New Gotoh peg tuners from HOSCO

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Im just copy and pasting this email- Some good looking new pegs HOSCO/Gotoh are launching in October in Shanghai.

gotoh.jpggotoh1.jpggotah.jpg from HOSCO

New Ukulele pegs are now launched.
A new concept in ukulele tuners, developed with GOTOH’s superior processing technology.
This is tuning pin type but with gear ratio of 1 : 4, that offers user-friendly tuning.
Model Button option Available finishesUPT UBB, UBN, UB4B, UB4N, UB7, UB8 CW, G, B
UPTL UBB, UBN, UB4B, UB4N, UB7, UB8 CW, G, B
CW = Chrome White, G = Gold, B = Black
Remark : UPT is for head thickness 10 to 12mm
UPTL is for head thickness 11.5 to 13.5mm

Rummaging around the catalog, I see the MTS tuning system. Looks to me like they want to patent the compensated nut.

Non-plastic Pegheads! Gorgeous. Just what I was waiting for.

Or how to make you headstock really heavy! These are ugly and over engineered. Pegheds are the answer if you want friction style tuners but can't cope with friction action... these look like 5 Star/Schaller knock offs!

Or how to make you headstock really heavy! These are ugly and over engineered. Pegheds are the answer if you want friction style tuners but can't cope with friction action... these look like 5 Star/Schaller knock offs!

If they are going to make this type of tuner, the gear box needs to be smaller for the smaller uke sizes. These pegs look very similar to the 5 Star Planet tuners made for dulcimers. I have been using these for at least 10 years on ukes from concert size and up. They are a bit heavy for some ukes, but to me they are not quit as ugly as the ukes with the ears sticking out the sides. I personally don't care for Pegheds because they look like violin pegs, not uke pegs. Plus, I hate the idea of having to glue a peg into the head to get it to stay put over the long haul, lousy idea IMO.

Interesting alternative. Depends on the weight and price to see if they are a good alternative. Those gear bodies do look kinda big. I think they would look funny on a 10mm thick headstock.

Might be nice for a banjo uke, but they look way too heavy for soprano and concerts...I'll probably try a set when I can get them anyway--Just will have to hang sinkers off the strap button to counter the weight!!

I like a metal alternative to plastic pegheads. I wonder what the weight difference is on these vs geared tuners.

Some more info:

The ones we weighed were 16g each. They come in two different string post lengths. There are three body finishes (chrome white, gold, black) and six official button options. (Ivoroid buttons are non-standard.)

Here's a photo we took with them installed on a headstock:
Gotoh-UPT-JP1-G-Display.jpg

I'd be happy to at least try to answer an questions anyone has. The company I work for is an official Gotoh agent and the original concept of these tuners came from my partner in the company, Yusuke Kawakami.

2.3 ounces for a whole set...not bad! Very usable weight--between standard closed tuners and Pegheads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv2O-PfdFWU See 4:00min

I'd buy these in an instant--Gotoh tuners are The Bomb! Love them. And they look sharp!

I'm having a custom uke built in California, and wondering if the luthier (who has never used these) would have to do anything different than standard friction tuners for the installation, japarts.

Last edited:
The diameter of the borehole would likely need to be wider (9.5mm), but that's about it, as far as I know. (Keeping in mind I'm the half of the company that only plays ukulele.) I'd be happy to pass along a diagram with all the measurements to your luthier. Armed with that, they'd know what's possible.

Top Bottom