WTB: Curly Maple/solid spruce top Baritone, Kala? Lanikai? or ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've decided to dally with a baritone for a little while, and would like it to be something like the curly maple, spruce topped ukes that were a little more common a few years ago, perhaps do some upgrades on it while I'm at it. Christmas is coming, a maple pono tenor might be nice too, or concert. (see how easily distracted I get)

No baritones, a tenor maybe?

Last edited:
Apparently Mya Moe makes a $1000+ one in that style. I hadn't realized they were more common. It's a shame you can't find them anymore! After much video-shopping and reading, I think that spruce + maple might give me the baritone sound I'm looking for... or, at the very least, is worth trying out.

I'll let you know if I find any good sources! So far, the closest I can find in a lower price range is Kala's spruce-mahogany baritone, which is available on The Ukulele Site.

Also, spruce-rosewood is not bad, and MUCH more readily available. Seems to be the standard for spruce-top baritones...

I've got 3 bari's, and am thinking about another tenor, so I could use to cut some of the herd loose. I've got an almost new Lanikai S-B that came predamaged. Plays and sounds great. had a top crack along top seam [which I glued and is stable, no movement] a nasty scratch on the top, and a chip on the back. these are really a lot of uke for the price. I also have a tenor in this same model on loan. I could sell it for $100 + shipping, so you can try the bari size on the cheap. they go for around $200, maybe a little less on a good day.

Last edited:
Bruko makes a sweet-looking spruce/maple baritone.

Come to think of it, wasn't one recently listed on the marketplace?

Yeah, I saw it. I wish I hadn't passed up those Pono's a few years back, some nice maple/spruce topped models. Yes, the rosewood sides and back model is a good alternative. Going to be looking at Ohana's new sinker redwood topped rosewood ukes in early November.

Yes it was.... It is now living in my office :)

Beautiful instrument. Did you decide to keep it? I noticed that you had it up for auction for a while on Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom