New Kala U-Bass Model

maikii

Reaction score
Concerning the acoustic U-bass models (not the solid bodies), there were two models available, one all solid mahogany, the other (less expensive) laminate mahogany with a solid spruce top. Is that correct?

Now I see a third one offered, the Kala Exotic Mahogany Ubass Em Fs. It is labeled as "exotic mahogany", and is priced similarly to the spruce top.

Anyone familiar with this model?

If it was solid exotic mahogany, it would cost more than the other models. And the word solid appears nowhere. Therefore I assume that no part of this model is solid, and that it only has a thin veneer of exotic mahogany on the top, strictly for looks. Does anyone know though?

I would guess then, that if one were deciding between that model and the spruce top, the latter might have a better sound, with the solid spruce top.

Has anyone here actually tried the em model though, and could comment on its sound, and how it compares with the others?

Thank you.

We have the exotic mahogany but didn't list it yet on our site. It's the least expensive U-Bass. All laminate. If you can spring for it, the all solid models have better hardware and tone.

We have the exotic mahogany but didn't list it yet on our site. It's the least expensive U-Bass. All laminate. If you can spring for it, the all solid models have better hardware and tone.

Thanks for the info. How about the spruce top model? How does its sound compare with the others?

The acoustic models all have the same pickup so the sound is extremely similar, especially when plugged in. The higher end ones have better tuning keys, or at least they're more durable for the long run. They seem to come with a slightly better factory setup, but if the store has your back on this you'll be fine either way. The main things we fix are super high nut slots, which they get away with because of the easy rubbery tension but it can cause intonation problems. And replacing individual strings for intonation problems caused by some kind of imbalance in density from not stretching right or whatever reason. I think they're all super fun though.

With regards to intonation, are there less problems with Thunderguts?

With regards to intonation, are there less problems with Thunderguts?

Ya, what's the deal with those. I thought we would have seen them by now. Are those not being distributed in the US yet? I will ask Kala or Aquila tomorrow. I mean later today. Anyone here tried these? From what I've seen online it seems like they sound way better unplugged, or at least louder. That's kinda cool.

Hi there,
A couple of people on Ebay and the main online dealers for strings carry them.

Ya, what's the deal with those. I thought we would have seen them by now. Are those not being distributed in the US yet? I will ask Kala or Aquila tomorrow. I mean later today. Anyone here tried these? From what I've seen online it seems like they sound way better unplugged, or at least louder. That's kinda cool.

ya, gotta try them soon. I think they may be too bright once plugged in, just my prediction, but we'll see.

I didn't know there was a difference in the tuners and the action.

However, despite the pickups being the same, wouldn't there be a difference in the resonance of the wood--laminate vs. solid, etc.? What about when they are played unplugged?

If one were to decide between the spruce top and the new exotic mahogany model, I would think that the latter would look fancier. However, I would guess (without having heard them) that the spruce top, being solid, might sound better? However, would like to hear from someone who has actually heard them.

The acoustic models all have the same pickup so the sound is extremely similar, especially when plugged in. The higher end ones have better tuning keys, or at least they're more durable for the long run. They seem to come with a slightly better factory setup, but if the store has your back on this you'll be fine either way. The main things we fix are super high nut slots, which they get away with because of the easy rubbery tension but it can cause intonation problems. And replacing individual strings for intonation problems caused by some kind of imbalance in density from not stretching right or whatever reason. I think they're all super fun though.

I didn't know there was a difference in the tuners and the action.

However, despite the pickups being the same, wouldn't there be a difference in the resonance of the wood--laminate vs. solid, etc.? What about when they are played unplugged?

If one were to decide between the spruce top and the new exotic mahogany model, I would think that the latter would look fancier. However, I would guess (without having heard them) that the spruce top, being solid, might sound better? However, would like to hear from someone who has actually heard them.

There's a lot of factors that go into the quality of your bass sound. Most of that happens after the bass, but with that in mind, the all solid ones are best. I have an Acacia one now and Mike (mgm) has the all solid mahogany one that he gigs with every week. That's what he's known for in the local music scene.

Here, I shot a video real quick and then pulled out my hair for hours trying to learn the new final cut pro from the old one, stupid software, they make you actually have to learn something..ouch my brain, anyway... here is the setup.- I plugged the exotic mahogany U-Bass into a Boss DR-880 drum machine using the clean bass preset and going straight into a zoom recorder. From there I plugged in my new baritone (not sure why I never had a bari before) Pono passive pickup into DR 800 with the generic acoustic setting. I didn't want to plug in a mic and compare because it wouldn't even show the subtleties of what makes the better models better. But this new one from them is pretty much like the spruce top ones cheaper tuners and less final setup but pretty much the same sound. None sound wonderful acoustic. But the Spruce top will be a bit better than this model when unplugged. The all solid ones are just a bit punchiner, it's subtle though. In moke -"she go"

thanks for the video. You mention passive pickup for the baritone. What about the pickup for the ubass? Was it active or passive? Is there a audible difference when plugged?

Top Bottom