Weird things you love about the ukulele

sillymonky

Reaction score
The body of my Lanikai concert is about the same length as my forearm. I love that I can walk around holding it (while not playing it) with the bottom of the body pressed against my bicep and my fingers on the top of the body near where the neck attaches. It's sorta comforting - it feels like it wants to live there :)

Any other strange and well-loved ukulele attributes out there?

When people come up to me when I'm playing and ask "what kind of guitar is that?"

I just love it when people see it before hearing it, look sceptical, then watching their faces change when they start to listen. As an example, our group today played a benefit for a Cancer Charity. We were THE act, and we didn't know what to expect. Walked in to a much larger crowd than expected (150pus) and a clientele that we really thought would be a tough crowd. We were booked to do a 45 min set, they loved it, we played for two hours. First couple of songs got raised eyebrows, by the end we had them singing along!

I love that there are so many shapes and sizes and colors and different woods (not to mention plastic and carbon fiber) and finishes and kinds of strings and numbers of strings and they're **all** ukuleles.

Kathryn

I also haven't started using a strap (not sure if I will), so I hold my uke across my chest when playing. When I really get good resonance out of the uke, I love the fact that I can feel it resonate my chest cavity as well. Add that to getting a good resonance while singing, and the feeling is wicked :)

I love just holding it while others are playing and feeling the soundboard vibrate in sympathy with the other instruments.

Aside from puppies, newborn babies and the like, I think a ukulele is the only thing that can instantly make people smile when they see it.

The body of my Lanikai concert is about the same length as my forearm. I love that I can walk around holding it (while not playing it) with the bottom of the body pressed against my bicep and my fingers on the top of the body near where the neck attaches. It's sorta comforting - it feels like it wants to live there :)

Any other strange and well-loved ukulele attributes out there?

Reminds me of a football hold. You a football player by any chance ? :)

I like the fact that my Uke has managed to survive the years.. probably brought a smile to many a face.. and should continue to do so whilst on my watch !!! :)

I love how different each uke sounds, when you really listen. Even had the exact same models, each sound different.

i like the surprise on peoples faces when you play songs they don't expect, i also like the smile it pastes on everybodies lips when you start playing it

I don't know if I'd call it weird, but I feel it's worth mentioning.
I love how hearing me play Greensleeves on the uke got my father interested in playing the guitar again after I don't know how many years (more than 30 for sure, I never saw him playing).
Today I was practicing in his living room, he told me he used to play this same piece on the guitar when he was young, and asked me if I knew where his guitar method was.
I'm looking forwards to being able to play with him.

I love the smell of the uke when I open the case. Weird? Maybe.

i like the ...

"it's so cute your little guitar, is it for kiddies?"...

Top Bottom