PDA

View Full Version : Weird things you love about the ukulele

sillymonky
09-02-2012, 07:54 AM
The body of my Lanikai concert is about the same length as my forearm. I love that I can walk around holding it (while not playing it) with the bottom of the body pressed against my bicep and my fingers on the top of the body near where the neck attaches. It's sorta comforting - it feels like it wants to live there :)

Any other strange and well-loved ukulele attributes out there?

devinrigg
09-02-2012, 08:02 AM
When people come up to me when I'm playing and ask "what kind of guitar is that?"

bazmaz
09-02-2012, 08:14 AM
I just love it when people see it before hearing it, look sceptical, then watching their faces change when they start to listen. As an example, our group today played a benefit for a Cancer Charity. We were THE act, and we didn't know what to expect. Walked in to a much larger crowd than expected (150pus) and a clientele that we really thought would be a tough crowd. We were booked to do a 45 min set, they loved it, we played for two hours. First couple of songs got raised eyebrows, by the end we had them singing along!

kvehe
09-02-2012, 08:16 AM
I love that there are so many shapes and sizes and colors and different woods (not to mention plastic and carbon fiber) and finishes and kinds of strings and numbers of strings and they're **all** ukuleles.

Kathryn

sillymonky
09-02-2012, 08:25 AM
I also haven't started using a strap (not sure if I will), so I hold my uke across my chest when playing. When I really get good resonance out of the uke, I love the fact that I can feel it resonate my chest cavity as well. Add that to getting a good resonance while singing, and the feeling is wicked :)

Freeda
09-02-2012, 08:47 AM
I love just holding it while others are playing and feeling the soundboard vibrate in sympathy with the other instruments.

sillymonky
09-02-2012, 08:50 AM
I love just holding it while others are playing and feeling the soundboard vibrate in sympathy with the other instruments.

Oooooooo...you just gave me my reason for checking out the local uke jam :) Thanks!

NatalieS
09-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Aside from puppies, newborn babies and the like, I think a ukulele is the only thing that can instantly make people smile when they see it.

v30
09-02-2012, 09:26 AM
The body of my Lanikai concert is about the same length as my forearm. I love that I can walk around holding it (while not playing it) with the bottom of the body pressed against my bicep and my fingers on the top of the body near where the neck attaches. It's sorta comforting - it feels like it wants to live there :)

Any other strange and well-loved ukulele attributes out there?

Reminds me of a football hold. You a football player by any chance ? :)

fxrskrsa
09-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Aside from puppies, newborn babies and the like, I think a ukulele is the only thing that can instantly make people smile when they see it.

Ditto the above !!! :)

Lalz
09-02-2012, 09:31 AM
I like that my Peanut has a narrow waist that I can hold with one hand. Makes for a great teddy bear when I fall asleep playing it late at night.

fxrskrsa
09-02-2012, 09:51 AM
I like the fact that my Uke has managed to survive the years.. probably brought a smile to many a face.. and should continue to do so whilst on my watch !!! :)

Doc_J
09-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I love how different each uke sounds, when you really listen. Even had the exact same models, each sound different.

kaizersoza
09-02-2012, 12:25 PM
i like the surprise on peoples faces when you play songs they don't expect, i also like the smile it pastes on everybodies lips when you start playing it

TCK
09-02-2012, 12:38 PM
I like the fact that everyone who sees one wants to learn how to play it

The Village Woodworker
09-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Ukuleles are like smiles - they make people feel good about themselves - and it is infectious.

Hippie Dribble
09-02-2012, 02:03 PM

YES!!!!!!! So true Nat. :)

Fermin
09-02-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't know if I'd call it weird, but I feel it's worth mentioning.
I love how hearing me play Greensleeves on the uke got my father interested in playing the guitar again after I don't know how many years (more than 30 for sure, I never saw him playing).
Today I was practicing in his living room, he told me he used to play this same piece on the guitar when he was young, and asked me if I knew where his guitar method was.
I'm looking forwards to being able to play with him.

