very personal to every individual which for a Soprano, I find that 3/16" is way too high. A good starting point is anywhere from 2.5mm to 3.5mm is comfortable. 3/16" is 4.75mm (searched on google):)

Perhaps the tuner is saying G. When it appears in tune, but is actually in low G. If you tighten through the letters to G again to get high G it may be back in tune for you. Also, make sure none of your tuners are loose or slipping. Hope that helps. I think your strings are probably fine. Btw I have had this feeling before. No fun. Best of luck.

Good Point!

Good point! I hadn't thought of that! It does sound low!

Perhaps the tuner is saying G. When it appears in tune, but is actually in low G. If you tighten through the letters to G again to get high G it may be back in tune for you. Also, make sure none of your tuners are loose or slipping. Hope that helps. I think your strings are probably fine. Btw I have had this feeling before. No fun. Best of luck.

Thanks guys!

Hey, I just want to thank everyone who offered advice! I still have no idea what the issue is, but I got it in tune last night! I really wish I knew what I did! If I figure it out, I'll let you all know! Thanks for being awesome! :)

Glad you got it worked out Arlene.....and next time, walk over to this 28 year old child and say "GIVE ME MY UKULELE OR LEAVE MY HOUSE (use of expletives is optional, but recommended)". I am sorry to be so blunt but I am just sick of little boys like this treating women like trash......that is your ukulele and you said put it down. If he can't honor your possessions in your house, then he can leave.

OK, rant over....sorry, back to ukulele now....

:)

LOL. I think the use of expletives and perhaps and good hit to the jaw would be aproppiate. He's not my favorite person and the only reason I tolerate him is because my friend is all gung ho about him. ( No clue why. He really is a jerk.)

Glad you got it worked out Arlene.....and next time, walk over to this 28 year old child and say "GIVE ME MY UKULELE OR LEAVE MY HOUSE (use of expletives is optional, but recommended)". I am sorry to be so blunt but I am just sick of little boys like this treating women like trash......that is your ukulele and you said put it down. If he can't honor your possessions in your house, then he can leave.

OK, rant over....sorry, back to ukulele now....

I will heed your advice Arlene... and never.. never .. never... lend my Uke to an unknown quantity... Happy plunking :)

Gosh! Can't stand people who have no respect for other's belongings! Happy to hear the problem got resolved though. If I were you, I'd hide the uke next time he comes around. It's no fun having to go through this!
About the strings, maybe his hard strumming over-stretched and damaged the strings? And when you put new ones on they were taking a couple of days to stretch into position? Guitar players who are used to steel strings tend to pick or strum way too hard on ukuleles if they haven't played them before. Drunk or not ;)

Top Bottom