Any suggestions on a decent beginners uke?

Arlene

Reaction score
Currently I own a Rogue soprano ukulele. It's very low-end. I bought it for $30.00 on ebay. I love it, it sounds good, there's nothing wrong with it. However, I would like to upgrade to something a little better soon. From what I understand, better quality uke's have better sound. I've been playing for a month, and now that I know some chords I'm picking up songs quickly. I would prefer to not go over $200.00 on my next ukulele. Any suggestions would be great. Also, I want to buy an electric one in the next 6 months or so, so any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks guys! :)

Never owned one,but most folk give the Kala range
a thumbs up,for an 'intermediate' uke,after your first
'starter uke'. Or Lanikai?

Hi Arlene. What size are you looking for? Ohana makes some nice Ukes in that price range. If you don't have a dealer that know Ukes I would suggest talking to Mim or Uke Republic. Either will work with you and get the right Uke for you.

Happy hunting, good luck and keep us posted

I really like my flea. I have even had nice ukes like Kamaka and always liked having a flea. Didn't have to worry about dings,humidity,etc. I could always leave it out. So I played more. Can take it anywhere. I like having a flea for taking anywhere and a high end uke. It's been a good combination for me. Mainland seems popular for a wood uke, or call/email Hawaii music supply and ask them for advice. They will be very helpful and it will come set up properly.

Up to that price, I'd say Flea, Bruko 6 or one of the Kala or Ohana entry level ukes that list as having solid wood tops or better, all solid. Incidentally, the Bruko is all solid and a cracking price.

Possibly also a Mainland if you can stretch to it - highly recommended

Thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm looking over each brand! Someone had asked what kind of ukulele, I'm looking for a soprano. :)

(def check out Bruko then!)

I kind of get a little warped out of shape when people talk about getting a "good beginner's" instrument (uke, guitar, what have you) especially when looking at a second instrument.

All too often what people mean by "beginner's uke" is one that's not too expensive - unfortunately, the worst thing for a beginner is a uke that is too cheap. Beginners learn faster with fewer false starts and failures when they begin with good instruments. If you get an inexpensive uke with poor action and poor intonation you will often be discouraged and you will simply never develop a good ear.

Fortunately, in your case you're looking at ukes around $200 and there are some pretty good options at that price range, assuming that you're looking at a soprano. That will get you into a decent uke set up by a pro like HMS, etc. or a Mainland soprano, maybe a Bruko if you're in Europe or can find a good deal on one over here. If you are going to buy a Kala I strongly recommend buying from a real, no-kidding uke dealer who sets them up - even Kala's top end models are very hit and miss on the setup. You might also check to see if Pono still has their sale going on seconds - from everything I've heard they're set up well and the blemishes that make them a second are pretty insignificant.

Whatever you do, don't settle! This is your second uke, get one that is good enough that it could be your last uke if necessary. If that means you need to wait a couple of months to spend a little more, go ahead and wait, it's not like you don't have anything to play right now. Get too little uke and you'll be looking at needing another upgrade in a few months or another year. Get enough uke that you'll never need an upgrade (though that's not to say you might not want one, of course).

John

Last edited:
I started about 8 months ago with a very cheap (~$30) uke. I could tell it was a crappy uke but I had no idea what to look for in a better instrument, the woods used, the sizes, the shapes, and the makes... it was all very confusing (still is!). I started looking at the Flea and Fluke ukes because I couldn't find any bad reviews on them. Finally got a Fluke and really love it. I can see myself getting a really nice solid wood uke in the future but for now this Fluke feels and sounds like a much more expensive uke and it's a true pleasure to play. There was no setup or adjustments required, just tuned it and started playing. Playing a better quality uke really makes you want to sit down and see if you can play the tune just a little bit better this time than last. Check out the Flea if you need a smaller size. Good luck!

I have a Flea with a tenor neck. Bought it from Elderly Instruments for $199 with bag and free shippping. It's the natural top. Like ogg, I didn't see any negative comments and I wanted a uke that I didn't have to worry too much about it getting banged up or playing it outside. I was really surprised at the tone quality. The strings are close to the frets. It's comfortable to hold because the back edges are rounded. However, if you want a solid wood model, consider a Mainland because their price is about the same. I think you would be happy with either though. Of course, there are lots of others to choose from and the process of choosing can be daunting. Good Luck!

I honestly would buy another blem/refurb Pono I'm so impressed with mine. I had a 2005 model and this is far superior. Or I'd go with Ohana or Mainland. If you want inexpensive and have someone who can do a good setup, the Lanikai line is pretty darn good for the price. Fleas are in my opinion overpriced for what you get, but that's just me. I would try to play one in person first.

High action will make any uke harder to play, so be aware of that whatever you get. I generally set up all of mine now as soon as I get them, I find most of the new ones too high for my tastes. The only one I didn't need to mess with was believe it or not a Dolphin. It was unusual as most now have super tall saddles.

A brand spankin' new Mainland concert in Mahogany is under $200 and they are so good, you'd be happy playing. When strung with D'Addario or Southcoast (my choice) or Worths (not Aquilas) they are sweet, well set up and easy to play. Mike at Uke Republic has them at a good price, and several other sellers here do too. If you wait, occasionally a tenor Mainland used comes up for sale around 200 or Mike gets "blemished" (not perfect gloss) tenors under 200 but it's only about every half year or so.

My first uke came from our hospitals second hand shop. I was there doing my usually Monday night volunteer work - helping to tidy up and put out new stock for the week. It was missing 2 strings and the nut ... and was going to be thrown away. So I took it home :) It is a Beaver Creek. I used it for learning chords on, got a second uke, and my daughter took the BC and painted it and had fun with it. Now she is using it to learn her chords on.

My second uke is a Kala Saprano. I love it. My hubby bought it for me as a surprise. I recently had a chance to try out some ukes at the store he got it at ... and in the price range we were willing to work in, it was the one I would have picked out.

We are waiting for our daughters second uke to get it; recently purchsed an Applause by Ovation off eBay. It's her b-day gift ... shhhh don't tell her :) She was looking at ukes online, and we know she wanted something that wasn't a "standard" uke look. Hope she likes it.

I have told my hubby that for my next uke I want a concert one. Tried one out at the store and really liked it. Don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for it though. :)

Happy Uke Hunting!!

Top Bottom