Guitar semi acoustic can i put nylon strings on it?

cantcook1

Reaction score
As the question states i have a semi acoustic guitar, metal strings, as i have been playing a uke over the last year. Can i put nylon strings on this semi acoustic guitar. Would there be any major no nos if you know what i mean.

Thanks

I think you can, but the sound you'll probably get won't be that great. An acoustic is built much heavier than a classical, I don't think the nylon strings will be able to really 'drive' the soundboard.

AetherBlue is correct. You won't ruin the guitar like you could if you put steel strings on a classical, but there isn't enough tension in nylon strings to really make an acoustic top resonate as intended. But if volume isn't a concern, why not give it a try?

The other thing is that classicals are usually tied on at the bridge and most acoustics use bridge pins instead. Nylon strings are also generally thicker than their steel counterparts.

You won't get any sound out of the pickups if you plug in, either, if your guitar has magnetic pickups.

Thanks to all, i will purchase light metal ones.

I agree with others. Why did you want to put nylon strings on? If it's the tone, I guess you have no choice (or purchase a nylon string guitar). If it's the playability (softer strings), you can get a silk and steel set. It's like an extra-light gauge (which you can use, too). Are you planning to get the sound amplified?

Also I think a silk and steel set has a ball end so it fits.

Cheers
Chief

CHiefnoda, Thanks for your answers, softer strings is the aim. My guitar is semi acoustic so sound will be amplified.

Thanks Again.

CHiefnoda, Thanks for your answers, softer strings is the aim. My guitar is semi acoustic so sound will be amplified.

You need to take a look at the pick-up. If it's a magnetic PU, silk and steel may not work or may - I am not 100 % sure. A better bet is am extra light (acoustic) set, or even a super slinky electric set. You look at the diameter of the first string: light gauge is 12, extra light and silk and steel are 10 or 11; electric light is 11? electric extra light is 10 or 9. Smaller than softer.

If you have a piezo PU (under the saddle, etc; they sense the vibration of the top/string), you can use silk and steel.

Cheers
Chief

PS: Also, getting the guitar properly set-up makes the world of difference in playability - the action however depends on the string gauge so you need to experiment.

If you only want to play it acoustically, try a set of brasswound acoustic strings. Should have a nicer sound than bronzewound on a semi.

Top Bottom