Canoe Lady
09-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I love the smell of the uke when I open the case. Weird? Maybe.

patico
09-02-2012, 08:11 PM
i like the ...

"it's so cute your little guitar, is it for kiddies?"...

MisterRios
09-03-2012, 02:22 AM
I love the look people give me when I pull the uke out of the case after telling them I play ukulele. They expect some toy, but the Ohana pineapple I have has really nice wood, so it goes from toy status (unseen) to expensive mini-instrument in about a millisecond. I usually launch directly into Five Foot Two, which is virtually unknown in Germany, so people can't tell how badly I butcher it.

Lalz
09-03-2012, 03:49 AM
Funny that the ukulele is still considered a novelty in so many places. Here in North East England it's quite established as an instrument. Actually, it's classified here as a "folk" instrument, same category as the Irish harp, the mandolin and the bag-pipe, hehe :)

dash213
09-03-2012, 04:28 AM
I like the smell from the sound hole. I always stick my nose in there and get a great big whiff! Is that wrong? :confused:

joekulele
09-03-2012, 06:35 AM
I like the way my kindergarten students start playing "air uke" when we sing our school songs. I've had parents come up to me and ask where they can get a ukulele for their kid for Christmas because, "Teacher plays one!"

NatalieS
09-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Funny that the ukulele is still considered a novelty in so many places. Here in North East England it's quite established as an instrument. Actually, it's classified here as a "folk" instrument, same category as the Irish harp, the mandolin and the bag-pipe, hehe :)

It's very much a novelty where I am. I did a recent performance where every person who came up to me beforehand said something cliche' like ,"Ooh, our own Tiny Tim!"... "Where's my hula skirt?" ... "It's like a little toy". I didn't get any of those remarks after the show, though, come to think of it! People just smiled and said they'd enjoyed my playing.

sillymonky
09-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Reminds me of a football hold. You a football player by any chance ? :)

That's the one with the pointy ball, right? :) Can't say that I am, but I suppose I can see one of the reasons it might be popular with the young'uns ;)

Garydavkra
09-03-2012, 04:55 PM
To me the ukulele has an very positive energy that is unique. It has it own aura. I like the look and feel of the wood. There is something so natural and alive about it. It's kind of like an adult Teddy Bear that can sing.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-03-2012, 06:36 PM
I like handing my uke over to someone who doesn't know how to play, showing her a couple of chords and watching her as she makes music.

sillymonky
09-04-2012, 06:02 AM
To me the ukulele has an very positive energy that is unique. It has it own aura. I like the look and feel of the wood. There is something so natural about and alive about it. It's kind of like an adult Teddy Bear that can sing.

Well said!

Tycho Brahe
09-04-2012, 08:20 AM
I love that you can't play a sad song on the ukulele. (high g standard tuning anyway)

caroljean
09-04-2012, 04:07 PM

Even at the airport :-) I put my uke on the conveyor belt at PDX and a TSA agent beamed. "is that a ukulele?" I told her that it was. She just kind of squealed.

808boy
09-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Aloha,
Not weird, but cool. Back in the day (early 60s) only a handfull of kids brought their ukes to school and it definitely WAS a CHICK MAGNET. Neat way to meet girls..................................

gitarzan
09-04-2012, 05:07 PM
I sometimes play uke with some folkies. So, I'm playing with folks playing guitars, banjos, dulcimers, harps, harmonicas, etc. (mostly guitars), and we all just play cowboy chords. When a crowd gathers, guess what they all seem to looking, pointing and smiling at? Me and my little ukulele. :o

ukunuke
09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
I like handing my uke over to someone who doesn't know how to play, showing her a couple of chords and watching her as she makes music.

Hey my Portland uke friend: I loved your post after being up at Wallowa Lake this past weekend and teaching a friend a few chords. She's hooked. It's on her birthday list. She totally understood why it's the last thing I do before bed each night, just to feel a calm and peace about how easy life can be if we choose it. It was such a cool moment - I totally "get" your comment!