Can your uke live in a gig bag?

SmilingPanda

Reaction score
I recently got a Fusion F1 gig bag
(review thread here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...imited-Edition-Ukulele-Gig-bag-Initial-Review)

I'm loving the bag, but my question is, can my uke live in the gig bag? Or would it be better off back in it's hard case? I keep my ukes in their cases when I'm not playing them, and I had intended to keep my ukes in their cases and only pop them into the F1 when I was taking them out and about... but that hasn't happened as of yet :p

My Pono got but in the F1 and has been living in there ever since. I have a herco humidifier in there so as long as the gig bag is holding the humidity in (which I guess I don't know if it actually is) it should be just as good as the case right?

Gig bag owners, do you tend to keep your ukes in your gig bags or do you move them from case to bag?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't keep my uke in my gig bag and should instead get it back into it's hard case?

Earthquake country = hard cases all around for me.

Hello from Minnesota. Winters can be tough on a Uke in the northern climates. A good hygrometer will tell you if you have a problem. Hard cases hold the humidity better than the gig bags. You have two nice Ukes and I would think some hard cases and some humidifiers for the Michigan winters would be worth it

Last edited:
Honestly, I think too many people obsess over humidity. Unless you live in a really dry climate, I don't see the need. Then again, a lot of people think it's cool to hang their ukes on the wall unprotected from the elements. I just put mine away in their cases/bags when I'm done.

I broke down and bought a cheapo hygrometer, it may not be 100% accurate, but it gives me a relative reading and so far it's pretty much been in the normal range.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BKDO8/

Honestly, I think too many people obsess over humidity. Unless you live in a really dry climate, I don't see the need. .....

It's not just the outdoor climate, it's the conditions in the interior space in which the ukulele is kept. San Francisco, for example, can be foggy and that sounds a lot like there's adequate humidity, but it's also cold, and if someone is heating his or her apartment with certain types of heat, the apartment or home can be too dry for an ukulele even though it's drizzly (i.e., humid) outdoors. I would recommend getting an inexpensive hygrometer to determine how humid it is in the ukuleles' living space. If it's dry, you should humidity your ukulele. Whether you do that in a case or in a gig bag may be a function of just how dry the living space is.

What would you call dry?

don't know for sure but 40 - 60 % is great. Outside that for too isn't good for the wood.

Winters in northern US are usually low inside humidity due to the furnace.

The gig bag will not hold the humidity as well as a hard case. I have to say, I am a big believer in having the uke properly humidified. I bought a nice uke that had a peak in it's back seam, and now that I have kept it humidified for several months, the seam is flat. It is stored in the gig bag in came in, with a thick plastic bag around it. I am using one of those plastic zippered bags that bedspreads/ blankets/ pillows are sold in, and it can hold 2 sopranos in gig bags very nicely.

–Lori

Top Bottom