What does an asterick next to a chord letter mean?

I see it in some songs and am not sure how to play it or what it means.

I am interested in the responses. As far as I can tell it is not a standardized symbol. It can be a 3/4 measure when everything else is a 4/4 measure. It can be a different chord voicing. It can be a diminished. Depressing the sustain pedal in piano. The person writing the tab should specify its meaning. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

As far as I know it means either:

-you drop the bottom finger on a chord.

or

-play it as a barre chord instead of an open chord.

Those are the two cases I've seen in a number of tabs, but it was always in a description at the bottom to explain it.

edit:
I've just read: "SYMBOLIC REPRESENTATION OF MUSICAL CHORDS: A PROPOSEDSYNTAX FOR TEXT ANNOTATIONS"

http://ismir2005.ismir.net/proceedings/1080.pdf

It says:

To
make the shorthand system more exible a special `omit
degree' symbol, an asterisk *, is also added to denote a
missing interval from a shorthand notated chord.

After that there are some examples.

Last edited:
I see it in some songs and am not sure how to play it or what it means.

I don't believe that's a standard notation...the meaning should have been in the tab. Maybe as a footnote or something. You may have to try a few chord flavors to see which one fits in the progression best. Just my guess...

If you look at the chord chart for that one, he's given you an alternate fingering for the A chord higher up the neck at that one point in the song.

If you look at the chord chart for that one, he's given you an alternate fingering for the A chord higher up the neck at that one point in the song.

Richard's chord sheets are consistantly great. Working up the neck like that in small doses is great for beginners and it sounds excellent.

Top Bottom