Who's going to the Wine Country Ukulele Festival?

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Are you going? If you're going, are you planning to play at the Saturday evening "Last Stage out of Town" open mic at Gott's Roadside/Taylor's Refresher? (Yes, this year it's on Saturday evening, not Sunday evening.) Are you interested in seeing how many UUers we can gather in one place at one time (maybe lunchtime on Saturday)? What workshops have you signed up for? What ukulele(s) are you planning to bring with you? Are you going to be shopping for an ukulele, either from one of the vendors or from the consignment stand? Inquiring minds want to know!

Are you going? If you're going, are you planning to play at the Saturday evening "Last Stage out of Town" open mic at Gott's Roadside/Taylor's Refresher? (Yes, this year it's on Saturday evening, not Sunday evening.) Are you interested in seeing how many UUers we can gather in one place at one time (maybe lunchtime on Saturday)? What workshops have you signed up for? What ukulele(s) are you planning to bring with you? Are you going to be shopping for an ukulele, either from one of the vendors or from the consignment stand? Inquiring minds want to know!

I just logged on to start this very thread!

I'll be there again! I cut back on workshops this year to socialize more, plus last year I was a little overwhelmed with info. Wanted to bring the uke I made but it's still out of commission with bridge problems that I haven't had time to fix. I'll probably bring my Kamaka HF-3. Can't remember all the classes. But I believe I signed up for fretboard roadmap course and slack key guitar with Daniel Ho.

I'll probably sport a UU shirt on Saturday so please stop me and say hi (mds725 already knows what I look like).

-Gary

OK...so I went last year and I was shocked. Not a single person was jamming. I ain't the kind to learn anything from workshops, but for god sake folks, take out your ukes and play them! I sat in front of the food cart and played for hours last year, trying to coax the throngs of folks heading that way into playing, and got nothing (well, I did get compliments...which is pretty crazy).
This year, if you see me- I demand you teach me a song.
Although there are few promises on going, I figure it will happen.
I will see you all there.

Boy I wish that I could attend one of these festivals. Wrong coast again.:)

I'm going and looking forward to it. Signed up for three classes, so I will be kind of busy...but looking forward to meeting people, seeing all the wonderful venders and jamming at lunchtime, if I still have energy. Haven't decided about Saturday night yet...

I signed up for eight workshops, three of which are two-parters (fretboard roadmaps, chord melodies, and my three strums) as well as improvisation with Daniel Ho and diminished returns). I know I'm going to be too busy to watch any of the performances, but I was hoping at the time I signed up to cram as much learning into the weekend as I could. (I'm not sure I'd do that again if given the choice!) I may perform at the open mic on Saturday night with the San Francisco Ukulele Rebellion meetup group. I hope to see/meet a bunch of UUers.

Uke Leash has a booth again this year, so we will be there both days. We will be at Grotts too (glad you mentioned it is on Saturday this year). My husband is still working on what songs to perform. We have some new products added to our booth, and a larger table to accomodate them, so drop by and see the new stuff.

–Lori

I'll be there Saturday, and hopefully we'll be able to stay for Gott's afterwards. See you guys there.

I'll be there. I'll have a stall, will do a set on Sunday afternoon and give 4 workshops. I think it is going to be a busy weekend. Please come and say hello.

I'll be there on Saturday. I'm signed up for G Ross--'Jive' and 'Swing' (hoping that my sense of rhythm improves); D Ho--Improv and P Hemmings--chord melodies. I hope I have time to stop by Gott's before heading home. It will be good to meet some of the Bay Area UUers. I'm also looking forward to talking with Gordon/Char about my soon to be started MM baritone.

Hey!!!! I'll be there, too! One day, I may actually get to take one of the workshops. For now I have to settle for having the musicians rehearsing in my backyard while I ply them with pizza and wine....and that's not bad.

If you've got any ukuleles looking for a new home, you might want to bring them along.......we'll have our Festival Flea Market! up and running again.

