Bruce Wei Ukulele

Worker Bee

Reaction score
Hello Everybody ,

I bought a Bruce Wei ukulele over the Ebay and it arrived a few days ago , after about 10 days wait .
It is a Spruce top concert , with some MOP on the neck .

The first thing I noticed on unwrapping is that it looks small.
One comparison with my brandless Concert and Soprano , it seems to be mid sized between the two .

The neck is attached to the body at the 12 fret just like a soprano .

So is this really a Concert or a long neck Soprano .

I would like to have the views of the experienced people here .

Thanks & best regards

Attachments

• Ukulele Size 1.jpg
    Ukulele Size 1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Ukulele Size 2.jpg
    Ukulele Size 2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 55
Or maybe a Sopert.

Now, with a serious answer, the body seems to be the same length as the concert, even if it's thinner. And with the scale being the same too, I'd call it as Concert.
I recall some uke maker saying each body shape has an ideal placement for the bridge, and that they first look for that spot. Once they know when the bridge will be, they see how long the neck needs to be to fit the scale.

I'd like to hear from the makers on the forum, if they have ever tried a shape like that or if they can eyeball it and comment on the placement of that bridge.

going by the scale length, it does seem to be a concert. I agree with Fermin's take.

Ukulele size is determined by the length of the scale not the instruments total length (which varies from maker to maker).

A Concert size is 15 inches measured from the nut to the saddle.

Ukulele size is determined by the length of the scale not the instruments total length (which varies from maker to maker).

A Concert size is 15 inches measured from the nut to the saddle.

Mya Moe offers a "Super Soprano", with the body the same size as their Sopranos and a Concert neck. I've seen others advertise instruments with less fancy nomenclatures, such as "Concert neck Soprano" or "Tenor neck Concert". What would you call those?

The scale length seems to be ok, the body just has very different proportions (yours has a very wide lower bout... sort of reminds me of an ex-girlfriend lol). It is a nice looking ukulele. The question is how does it sound and how do you like it?

I've seen others advertise instruments with less fancy nomenclatures, such as "Concert neck Soprano" or "Tenor neck Concert". What would you call those?

Usually, any Ukulele with a larger neck one scale larger is called a "Super" or "Long Neck" ukulele. (A Super Tenor has a larger body only).

Soprano body with a Concert neck=Super Soprano or Long Neck Soprano.
Concert body with a Tenor Neck=Super Concert or Long Neck Concert.
Super Tenor=Baritone body with a Tenor Neck.

In the end, the different names all refer to the same description.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for your inputs .

Concrano / Sopert / Super / Long Neck / . . . . . . .

Sounds interesting .

Well , it looks extremely "hour-glass" , not so much a bigger lower bout but a smaller upper bout and a even small waist .

It plays pretty OK to me , just a beginner in this field .
Haven't tried anything other than "low end stuff" so far .
The highs are a little clearer and the lows a little more pronounced , compared to the brandless concert I have .
Volume is also a bit more than the laminates .
The strings at the nut seem a little too high , but the saddle and bridge side is OK .
The frets are passable , the lower , or is it higher , from the 8 fret onwards looks like have been bashed with a BIG HAMMER , but I am not using them as a beginner , so that is not crucial .

I like it because it is new and different .
Is it better than current two ?
I think so , to a beginner anything new is another source of joy and excitement .

Thanks again fellas .
Wonderful site

Best Regards
:drool:

Top Bottom