Wondering about Roy Smeck Harmony

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I've got a couple of Roy Smeck Harmony sopranos stashed away somewhere and I've been wondering about throwing on a set of Aquila's and playing one. Does anyone play one of these regularly and if you do what stings do you use? I'm cheap and dont want to put a new set of strings on one if I'm going to be disappointed. I know the intonation is real good but the last time I played one it had the original strings on it and sounded OK so I just put it away and forgot about them.

Got one - a 50's Harmony w/bakelite fretboard. Sweet, plinky, but mellow sound. I have Martin 600's on mine - I like them much better than Aquila's on older mahogany ukes. Mine has a bit of buzz as the fretboard isn't tight to the neck in one spot, but I just never bother to fix it - it still sounds THAT good.

Mahalo!

Thanks , I've always been a fan of m600's but thought this uke might need Aquila's. I havent paid much attention to them but now I think I'll put a set of m600's on one and have some fun.

I like mine with Martins also. Mine has a sweet mahogany sound. It also has a a plastic fretboard that causes a clicking or buzzing because of the nut but a piece of paper can fix that. It doesn't bother me much though and isn't really that bad. Mine is built from very thin wood and it is as light as any old Martin and almost as light as my Kumalae. The light construction makes for a nice loud little ukulele. I hope you enjoy yours. If not I'm sure you can find them good homes :)

I have a early Roy Smeck Harmony Vita mahogany spruce top soprano
ukulele..at first I got it wasn't played much...cleaned it up and polished it..restreched the strings and it sounds sweet...has ko'olau alohi strings
it's an early model...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO7RqhLjsrc
very fun uke..love it man..:) my frets is directly on the neck and there is no fretboard..no bees here..

Last edited:
Thanks all for the string tips, I'm about ready to string my Roy Smeck up too and was pondering the same question. I've also got a poplar Harmony of about the same age with Aquila ADF#B's on it and its a real pleasure to play, but I was thinking fluorocarbons may sound better on the mahogany.

Wow , old age sucks. Just remembered I put a set of m600s on my Roy Smeck a long time ago before putting it away. Forgot how nice it sounds. Great uke , nice old time sound .

Top Bottom