2mm thick, compensated saddle, angled slightly toward the headstock.

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My new Asian uke has what I consider to be a very thin, angled saddle. Nut appears normal. Any ideas on this? Problems it could likely cause? Starting to get a little buzz on 1 and 3, intonation a little off. May need fret job at least. Wonder how this saddle could contribute to it. String height seems ok, tiny bit high, but nothing drastic.

My new Asian uke has what I consider to be a very thin, angled saddle.

The slanting is either a serious design error, or intended to compensate. If latter, nice, although I am not sure of the effectiveness. If you play a low-G, the compensation is "linear" but for a high-G, it's not and slanting the saddle may not do much.

You can always get the saddle slot widened (and cut perpendicular). May cost you $150 - $200. Add fret job for another $200? Or, just live with it "as is"?

Happy Pickin
Chief

Do you mean the saddle is leaning? Not perpendicular to the soundboard? That's not good and could affect your intonation....the 12th fret would sound sharp due to the angle shortening your scale length. If you paid more than 20 bucks for it.....First step would be to return it for a refund and get a uke that plays properly. Most low $$ ukes are very playable these days so there's really no excuse.

Just because a saddle is leaning forward doesn't automatically mean it is problematic. The directions for installing a MiSi pickup call for the saddle to lean forward a bit. You have to make sure to shape the bottom of the saddle so it's flat against the element when the saddle is leaning forward. I've installed 4 this way without any notable issues.

Top Bottom