My son, Taylor, will be "manning" the Kani-Ka-Pila booth and will have lots of great stuff for sale, including our new neck-tie ukestraps (100% silk.) And we'll have the glass slides available for folks taking Fred's slide ukulele class. And, of course, Taylor's fabulous da kine line fluorocarbon strings! (I've got to change that photo of him on the website! He turned 17 yesterday and will be going to college next year.....that is, if he sells enough 'ukulele strings!)

My husband will be there showing off his cargo bikes...loaded with ukuleles, of course!

Check out the vendor page to see who else is going to be there.

Gotta run.....it'll be Friday, and opening night at the Napa Valley Opera House, before I know it. By the way...we still have tickets to the show, Radio WCUF: Live from the Napa Valley Opera House. Come out and show your support for live music and the musicians who have been working so hard to make it happen!

See you soon,

Elaine
Festival Organizer

I signed up for eight workshops, three of which are two-parters (fretboard roadmaps, chord melodies, and my three strums) as well as improvisation with Daniel Ho and diminished returns). I know I'm going to be too busy to watch any of the performances, but I was hoping at the time I signed up to cram as much learning into the weekend as I could. (I'm not sure I'd do that again if given the choice!) I may perform at the open mic on Saturday night with the San Francisco Ukulele Rebellion meetup group. I hope to see/meet a bunch of UUers.

I might try to add the Daniel Ho Improv class if there's still room. The dumb thing is that I'm driving back down to San Jose for a class with Jason Arimoto on Saturday night. I should try to bring him back with me on Sunday :)

I might try to add the Daniel Ho Improv class if there's still room. The dumb thing is that I'm driving back down to San Jose for a class with Jason Arimoto on Saturday night. I should try to bring him back with me on Sunday :)

You definitely should try to bring Jason back on Sunday. I hope I have a chance to take a workshop with him sometime soon. Maybe he could hold a few workshops at the 2013 festival.

See you next weekend!

You definitely should try to bring Jason back on Sunday. I hope I have a chance to take a workshop with him sometime soon. Maybe he could hold a few workshops at the 2013 festival.

See you next weekend!

Hey Mark. Short notice, but he's got these two dates going on right before the festival: Bay Area 'ukulele workshops with Jason Arimoto! --- Oakland, CA: Sept. 5th & 6th at the Executive Inn & Suites, 1755 Embarcadero, Oakland, CA starting 5:00PM. For more info: call the Holistic Honu Wellness Center at (916) 416-0491, or email info@holistichonu.com

Hey Mark. Short notice, but he's got these two dates going on right before the festival: Bay Area 'ukulele workshops with Jason Arimoto! --- Oakland, CA: Sept. 5th & 6th at the Executive Inn & Suites, 1755 Embarcadero, Oakland, CA starting 5:00PM. For more info: call the Holistic Honu Wellness Center at (916) 416-0491, or email info@holistichonu.com

Thanks, Gary! This Wednesday and Thursday I have rehearsals for my ukulele class's gig on Maui, but I'll keep my eyes open for other workshops Jason is planning to give. I'd even consider driving to San Jose. :)

I'm in the same boat, classes both days to absorb as much as I can but I'm up for a jam session during lunch!
Let's do it!

Awe Ken...one of my favorite people I have ever met behind an Ukulele- be nice to watch you play again
I'll be there. I'll have a stall, will do a set on Sunday afternoon and give 4 workshops. I think it is going to be a busy weekend. Please come and say hello.

Please bring lots of Living Water strings with you!

I'll be there on Saturday. I'm signed up for G Ross--'Jive' and 'Swing' (hoping that my sense of rhythm improves); D Ho--Improv and P Hemmings--chord melodies. I hope I have time to stop by Gott's before heading home. It will be good to meet some of the Bay Area UUers. I'm also looking forward to talking with Gordon/Char about my soon to be started MM baritone.

I'm looking forward to meeting you. I'm also taking Daniel Ho's Improv class and the chord melodies workshops. I've taken workshops with Gerald Ross the past two years, and I think you're going to really like the workshops of his you're taking this year. BTW, I'm mulling over whether to bring my Mya-Moe baritone with me. I'm definitely bringing my Mya-Moe tenor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom